GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,581
2 members and 1,579 guests
gatordeltapgh, Overthinker

Old 07-02-2020, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Are Jewish sororities going to be pressured/forced by NPC to change their rituals?

We're already seeing that NPC groups with Christian symbolism, Bible references, etc. have started rewriting their rituals. My own group has dropped one of the most meaningful parts of the ritual. Just - poof - gone. It leaves a glaring hole in the ceremony.

Are the Jewish groups going to be expected to do the same thing? Pressured by NPC member groups to purge their rituals of religious overtones and symbolism?

I certainly hope they are not. I suspect they won't be.

So why the double standard?

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

I too would like to know this.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

How is NPC pressuring/forcing each group to rewrite their ritual? Wouldn't each group choose on their own to do so/not do so? When did changing an NPC Ritual become THE THING to do? And how is it a double standard if NPC isn't mandating/pressuring?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

A double standard would be if the Christian sororities are pressured to change their rituals but the Jewish ones aren't.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
A double standard would be if the Christian sororities are pressured to change their rituals but the Jewish ones aren't.
Hi, could you fill me in on which ones are specifically the "Christian" sororities, other than Theta Phi Alpha, which was historically founded as a Greek organization for Catholic women, but has been open to members of all faiths for decades? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2020, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Many people feel them to be everyone except Phi Sigma Sigma, Delta Phi Epsilon, Alpha Epsilon Phi, and Sigma Delta Tau.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:38 PM

Honestly, I think AEPhi and SDT would leave NPC before doing that - and suffer not at all.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, "many people." Yes, I see. I see quite clearly.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Obviously, you don't.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
We're already seeing that NPC groups with Christian symbolism, Bible references, etc. have started rewriting their rituals. My own group has dropped one of the most meaningful parts of the ritual. Just - poof - gone. It leaves a glaring hole in the ceremony.
I am curious, and completely understand if you cannot answer, but were the changes made to accommodate an virtual/zoom type ceremony? I can imagine some changes might be made, as an online ritual probably really can't be truly secure. I hope that this might be the case for Tri Delta and in-person rituals retain your beloved ceremonies.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Are we coming to GreekChat to discuss rituals now? Wow.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Are we coming to GreekChat to discuss rituals now? Wow.
I don't believe we are, indeed, discussing ritual. We are discussing changes to ritual without allowing membership to vote on such changes, and whether or not that's the right thing to do.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

There were accommodations made for the virtual situation and I completely understand that. No, there was clearly a significant part of the ritual that had been completely deleted and there was no physical reason for it to be done. Plenty of confidential content was still shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
I am curious, and completely understand if you cannot answer, but were the changes made to accommodate an virtual/zoom type ceremony? I can imagine some changes might be made, as an online ritual probably really can't be truly secure. I hope that this might be the case for Tri Delta and in-person rituals retain your beloved ceremonies.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate to be naive, and I am not as involved as others but --

Ritual is sacred. It is meant to be a privelege only to those members. How does NPC even know what religious elements exist in initiation, new member ceremonies, meeting ritual, etc? How can they require something they theoretically are not privvy to?
Old 07-02-2020, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletsAreBlue View Post
I hate to be naive, and I am not as involved as others but --

Ritual is sacred. It is meant to be a privelege only to those members. How does NPC even know what religious elements exist in initiation, new member ceremonies, meeting ritual, etc? How can they require something they theoretically are not privvy to?
This discussion goes back to the now closed thread about Delta Gamma's changes. Specifically I'm referring to their stated stance on Facebook about the problems of the whiteness of their founding and how that needs to be changed: "Because of that, the rituals, practices and traditions of sororities were built upon white ideals and perspectives."

Those "white ideals and perspectives" are the Christian and biblical content in the rituals of probably most/all of the NPC groups that were not explicitly formed as Jewish or secular groups.

This is the thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=247110