GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,559
0 members and 1,559 guests
No Members online

Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Sudan to split into 2 nations

Ok...so no one really talked about Egypt, but it looks like Sudan is splitting into two nations effective in July

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/l...stream2&hpt=T1

Muslims to the North and Christians to the south. it''s going to be interesting to see how in less than 6 months how they will go about dividing oil reserves, new currencies, and immigration policies.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Joy!

/end sarcasm
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Ok...so no one really talked about Egypt, but it looks like Sudan is splitting into two nations effective in July

Muslims to the North and Christians to the south. it''s going to be interesting to see how in less than 6 months how they will go about dividing oil reserves, new currencies, and immigration policies.
This has been in the works for a while. The only thing new is that it's official.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

This really hurts my heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 02-07-2011, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
This really hurts my heart.
Why?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post

Since that link isn't working anymore, here is one from cnn about the split
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa...ex.html?hpt=T2
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

From the article:
Quote:
Those in the north had more varied opinions.
"I think it is better," said Abd al-Aziz Ahmad, 30, a grocery store owner. "They can have their own country and our problem in the north will lessen."
Northerner Al-Razy Yassin, 27, however, said he felt very sad about the outcome.
"I believed that our strength is in our diversity," he said. "This means the failure of the Sudanese national state and I fear what might come."

There were tears on the face of Ikhlas Garang, a woman who is half northern and half southern, who cried, "Why are we separating? Why are we separating?"
Sudan's north and south fought a war for more than two decades, finally ending in a peace treaty in 2005 that paved the way for the referendum. The conflict, which left 2 million people dead, pitted a government dominated by Arab Muslims in northern Sudan against black Christians and animists in the south.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
This has been in the works for a while. The only thing new is that it's official.
Right. I was listening to NPR talk about how the Sudanese seem to blame the British for creating "Sudan" out of two* peoples who had nothing in common. Essentially immediately after gaining their independence they had a civil war. For seventeen YEARS. Followed by the second civil war, and a coup, That really only ended when they gave the south autonomy. It seems weird to Americans I think because of how our country was formed, but other former colonies have had serious consequences due to the imposition of borders by the colonizers. Think Afghanistan and its assorted ethnic groups who were told that they were all, magically, Afghani, and had to get along together.

*Two peoples doesn't really describe it. It's not as simple as Muslim vs. Christian, it's more about the ethnicities than that. It's the ethnic Nubian Arabs who are Muslim vs. Nilote (plural) who are Christian and animist. But you're still talking about a country with, according to wikipedia, 597 ethnicities who speak over 400 languages and dialects. The country is about 70% Muslim, 25% Animist, and 5% Christian.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Right. I was listening to NPR talk about how the Sudanese seem to blame the British for creating "Sudan" out of two* peoples who had nothing in common. Essentially immediately after gaining their independence they had a civil war. For seventeen YEARS. Followed by the second civil war, and a coup, That really only ended when they gave the south autonomy. It seems weird to Americans I think because of how our country was formed, but other former colonies have had serious consequences due to the imposition of borders by the colonizers. Think Afghanistan and its assorted ethnic groups who were told that they were all, magically, Afghani, and had to get along together.

*Two peoples doesn't really describe it. It's not as simple as Muslim vs. Christian, it's more about the ethnicities than that. It's the ethnic Nubian Arabs who are Muslim vs. Nilote (plural) who are Christian and animist. But you're still talking about a country with, according to wikipedia, 597 ethnicities who speak over 400 languages and dialects. The country is about 70% Muslim, 25% Animist, and 5% Christian.
Holy shit. I knew none of that.

I owe my Black History Month to you. Seriously.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post

I owe my Black History Month to you. Seriously.
I'm... honored? This was just a result of a few hours reading up on stuff because I'd heard the story on NPR earlier this week. Rarely does my useless information turn out to be so appreciated.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post

Quote:
Me either!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I knew none of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Me either!
Ditto. Wow.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Ditto. Wow.

Geee-iiiiiii-joooooe!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Ditto. Wow.

This.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

So what should the name of this new country be?

I vote Sussudio. That way they can have a similar name and a catchy National Anthem.