GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,401
2 members and 2,399 guests
LaneSig

Old 06-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

jasboleen, i agree with 33girl, the clothes on the fsu website look way too casual: for the ice water days, wear a cute sundress, skirt and top or capris and top.think cute, but conservative(no bellybuttons showing,please!) i think that panhellenic is TRYING to get pnm's to dress this way, but everyone continues to dress up to impress.. now that i have listened to everyone else i would suggest that on philanthropy day you wear a skirt that is easy to get on the floor in(gracefully) or capris, but many of the sororities will be in shorts for that day. on skit day wear a dress or cute coordinated skirt and top and for prefs. a dressy dress-not long and not clubby, but something that you would wear to an evening wedding or some other dress-up event.i've seen some panhel websites suggest that for prefs. you wear a dress like you wore for the prom. don't do it! if possible, avoid black on pref nite, most chapters will be in black dresses-you want to standout, not blend in. and have all our pnm's purchased their basic, plain white(no colored trim) dress and shoes for their pledging ceremony?happy shopping to all and best of luck.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-18-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-17-2004, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
i've seen some panhel websites suggest that for prefs. you wear a dress like you wore for the prom. don't do it!
I'm glad you said that...I know prom dresses have changed a lot but that seemed like too much, unless your prom was more like a semiformal.

Although someone on here said that their school (was it U of South Carolina?) does have sorority women and PNMs in long prom-ey attire.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
If you are plus sized, like me, try Torrid. Torrid have some of the best dresses. I have already found some dresses. I hope that they are still avalible by August, because I'll be getting my money then. They offer the dresses and other stuff for rush from sizes 12-26. If you want to buy some dresses, start saving, because the dresses cost at least $50. I feel so much better, with the pictures that y'all have shown me for what to wear on rush. I also feel better with Torrid because they offer nice dress for me that are "age appropriate". Most of the other stores have dresses, but they make me old.

Here's the website:
www.torrid.com

I'm not a member of any sorority just yet, but I want to throw in some suggestions. On Philantrophy day, you can wear a skort. It would be much better than a skirt, because the skort have shorts underneath. So if you all want to wear a skirt for that day, try a skort because you might sit on the floor.

Also, for days that you'll be wearing dresses and skirts, wear shoes that have flat heels or kitten heels. They are so much better than shoes with 3 inches of heels. Face it, you'll be walking a lot and you don't want for your feet to be in bad shape.

I have a question though, I'm thinking about getting a denim halter dress for the first day, Video Day. The straps are wide. Is the dress appropriate enough? They said to wear a sundress.

Last edited by Rollergirl2001; 06-21-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I would discourage any pnm from wearing a halter anything during recruitment. Unless the upper body is in awesome condition and the wearer has great posture, it is just not flattering and can even come off as too "clubby" (my chapter's way of saying slutty). Maybe wear a cute little checked shirt or white sleeveless button up over it to make it less revealing and not so casual?
Old 06-18-2004, 09:17 AM
That1LoudChick

What about a halter that has a a high neckline? I found this awesome dress at the Forever 21 store online that I want to wear it to 3rd round, but it's a halter dress. Here's the link to it. Would it be good? Or should I wear a sweater over it?
Old 06-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Glitterkitty
I would discourage any pnm from wearing a halter anything during recruitment. Unless the upper body is in awesome condition and the wearer has great posture, it is just not flattering and can even come off as too "clubby" (my chapter's way of saying slutty). Maybe wear a cute little checked shirt or white sleeveless button up over it to make it less revealing and not so casual?
Cosign. Unless you're on the cover of Cosmo that month, forget about the halter.

And granted that I'm very old school, but I have yet to see a woman over 14 years old look her best in a skort. Yes, you need to wear something a bit more user-friendly for Philanthropy Night, but unless you look sensational in that skort, please think twice.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glitterkitty
I agree completely. I also don't like strapless outfits for most of rush. I saw too many girls during 1st/2nd rounds wearing strapless knit tops that looked really "clubby". Not to mention that the PNMs wearing them had to keep adjusting them and pulling them up, which also made them look more self-conscious. I have seen some nice-looking strapless dresses that would be appropriate for pref, though, if you have the right body for them.

That1LoudChick -- I think that that dress is really cute and quite appropriate. Not at all the kind of "clubby" halter I was thinking of.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
Co-sign on the halter stuff again. It's not a flattering look to all but a limited body shape, and even then... it's really not something that projects a positive image (I know several people who have connected them to the oft-used "trailer trash" concept).

Classic, clean styles with maybe just a bit of funkiness to them to show off a younger age is never a bad thing. You can have a lot of class and still dress casually.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I think a Lilly or J.Crew type halter would be fine, personally - but really, don't worry about being superfashionable. I'd rather talk to a girl in a cute shell and skirt who feels comfortable than a fidgety girl in the latest from bebe.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

have you even been to the mall

and seen women wearing strapless tops or dresses and watched them? most women look sooooo uncomfortable in them, constantly adjusting the top/dress and pulling at it. i pointed a couple of women out to my teenaged daughter and used it as a teaching tool-i said to her,"if you ever feel compelled to buy an outfit like that, spend a lot of time walking around in the store wearing it....if you are constantly tugging at it, then it might be best to pass on buying it. i would offer this advice to all our pnm's.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I've seen what y'all mean. Thanks. Let me do a little TLC'S What Not to Wear:

What Not to Wear:

http://www.gap.com/asp/Product.asp?w...05&wpid=237909

http://www.torrid.com/store/product....23&ITEM=594662

The one from Gap is for clubbing and shows too much clevage. The dress from Torrid is not appropriate for Video/ Ice Water Tea day for several things. First off, it is denim. Save it for Philantrophy and Bid Day (gear for Bid Day is different for every schools). Second it's a halter dress. So, that's a no-no.

Last edited by Rollergirl2001; 06-18-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

That denim dress also doesn't look particularly flattering.

Heavy material (which denim is) makes a person look bulkier. All over denim isn't all that flattering.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Another thing, when people tell you to wear nice shorts, they mean nice shorts. NO BOOTY SHORTS. You don't want to wear micro shorts when you take those pictures for Bid Day, if you are allowed to wear shorts for that day. Get some shorts with at least a 3" inseam. If you don't want to wear granny shorts, then 5" inseam will do the trick.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

A good rule of thumb for shorts for people of any size:

If they're significantly wider than they are long, they are NOT appropriate.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Bama has a page like this as well.

http://bama.ua.edu/~npc/what%20to%20expect2.htm

Good advice!
I think that is the old page. Here is a newer one
http://bama.ua.edu/~npc/what%20to%20wear.htm