GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,038
1 members and 1,037 guests
No Members online

Old 10-04-2000, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Over the past 10-15 years, there has been an increase in the amount of "new" Black Greek Lettered Organizations. And for the most part NPHC'ers are VERY supportive of them! If you are serious about whatever it is you were founded on - we are down!!

The founders of these newer BGLO's decided that the existing orgs did not touch on an area of academia or community service that they felt was needed (ie. there is a sorority, I believe its called Kappa Phi Iota that is targeted towards those that are interested in literary works).

I think the problem arises when these new orgs stake claim to being founded because the old ones didnt cut it for them - YET they take symbols/traditions that are unique to US only (and I dont mean the letters chosen-there are 24 letters in the greek alphabet and they are bound to repeat)! When you think of red and white canes-you think KAPPA.... When you hear "Atomic Dawg"-you think Que.... Sphinx=Alphas, Poodles=SGRHO..... and the list goes on.

There is a sorority that is not a BGLO, but there are certain chapters where blacks are the majority.... they took it upon themselves to have a call Skee-OOP (combination of the AKA's skee-wee and the Deltas OOP) and my sorority's sign. WHY? A few years ago there was a big stink about this and their national headquarters informed us that they did not have an official call or handsign and they would contact those chapters that were using them. And do you know we got MUCH drama from these ladies--saying they werent imitating us, and their stuff was O.G.-----PLEASE!

If you didnt want to join one of our orgs cause it wasnt for you, then why would you make a new one and use our stuff?? It just doesnt make sense.

"The 6th Descendant of Eos"

[This message has been edited by prettypoodle6 (edited October 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by prettypoodle6 (edited October 04, 2000).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-04-2000, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Interested One,

First off, I don't think that anyone was "hatin" as you put it. But some folks did sorta take offense to this org's use of some things that are symbolic of our respective organization.

Now if you term that hatin, then that is your choice. Personally I don't really care what you or anyone thinks with regard to my opposition to them stepping with red and white kanes. Just as you have your personal opinion, I also have mine, and I will voice it as long as I have air in my lungs, and fingers to type.

Now, as I said earlier, I and many folks are very supportive of other orgs, especially other orgs that do work in the Black Kommunity (which just happens to be my kommunity.) I give these young men credit for being active, and I wish them all the success in the world.

But as I said (and please read my post before commenting), they will be compared to us and to Alphas for their use of the term "Alpha Man" and if they choose to step with red and white kanes. That is simply a fact of life, and if they are trying to forge their own way, they should start their own traditions. Hell step with the colors of their org on the kanes, not mine. If my orgs colors are Black and blue, then my kane is going to be black and blue, not red and white. Oh, which just happens to be the colors associated with the organization that started stepping with the kane, and has made it a tradition over the decades.

Just my take, you can like it or not like it.

MN
Old 10-05-2000, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Alpha Kappa Sigma Fraternity

Why is it everyone is hatin' on these young men. Did people treat the founders of Kappa ALPHA Psi this way when they used Alpha in their name, What about other fraternity/sorority with the same name(s)somewhere in their name? I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking "oh since we aren't at a four year school and can't pledge alpha, kappa, or sigma, we'll combine the 3. If anything I'm sure they would have named it Omega Alpha Kappa if that were the case because who would want to known for copying Phi Beta Sigma. Seriously, if everyone took the time to read their "history" and why they took the initiative to start a new fraternity, they'd support them as well.
Old 10-05-2000, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Greetings All-

I saw a reference to my sorority in this post, and I had to respond. I am currently a member of Gamma Sigma Sigma Service Sorority.

I'm not about to get into the same old debate about why we do what we do. What our Nationals told you was correct, prettypoodle6-our Nationals doesn't recognize our call and handsign-all of our chapters don't do it. Why they told you they were going to contact us, I don't know. We have not received any call from them about it. They simply recognize it as "local", and that's it.

Gamma Sig wasn't created to copy anything from anybody-we were founded to serve university and community. And, we do have Gamma Sigs who are ALSO NPHC'ers.

I'm not here to start drama or anything-I respect all greeks that are doing something good for the community. If you don't want to respect my organization, that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm sure that is what the brothers of Alpha Kappa Sigma may be going through right now. I wish them much success despite what they may be going through!

Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Old thread, new twist

OK, now I gotta ask the question since it's been 6 years:

Whatever became of:

Kappa Phi Iota Sorority
Alpha Kappa Sigma Fraternity
Gamma Phi Eta Fraternity
Xi Gamma Phi Sorority
Phi Omicron Psi Fraternity
Phi Alpha Psi Sorority
Phi Eta Psi Fraternity

Some of their sites are still up and active but haven't been updated/upgraded in a long long time--and all these orgs appeared to be thriving in the late 1990s.

Can somebody give me some insight on what happened to these orgs?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that PhiOPsi still has young alums in the Maryland area, but I have no idea when their last line was.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

And the BGLO's copied using Greek-lettered organizations from the whites.

Honestly prettypoodle or whatever, I don't care, but seeing as most greekchatters are all about unity, probably not a good idea to start something like this.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

The thread is six years old...
Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Well I know about Gamma Phi Eta and Xi Gamma Phi...they were both at GA Southern and have since died out.

I was reading my response from 6 years ago. Funny, 6 years later I'd still say the same thing about it.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."