GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,916
0 members and 1,916 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2014, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Interested in AI

Hi Everybody!

I'm a recent Seven Sister Alum (2013), and as such we were not allowed to have Greek Life on campus. I am currently seeking a 2nd Bachelor's and attempted to rush. I was informed near the end of the process that I could not be extended a bid because I am no longer considered an undergrad.

There are a couple of sororities that I am interested in, but I am open to exploring options not available at my local U as well. I was wondering if anyone has any more detailed information on the process for any of the sororities. The 2 I have found interesting so far have programs for AI but do not actually list the process or much information on them on their websites.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:16 AM

Do you know any NPC members personally?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I have former colleague who is an alum from the sorority I am most interested in, and another sorority high on my list was the one whose VP of service mentioned AI and said they would love if I was involved with them and would like find out more information from her headquarters on how to help me.

Also, there is a sorority colonizing on campus and they have expressed interest in helping me through AI and even potentially having me serve as a potential advisor.

With all the options as an AI I want to make the most informed decision possible. Therefore, I would like to know how individual sororities go about AI. I was going to do Junior League but the city I am in is a southern city where I do not stand a chance at Junior League without being a legacy.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

The women you know should be able to give you the group specific information you need. Policies vary.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Typically AI is an honor bestowed on a woman who has contributed to a sorority without thought of self-benefit. Again, policies vary, so I'm not the voice of authority for all sororities.

Personally I do not see how you could be an advisor without any prior experience. But I don't know where you are, so again, that could be the way things are done.

ETA: if memory serves we had another poster recently who was seeking a 2nd bachelor's and wanted to join a sorority.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatheles View Post
Yes, I have former colleague who is an alum from the sorority I am most interested in, and another sorority high on my list was the one whose VP of service mentioned AI and said they would love if I was involved with them and would like find out more information from her headquarters on how to help me.

Also, there is a sorority colonizing on campus and they have expressed interest in helping me through AI and even potentially having me serve as a potential advisor.

With all the options as an AI I want to make the most informed decision possible. Therefore, I would like to know how individual sororities go about AI. I was going to do Junior League but the city I am in is a southern city where I do not stand a chance at Junior League without being a legacy.
Are you sure? Have you contacted the JL? Most of the leagues welcome membership inquiries.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes I have contacted the JL, the JL and I know several members, the yearly quota is met almost entirely by women who are appx 3 generation JL members at the least.

They suggested the advisor role as the new colony will not have upperclassmen, and they would like to have an older woman involved. I should mention I am non-traditional. I'm not soccer mom old, but I'm considerably older than the traditional college student.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:17 PM

All new colonies have upperclassmen. A group that would come to campus and choose only freshmen and sophomores to colonize is optimistic at best and foolhardy at worst. I'm curious who the "they" are who gave you this information.

I honestly would not choose that as a venue to AI - colonies need advisors who are experienced in Greek life. You might also find yourself serving as a warm body - i.e. you're only there because the group needs someone in close proximity to the campus and the real advising/involvement is being done across the miles.

Your former colleague is probably your best route to an enriching AI and sorority experience.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi Everybody!

I'm a recent Seven Sister Alum (2013), and as such we were not allowed to have Greek Life on campus. I am currently seeking a 2nd Bachelor's and attempted to rush. I was informed near the end of the process that I could not be extended a bid because I am no longer considered an undergrad.

There are a couple of sororities that I am interested in, but I am open to exploring options not available at my local U as well. I was wondering if anyone has any more detailed information on the process for any of the sororities. The 2 I have found interesting so far have programs for AI but do not actually list the process or much information on them on their websites.
AI is not like rushing as a traditional college student. You will have a much better chance of being extended the opportunity by working with the alumnae that you already know. This is not a situation where you contact numerous organizations and pick & choose. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2014, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

If you are at the major university where I think you may be located, I can say that the Junior League in that area can be really tough to join if you are not already a member brought in there or elsewhere. I say this as a member of the Junior League. It is concerning that you are already picking and choosing which sororities are your top choices for AI as you also consider being a colonization member. There are other avenues of approach to meeting lovely women of your age/ experience at this university. Consider checking out the other groups on campus that may not be Greek. Also, talk to your friends because they sound like they know more about AI than you realize. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I tried looking into Professional Fraternities,

Unfortunately, we lack a fraternity for my track!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you interested in NPC sororities? NPHC sororities?
Most JLs I know that are associated with Association of Junior Leagues International don't even use the term "legacy." Most simply require a form to be filled out and a recommendation by a current or sustainer member, and their "process," so to speak, is quite different from sororities.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I used that term because it is the best I know to describe it. The one here consists of members whose mother and grandmothers had been members. They will not even accept women who move from other cities where they were JL members. A woman I know from NY who moved here for work, has been trying for over 2 years! And she is a NYC JL member! And a very accomplished professional in her field I might add.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Banned

This is definitely not NPHC.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I am just feeling particularly bitchy today, but I don't understand the, "I didn't get a chance to rush because I was on vacation....couldn't get off work...had a boyfriend/parent who didn't like Greeks...didn't have any money...didn't think it was important...went to a school with no greek organizations, but now I am 25, 30, 42... and I really, really want to be in a sorority. How can I AI?"

Can't you make friends, find significant volunteer opportunities and have meaningful relationships without trying to re-live your college days with different decisions and outcomes? Sorority membership is for a lifetime. True. Membership as an alum is different from membership as an active. Membership as an AI initiate is different still.

These posts where people are shopping for a GLO like they shop for drapes make me stabby and I should definitely quit reading them.