GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,280
3 members and 1,277 guests
naraht, Shellfish

Old 06-08-2006, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Question GPA Requirements

Last edited by jessXIca; 06-23-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
I think you should be fine! 2.8 isn't that bad at all. I just looked at ADPi's website, and they only require that you have at least a 2.2.

Also, this is from the UCF site:

"Students are encouraged to have a minimum GPA of a 2.3 to join a fraternity or Sorority."

Notice it doesn't say required.

I wouldn't call attention to it during rush. It's not that bad of a GPA, and everyone tends to have a bad year at one point or another!
Old 06-08-2006, 05:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
Eep, that's awful. :-/ Well, if they do cut you on the first day solely based on a lacking of .2 points in your GPA... then blah at them! Maybe your friend could put in a good word for you? It seems awful that they wouldn't make exceptions for really good girls.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:58 AM
GreekChat Member

ucfpm, I sent you a private message.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ucfpnm
Yeah, I've seen that, but a sister of another sorority on my campus (who I went to high school with) told me that each chapter has its own requirements- nationals has theirs and then each individual chapter can make it higher if they desire to- and she "thought" that ABC sorority was a 3.0. I told her that I was a 2.8 and she said I would be cut on the first day by her sorority, just going by that, and there was nothing I could do about it. It totally broke my heart because they are AWESOME on my campus and I'd already hung out with them and fell in love with the chapter. (I was still going to keep an open mind, of course of course, but I couldn't help having a tiny preference for them.)

Also, this is from the book Pledged, by Alexandra Robbins, page 96:
Every sorority at UCF has their own requirements. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be "public" information so I don't want to say anything. I will say that most UCF sororities require at least a 2.5 college GPA and a 3.0 high school GPA. If you're rushing as a sophomore, your high school GPA will not matter and neither will your SAT scores. This could have changed in the last 3 years since I was a student there.

A lower GPA doesn't mean an automatic cut but you will be a grade risk depending on the chapter requirements. Don't bring up your GPA at the parties. In all honesty, it will look like you're just trying to make excuses. Your grades are what they are and explaining your situation won't change the sorority's policy.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Don't believe anything you've read in Pledged.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Yes, and never, ever, cite a passage from Pledged like it's an accepted authority on sororities. It's only acceptable to cite if you're making fun of it
Old 06-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Amen sister!

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Many schools (and chapters) will have different GPA requirements depending on if the PNM is a freshman (just out of high school) or sophomore/junior/senior (already has completed a semester or more of college).

The girls in the chapters will know what your GPA is when you go through recruitment anyway, so you don't need to bring it up yourself.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

ADPi as an international sorority has a minimum requirement that its chapter members maintain a 2.2. However, this is just a min. requirement. Most ADPi chapters, UCF included, set a much GPA standard for PNMs to be considered for membership and for members to maintain their membership.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
OK - It is no secret that sororities have a minimum gpa that they go for or release for - just because you have a 2.8 doesnt mean you will be released - just because you have a 4.0 doesn't mean you will be offered a bid.

Sophomores are looked at a little differently - for example you might be released from some sororities BECAUSE you are a sophomore (this having nothing to do with grades) however you might be offered an invitation back to the next party because you are a Sophomore with a 2.8 gpa (which isn't bad)

I went to a panhellenic meeting where we discussed release grade minimum for all sororities so that panhellenic would not accept recruitment fees just to have a girl released the first day from everyone due to their gpa. If I remember correctly the minimum that everyone went with was 2.25. (or something like that) Now some sororities minimum acceptance is 2.6 others go down to a 2.2 (at UNA 1 sorority releases a 2.8 - rumor has it)

I can only assume your "legacy" chapter will look at your total "picture" and not release you for grades alone - actually I doubt they are even "allowed" to release you after the first day anyway. (which gives you a chance to be a great recruit)

Listen - good luck - don't assume that you are going to be released by all of the "good" sororities because of 1 characteristic. And, have a pleasant outlook on every sorority that you visit.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

There are some UCF sororities that have a 3.0 minimum requirement to get through the first cuts. This is because there are a large number of women that must be released and this is how they cull through the large pool of PNMs.

In some very rare exceptions, a "grade risk" will pass through these cuts and into the next round of recruitment. This is the exception and not the norm. You may have an advantage at the chapter you mentioned because you have friends there who, if your name comes up, can market you to their sisters. I'm sure your friends would love for you to become their sorority sister. But remember it isn't their decision alone, and neither you nor they should harbor hurt feelings if you cut that chapter from your list or if they cut you from theirs.

Grades and campus involvement are important to the UCF sororities. Sophomores can have a very competitive recruitment at UCF. You will be cut from some of the UCF sororities for your grades. You will also be cut from some because they want freshmen only. And you'll be cut by others for purely arbitary reasons. This is the way recruitment works at our school.

