GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,441
3 members and 1,438 guests
aaexeyttsa3383, g41965

Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Not only that, many of us are/have been chapter advisors or national officers and have sat in on similar hearings.

Let me take a stab at what you are hoping to hear-because the only specific question you have asked is if you will get kicked out of your house. We don't know, but it is a possibility. In my experience each situation is handled independently-there are guidelines on how to conduct the hearing, but there are no cookie cutter decisions. So even if a chapter sister of yours from the past had been charged with a similar misdemeanor, her situation would have been looked at individually and separately from any similar situations.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-25-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me take a further stab at what FSUZeta was trying to say... what is the question you want answered? Because all I've heard is OMG Mom, you totally don't get me. Because NONE of the what, 100 old broads who visit this site every day have ever gotten into any trouble for anything ever and we couldn't possibly provide insight. But hey, go out and kill someone next time. And then come to us asking how to get out of it. (Hint: don't call your mommy first. She won't get it AT ALL.)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiea123 View Post
omg hahahaha smh nevermind you guys don't understand what I'm asking and this information can't help me so forget it
We completely understand what you're asking. We just can't give you the answer you're looking for unfortunately. Each organization has different policies, so while one organization may allow you to retain your membership after a drug arrest, others might not. Also, individual chapters of each organization have their own codes of conduct that members to which members must adhere. So, we can't tell you what your individual chapter will do.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiea123 View Post
omg hahahaha smh nevermind you guys don't understand what I'm asking and this information can't help me so forget it
The fact that you're making light of putting the lives of others at risk makes me hope that you are not a member of my organization or that if you are, your adviser is alerted to your cavalier attitude and your membership is revoked.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, we DO know a lot more than you give us credit for; and your behavior falls under the umbrella of "conduct unbecoming a member" so YES - you have some really serious consequences facing you.

1) Look at the housing contract you signed. It will tell you if you can be "kicked out". You DID read it before you signed it, right?

2) I don't know what chapter you are in so I have no idea what will happen at your hearing. There are a lot of things that come into play here.

People are actually trying to help you and give you valid information. Just because it isn't what you want to hear doesn't make it any less valuable or worthwhile.

"Girl, you in Big Trouble" comes to mind.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a feeling that the OP will get exactly what she deserves....
Old 08-26-2016, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

You should talk to your lawyer about talking to anyone in a contrite fashion or about this incident at all. You have much more serious issues facing you than your sorority membership.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-26-2016, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

OP, seriously, this has much bigger consequences than just sorority membership. A conviction on any of this could keep you from getting a job in the future. Many companies do background checks, and if they see this, they might choose someone else. Many states have accessible databases where people can type in your name and see this. Do you want future boyfriends/employers/anyone to be able to see this?

You need to get a lawyer right away if you don't have one. If you are close with your parents, you need to tell them and have them help you if they can. Trust me, you do not want to have this on your record, or spend any time in jail. You could also have to pay a big fine. Wouldn't you rather spend your money on clothes or Spring Break?

Take everyone else's advice about the sorority stuff as well. These women know what they're talking about.

Good luck to you. Everyone makes mistakes when they're young and hopefully this is something you learn from.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree...read your housing contract. I'm a house corp. board president.

In my organization, if your membership is terminated, you have 48 hours to move out of sorority housing. Residents have to be sisters in good standing. It's in the contract and our international rules and regulations.

Honestly, I would retain an attorney, and I would start looking for other housing, because the contracts are reviewed by an attorney, and they tend to be pretty ironclad because all of our groups are prepared for these kinds of situations. The deck is stacked against you.