GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,515
1 members and 2,514 guests
No Members online

Old 07-19-2010, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Question FB groups for future/potential members?

What about these groups that I see for, like, "Anytown University, GHI Sorority Interest Group" or something of the like? It's kinda like a webpage for girls "shopping" for sororities before rush. If someone likes this group, can the members use this to peep the PNM's profile? Or is it merely a way for sororities to "put the word out" more?

I'm up North and the schools I'm referring to are generally trying to get as many girls as possible to rush...cause Greek life isn't the "big thing" on campus and sometimes the number of girls who sign up for recruitment is low. I'm thinking it might just be a promotional idea?

Thoughts? Ideas?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
What about these groups that I see for, like, "Anytown University, GHI Sorority Interest Group" or something of the like? It's kinda like a webpage for girls "shopping" for sororities before rush. If someone likes this group, can the members use this to peep the PNM's profile? Or is it merely a way for sororities to "put the word out" more?

I'm up North and the schools I'm referring to are generally trying to get as many girls as possible to rush...cause Greek life isn't the "big thing" on campus and sometimes the number of girls who sign up for recruitment is low. I'm thinking it might just be a promotional idea?

Thoughts? Ideas?
Could be promotional, but as with anything else I would proceed with caution as a PNM with doing that.

There was a PNm last year that did that with a sorority on campus on her facebook. She ended up not pledging anywhere. Whether she quit on her own merit or was eventually dropped by all 8 groups, I dont know.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If the group isn't on campus, sometimes it's a legit interest group trying to bring a new chapter on. More often, I think, it's 18 year olds who don't know how the system works and their mom/sister/cousin's an ABC and so they and their friends think it's cool. NPC chapters would not be allowed to run something like this.

If it's not for one particular org. just "Recruitment interest" or something then yeah it could be promotional.

However no, you shouldn't be able to 'creep' profiles by being a group member.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM

It's probably promotional (esp. if you're at a smaller school).

I'd steer clear just because a sorority member from say, ABC could see that you're a member of the XYZ FB group and assume "she only wants to be an XYZ, let's just cut her now" come recruitment time.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

We had one for my university that was just a group for those interested in panhellenic recruitment. The info for signing up for rush was up there, as well as links and general info about each sorority.
I agree with that advice about joining a group for a specific sorority -- that could be easily misconstrued as "oh, she's only interested in one group".
What the other people can see on your facebook profile depends on your privacy settings. I highly suggest going through your privacy settings now and setting everything to "friends only". Also, if you're tagged in any "questionable" photos, you should remove the tag.
Hope that helps!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurGirl View Post
We had one for my university that was just a group for those interested in panhellenic recruitment. The info for signing up for rush was up there, as well as links and general info about each sorority.
I agree with that advice about joining a group for a specific sorority -- that could be easily misconstrued as "oh, she's only interested in one group".
What the other people can see on your facebook profile depends on your privacy settings. I highly suggest going through your privacy settings now and setting everything to "friends only". Also, if you're tagged in any "questionable" photos, you should remove the tag.
Hope that helps!
My alma mater did this as well. A PHA exec set up a "UW 2009 Sorority Recruitment" Group. It was basically a safe place for PNMs to ask questions, meet other girls going through, and learn a little more about recs, attire, the rounds, etc.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

When a group of girls heard that panhellenic here was expanding they started a group that was "new sorority wanted" and it was pushing for a sorority. When the sorority got chosen, they were acting AS the group that was coming on. Finally the two women that WILL be starting the sorority from their national office started a group. I hope members go there instead of this "new sorority wanted" group. Its just annoying me.

The VPM of panhellenic usually does a group for PNMs. like you said a safe place to ask questions.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 PM

Drolefille - the kind of thing you can talk about can verge from legit to straight up psycho (as in they've been told multiple times the school isn't expanding and told to cease and desist by the national). I don't think that's what the OP means though.

I know that some people have been pushing these as great promo tools, but I don't dig the idea for multiple reasons.

1. Sorority members (who you've never met and who it may turn out you have no desire to spend time with) can nose around your profile.

2. As others have said, ABC may see that you joined the XYZ group and say "well ok then, forget that."

3. Some PNMs may misinterpret it and think that joining the group guarantees them a bid.

3a. Some groups make the giant mistake of listing times/locales for events and having whackadoos show up. Yes, whackadoos show up at formal rush too, but it's a little easier to contain them there if they get really nuts.

4. It usually isn't the most popular sorority on campus setting up a group like this. To be blunt, it looks desperate.

If you're having trouble getting girls interested in Greek life, think Panhellenically instead and get your school's panhel to set up a GO GREEK interest group, not a "Go XYZ" group. If your sorority is the only one with the problem, get out there and MEET PEOPLE and ask them in PERSON to come meet your sisters.

Last edited by 33girl; 07-19-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

True 33girl, but that's the only time I've seen anything with XYZ interest group in it.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice...it's for my niece, who will be rushing this year. We are not a Greek family so we don't really have a clue, TBH...But she's always done so well in extracirriculars, and she's going to be far from home, so the idea of being in a sorority seems like a good fit for her.

So, I'm thinking...the ones which are informational seem ok, but avoid the ones that cater to "so and so" group. I didn't really see the point, since almost all chapters nowadays have great websites with photos, house tours, info on philanthrophy, and history.

I wanted to post a link to the one I found on PSU (Penn State) but now I can't seem to find it. Anyway it had specific outfits for each round and all sorts of advice...really interesting.

PS..."Emma" is not going to PSU. But the lil sis might be in a few years
Old 07-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Drolefille - the kind of thing you can talk about can verge from legit to straight up psycho (as in they've been told multiple times the school isn't expanding and told to cease and desist by the national). I don't think that's what the OP means though.

I know that some people have been pushing these as great promo tools, but I don't dig the idea for multiple reasons.

1. Sorority members (who you've never met and who it may turn out you have no desire to spend time with) can nose around your profile.

2. As others have said, ABC may see that you joined the XYZ group and say "well ok then, forget that."

3. Some PNMs may misinterpret it and think that joining the group guarantees them a bid.

3a. Some groups make the giant mistake of listing times/locales for events and having whackadoos show up. Yes, whackadoos show up at formal rush too, but it's a little easier to contain them there if they get really nuts.

4. It usually isn't the most popular sorority on campus setting up a group like this. To be blunt, it looks desperate.

If you're having trouble getting girls interested in Greek life, think Panhellenically instead and get your school's panhel to set up a GO GREEK interest group, not a "Go XYZ" group. If your sorority is the only one with the problem, get out there and MEET PEOPLE and ask them in PERSON to come meet your sisters.
Excellent advice here!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the facebook groups are great promotional tools for recruitment. My school does one every year. The group is made by panhellenic as away to get the information out and a place for pnms to ask questions about greek life.

I hear a lot of people talk about individual chapters making groups and I don't think that's the case during Formal recruitment. I am sure at most school that have a structured recruitment, chapters are only allowed to promote a positive panhellenic message. Now during COB/COR period individual groups are fine because girls are only going to parties of the chapters they want or were invited to.

Now when it comes to the chapters facebook stalking the pnms its kind of inevitable. Even if there wasn't a recruitment group girls will still stalk the new freshman or anyone the hear are thinking of going through recruitment. And if they aren't already stalking them they will as soon as they get the list of girls going through. I would advise all pnms to go ahead an clean up your profiles. Treat it like a resume. Make sure all your picture are presentable and show your personality. List all of your activities and interest that you would want the chapters to know. Just assume chapter member are looking at you profile. If you are uncomfortable with that then increase your privacy settings.