This being said, do go in with an open mind. You may have a preconceived idea of what you want coming in, and have a completely different outlook coming out--- and a year from now, you wouldn't have it any other way. UCF makes a good effort to match the women at recruitment with a sorority. Our chapters have many members, and many diverse members. Keeping in mind there are practically 100+ women in each chapter, and that you have less than an hour's worth of time in each house by the end of the week to decide which sorority you'd most like to join, it isn't a stretch to think that you could find your niche in any such large organization. Although each sorority stresses its own symbols and rituals, at the end of the day, we're all collegiate organizations extending offers of friendship, scholarship and service to the community. Keep an open mind and you'll find what you're looking for.

One of the things that sets UCF apart from many schools is the nature of Greek Life on campus. Women in the sororities mix and mingle. There is friendly competition, but Panhellenic Sisterhood is greatly encouraged. So even though you may not have the opportunity to be an "XYZ," you are welcome at the house/all-Panhellenic sisterhood events as a Panhellenic Sister and XYZ Friend.

Good luck at UCF recruitment! ZTAngel and I are "old," but we're still somewhat familiar with what's happening at our campus. BellaBerlee may be able to offer some current insights.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

As already stated most Inter/Nationals set minimum membership GPAs, but individual Chapters have the option to increase these. While these Chapter minimums aren't a ritual secret or anything, they aren't really advertised. Unless a PNM knows and active or an alum it might be difficult to find out what their requirements are.

So how can a PNM get a general idea of what each Chapter's minimum GPA is?

*Note: The larger the campus, the more sororities on campus, and the larger the Greek system as a whole, the more accurate a guage the following usually is.*

Take a look at the grade rankings for all sororities on campus. Most Universities will have this information available either on their website or by contacting the Office of Greek Life (or whatever the equivalent name is). It might be included in the Recruitment book/info. It's even more helpful if you can get lists for several of the past quarters/semesters/years. Also, you'll want to know what the Panhellenic average is. A PNM also needs to factor in the type of campus they are on. What's the all student GPA? The all women GPA? How does the Panhellenic average compare to these?

Then look at which sororities fall where on the lists. Which sororities are consistantly ranked at the top of the Panhellenic Grade Rankings? This usually shows a strong and consistant committment to their academic program. They didn't get there by accident. Odds are they recruit PNMs who have shown academic ability and committment already in high school. They probably have high expectations for academic performance from their members.

Look at which sororities have been consistantly climbing in the rankings. These Chapters have probably committed themselves more to academics in the last several quarters/semesters/years and are now seeing it pay off. Often they may be bumping up their minimum a little each year. (They don't want to kill themselves in Recruitment by making a drastic leap in one year.)

Are any sororities dropping on the lists? Perhaps their scholarship program and committment isn't as strong as it used to be. Then of course is anybody consistantly at the bottom of the ranks? Finally, what's the spread between the top and the bottom? Is it a wide gap or small?

With those things factored in, here are some ballpark estimates.

- Top Quarter - Probably looking for GPA's at least at Panhellenic average and more likely above.
- 2nd Quarter - Probably around or at Panhellenic average. They may consider "grade exceptions" for PNMs if there is a good reason.
- 3rd Quarter - Probably around or somewhat below Panhellenic average. "Grade exceptions" are possibly more common.
- Bottom Quarter - Probably lower still, depending on the spread between the top and bottom may want to check their Inter/Nationals for an idea.

Hopefully that helps some folks.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini
- Top Quarter - Probably looking for GPA's at least at Panhellenic average and more likely above.
- 2nd Quarter - Probably around or at Panhellenic average. They may consider "grade exceptions" for PNMs if there is a good reason.
- 3rd Quarter - Probably around or somewhat below Panhellenic average. "Grade exceptions" are possibly more common.
- Bottom Quarter - Probably lower still, depending on the spread between the top and bottom may want to check their Inter/Nationals for an idea.

Hopefully that helps some folks.
While I think that your post was excellent, I don't necessarily agree with these assertions. 3rd Quarter and Bottom Quarter houses may very likely be under pressure to get their grades up. Hence, they may be aiming for girls with better GPAs to help fill this need. A PNM with a low GPA may only drag them down further.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani
While I think that your post was excellent, I don't necessarily agree with these assertions. 3rd Quarter and Bottom Quarter houses may very likely be under pressure to get their grades up. Hence, they may be aiming for girls with better GPAs to help fill this need. A PNM with a low GPA may only drag them down further.
I don't think anyone should mention GPA exceptions because those are NOT the norm, and I wouldn't want to give ucfpmn the impression that grade exceptions occur all the time. What if she mistakenly went into recruitment thinking " Oh even though my GPA is low I've still got a good chance to get a bid because sororities with fewer members will make grade exceptions for me"?

UCF is a competitive recruitment and I just don't see houses making GPA exceptions alot. The top GPA chapters won't want to take someone that will bring down their GPA, and the middle and lower GPA chapters probably want their GPA to improve, so they wouldn't be looking to make exceptions either.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-13-2006 at 12:26 PM.