GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,247
2 members and 1,245 guests
LaneSig

Old 05-30-2006, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss rush is deferred in October, so they know their schedule by then.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-30-2006, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by texgal
Plus, if not all classes have attendence policies, then it's really up to the individual to decide what to do.
If their PHC policy is in writing, I wouldn't even chance missing a class with "no attendace policy", someone will still find out, and you'd hate that to be the reason that you got cut. Especially since most night classes only meet once a week. I think I only had one night class with no attendace policy, but the teacher still took role. Plus, if you have an anti-greek teacher, it could affect you later.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
If their PHC policy is in writing, I wouldn't even chance missing a class with "no attendace policy", someone will still find out, and you'd hate that to be the reason that you got cut. Especially since most night classes only meet once a week. I think I only had one night class with no attendace policy, but the teacher still took role. Plus, if you have an anti-greek teacher, it could affect you later.
I wouldn't miss a class now if I was going through recruitment. The houses know ahead of time and it does not affect your chances...sort of like the athletes who usually have games during recuritment or the cheerleaders who have to miss because of away football games. Most professors are pretty cool at Ole Miss, but there are a few that do not put up with any excuses, especially that you have to attend a recruitment party.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello, Ole Miss Glitter. Interesting rules, and I'm happy to see they're trying to reinforce the idea that classes/labs come first.

One of the rules has me puzzled. I think it's number III. 9. f:

"At no time during any round of parties may a Potential New Member be asked to remove or turn around their nametag."

What was happening with the nametag situation -- or what do they think might happen -- that prompted this rule? Just curious. If it's a sensitive matter that need not be discussed, that's okay.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker

One of the rules has me puzzled. I think it's number III. 9. f:

"At no time during any round of parties may a Potential New Member be asked to remove or turn around their nametag."

What was happening with the nametag situation -- or what do they think might happen -- that prompted this rule? Just curious. If it's a sensitive matter that need not be discussed, that's okay.

I've never heard of any situation happening since I've been here and that's almost 10 years this August. I could see though that back in the day when hot boxing and dirty rushing were big that a PNM would be asked to take her nametag off so the Gamma Chi's wouldn't know she was a PNM during the party so more girls could talk to her and perhaps even show her around the house.

However, it would be obvious who is a PNM and who is an active member because of the outfits and clothes worn by the active members during recruitment now.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by aopirose
The only thing is that Ole Miss's recruitment registration is all online, no paper apps.
So? The form can be modified to add class schedule information.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I'm just asking, because I really have no clue, but would their PHC have TIME to go through 900 class schedules, check for conflict, compile a list and send to all the sororities??
If the schedules were listed in a database and compared by time slot, the information would be quickly and automatically retrieved. Hell, you could do the whole thing in an Excel spreadsheet.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinTrax
So? The form can be modified to add class schedule information.
The online form does not allow for this but there are about 50 Gamma Chi's so when they have floor meetings the girls have to turn any conflicts with parties to their Gamma Chi and then the Gamma Chi's turn it into Panhellenic who distributes it to the 9 sororities. It might seem like a lot but with so many Gamma Chi's who are trained started in late Spring before recruitment and they are trained all summer...our Gamma Chi's are wonderful as far as Panhellenic Recruitment goes at Ole Miss
Old 05-30-2006, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinTrax
If the schedules were listed in a database and compared by time slot, the information would be quickly and automatically retrieved. Hell, you could do the whole thing in an Excel spreadsheet.
Yes, but that's assuming that their class schedules could easily be converted into a database. Our schedules at Western Il were extremely difficult to read as it was, let alone convert to a database. I guess the application could contain a database info card where the PNM entered their schedule.

And I've learned from my office, that if you have an excel sheet someone will inevitably come along and type over the formula you spent 8 hours perfecting.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Wouldn't you be able to get a listing of classes from the registrar to find the "free time?" They must have some kind of program available to avoid class conflicts and final exam conflicts. Perhaps your Greek Life Advisor can request that as paid staff as compared to actives who are undergraduates.

Last edited by alum; 05-30-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphib_95
The numbers for Bama are a little misleading because alot of sororities did not have all of their girls show up after recieving their bids. One sorority we counted had 36 new members another 34 and one sorority I know had 20 girls not show up. This never happens at Bama! Gamma Phi had 31 and that is before snap bids. All the above numbers will change as the week progresses.

I know this thread is old...but i was just wondering if anybody ever found out what happened to all those "no shows" at Bama??
Old 07-21-2006, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernyankee
I know this thread is old...but i was just wondering if anybody ever found out what happened to all those "no shows" at Bama??
I am curious too. That is a HUGE amount...WAY more than usual. I know
"computer problems" have been blamed in the past for mismatched bids, no pref invites etc (yea, sure!). Any Bama folks here who can answer? ADPi Bama?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA Question

Okay so I was looking at some UGA sorority websites and I noticed this: Most of the houses seem to require their new members to wear all whites on Bid Day...is this so they can receive their new member pin that night? Just wondering...at Ole Miss I know one house has their new member pinning that night but I know most of the sororities do it within the first week of the New Member Period. Just wondering....
Old 07-21-2006, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter
Okay so I was looking at some UGA sorority websites and I noticed this: Most of the houses seem to require their new members to wear all whites on Bid Day...is this so they can receive their new member pin that night? Just wondering...at Ole Miss I know one house has their new member pinning that night but I know most of the sororities do it within the first week of the New Member Period. Just wondering....
UGA's rush guide for PNMs tells them to wear white for bid day, but the sororities who require it also write it on the bid card (usually) so the girls will be prepared. My house had our first ceremony on bid night, but I don't know about the others.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks