GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 918
2 members and 916 guests
LarryByday

Old 01-12-2016, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDZPledge View Post
I do believe that, if you look closely at the badges by Theta Upsilon, there is definitely a Alpha Sigma Delta badge, along with a Lambda Omega badge. I don't see a Pi Delta Theta badge by Delta Sigma Epsilon. So Headquarters definitely recognizes the other three mergers, but the paragraph I posted above came directly from the information below the badge display.

I guess maybe the Museum just wanted to focus on the mergers that directly merged with Delta Zeta?

ETA: After looking into it some more, I think that the Museum just focused on the four main mergers. There are actually more than seven sororities that were merged to become today's Delta Zeta. In 1915, Delta Sigma merged with Delta Sigma Epsilon. In 1933, Pi Sigma Gamma merged with Beta Sigma Omicron. In 1964, the majority of Beta Sigma Omicron's chapters merged with Delta Zeta (Others merged with Zeta Tau Alpha.) In 1924, Alpha Zeta Chi merged with Alpha Sigma Delta. Kappa Chi merged with Alpha Sigma Delta in 1926. The history goes on, but just the history of all the mergers gets confusing! I think that there is just a focus on the four main mergers.
WOW! I'd be fascinated to see if any other GLO comes close to that number of merger and merged mergers and merged merged mergers.

Also, has anyone put together for each Delta Zeta chapter, their history chain (i.e. Chi Chi chapter founded as local Mu Mu Mu, joined Alpha Zeta Chi which became part of Alpha Sigma Delta which became part of Theta Upsilon which became part of Delta Zeta)?
Old 01-12-2016, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm guessing the University with the most groups whose Nationals merged (sort of a reverse direction family tree) to groups that merged into Delta Zeta is Cal Berkley. This is partly because before the 1960s anti Greek letter group years, Berkley probably had as many groups as Illinois and partly because so many groups were founded at Berkley and a great number of these merged with Theta Upsilon and Beta Phi Alpha. Someone actually made this "family tree" and I will try to find the name so interested people can google it. BTW - often a chapter would not have a merger in its history. If a campus had a DZ and a DSE chapter, the DSE chapter would usually be offered an affiliation with another Panhellenic group. Usually the chapters absorbed by merging sororities were on campuses w/o a chapter of the gaining sorority. All alumnae of the absorbed sorority were offered membership in the gaining group.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are a merger history buff, you will enjoy "A Brief History of the UC Berkley Greek System" by Michael A. Green, class of 1962. Hopefully you can still find it on line. It is 47 pages. Many groups were founded at Berkley - before and after - national groups came west. At first, the women's groups had names and themes mostly associated with native Indian lore. And many of these groups led to the founding of Greek letter groups (Beta Phi Alpha, Theta Upsilon) or petitioned existing national Greek letter sororities for affiliation. Berkley was the first western state campus to have a nationally affiliated fraternity...and later, sorority.

Mr. Green included two Delta Zeta "family trees" in his paper. One was of all Berkley groups that merged together or directly into DZ. This tree begins with Enewah, founded in 1901, and ends with DZ closing at Berkley in 1969. Twelve Greek letter organizations and twelve women's house names are on this tree.

The second tree in Mr. Green’s research is the DZ national merger tree and it documents the Greek letter groups founded at Berkley (6), Miami of Ohio (3), University of Nebraska (1) and New York University (2) that merged into the "final four" who merged with Delta Zeta.

Last edited by BetaIotaDZ; 01-12-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Double DZ Pledge - Could you repost your picture of the badges on the DZ thread - we could share more of this history there.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

" In 1964, the majority of Beta Sigma Omicron's chapters merged with Delta Zeta (Others merged with Zeta Tau Alpha.) " Is there a source for this?

I believe Beta Sigma Omicron did merge with Zeta Tau Alpha. There are seven chapters listed on their HQ history page.

But it is fun to see that their first "sorority flower" was the Kilarney Rose and their publication was the "Urn and the Lamp".
Old 01-12-2016, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaIotaDZ View Post
" In 1964, the majority of Beta Sigma Omicron's chapters merged with Delta Zeta (Others merged with Zeta Tau Alpha.) " Is there a source for this?

I believe Beta Sigma Omicron did merge with Zeta Tau Alpha. There are seven chapters listed on their HQ history page.

But it is fun to see that their first "sorority flower" was the Kilarney Rose and their publication was the "Urn and the Lamp".
When is the normal GC edit button coming back??

Truly enjoying the DZ information, but would be more pleased if your OP were still able to edit and shrink her original giant picture--too late for her, edit buttons remove after 24 hours as noted here on GC by others. Such a pain to grab bottom of screen with mouse arrow and swing it in long stretches back-and-forth to read the fascinating history of your sorority.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
WOW! I'd be fascinated to see if any other GLO comes close to that number of merger and merged mergers and merged merged mergers.
My head is spinning from reading about all these Delta Zeta merges!

To the best of my knowledge, AEPhi has absorbed only local sororities with a Jewish history ... including Sigma Iota Phi, the local I joined, whose founders' intention was to become part of AEPhi.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My badge ring came in!!!

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I love it!
Old 05-25-2016, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Beautiful!!! I'm curious, is there a standard way to wear a ring badge, in terms of which way the letters/crescent face?
Old 05-25-2016, 10:39 PM

Gorgeous!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

*Pretty*!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I just found this. What do you think it is? A recognition pin?
Old 06-15-2016, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I doubt that it has anything to do with our sorority, since the design doesn't have any elements of KD symbolism. Maybe it's from the California fraternity called Kappa Delta.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Beautiful!!! I'm curious, is there a standard way to wear a ring badge, in terms of which way the letters/crescent face?
I'd like to know, too. I wore my ADPi pin-ring on NPC Badge Day (it was also my brother's funeral) and saw pictures of most sisters wearing theirs facing out. Which way is proper?