GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,875
0 members and 1,875 guests
No Members online

Old 12-12-2020, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta changes legacy policy

I knew it was likely a matter of time and I was right - Gamma Phi has changed our legacy policy to match other sororities' new policies where legacies are no longer given preferential treatment. They stated that it as a result of input from alums and collegians.

I read the post on Instagram and it appeared that the vast majority support this change. One thing of note - which perhaps is being voiced by other sororities' members although I don't know - was a frequent request to change the financial requirements of membership so that those with fewer resources could afford to join.

I don't recall all the other orgs that have done this - I think Delta Gamma might have been among the first. Anyone know if any others have done so?

Last edited by NYCMS; 12-12-2020 at 03:18 PM. Reason: to correct an error
Old 12-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
And do I recall correctly that Pi Phi has also followed?
We have not.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
We have not.
Thanks for clarifying, Carnation! I'll edit my post.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I read the post on Instagram and it appeared that the vast majority support this change. One thing of note - which perhaps is being voiced by other sororities' members although I don't know - was a frequent request to change the financial requirements of membership so that those with fewer resources could afford to join.

It depends on what we mean here. The last time I checked, the annual dues/fees for membership (IHQ) are surprisingly low. What kicks up the cost are the local chapter dues and house fees.

The house fees I can understand - having served on AHC for 14 years, keeping a modest-sized facility running is an expensive endeavor. I assume the costs for one of the mansion-sized places is astronomical. But, "most" of those costs are borne by the live-ins via room and board, which they would usually be paying for anyway as college students (unless they were living at home). In some (many?) instances, it's *more* affordable to live-in.

It's the local chapter dues that probably kick a lot of people in the pants. It seems that many chapters of GLOs are playing a game of one-upmanship. Who can have the better blow-out formal at the local resort, or who can spend big $$$ on professional grade recruitment videos, or designer recruitment outfits, etc. Sure, members like to have event t-shirts, etc; but there are a LOT of local costs.

It would seem to me that, if the members wanted to make their membership more accessible, they could start by taking a red pen to their own chapter budgets.

True and Constant
Old 12-12-2020, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
(edit) It's the local chapter dues that probably kick a lot of people in the pants. It seems that many chapters of GLOs are playing a game of one-upmanship. Who can have the better blow-out formal at the local resort, or who can spend big $$$ on professional grade recruitment videos, or designer recruitment outfits, etc. Sure, members like to have event t-shirts, etc; but there are a LOT of local costs.
Agree. Not sure collegians are seeing the difference between international dues and local costs. The houses! The big sister/little sister gifts! The outfits! The Bid Day parties that look created by a top party planner...when I read about chapter goings-on and see pics of various chapters, it seems clear that a lot of these high costs are due to 'lifestyle' items, not their national/international membership fee.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Most of my daughters went to medium-sized state universities with no or small houses (the kind only the officers live in) and then one went to a big university and WHOA! Major dues!

There is a HUGE difference in dues between campuses.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
It would seem to me that, if the members wanted to make their membership more accessible, they could start by taking a red pen to their own chapter budgets.
Agreed. The chapter I've worked with for over 20 years has been diligently reducing its chapter budget in each of the past three years.

This year the biggest financial problem for their collegians is meeting individual national dues, which unfortunately have not shrunk yet thankfully did not grow. A lot of temporary forgiveness and flexibility in all categories of dues collection has been the norm.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:51 PM

AFAIK, AEPhi has not altered our legacy policy since my collegiate days.

A legacy is the sister, daughter, or granddaughter of a sister.

During FR, the legacy gets automatically invited to the first invitational round unless she doesn't meet GPA requirements. After that, she can be released. If she is invited to pref on her own merits, she goes on the first bid list.

No guarantees if the legacy goes through informal recruitment, but it will be taken into consideration that she's a legacy.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't recall all the other orgs that have done this - I think Delta Gamma might have been among the first. Anyone know if any others have done so?
I thought I saw in another thread that there were 3 or 4 others besides Delta Gamma, but I can't find that thread.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Theta altered legacy policy this past July. Here's a link.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-15-2020, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

UVASquirrel, Here is the prior thread you might be looking for. The set up list is confusing... only those sororities with the ** beside their names have altered policies. And it has not been updated as additional groups have dropped legacy preferences.

Who Has Removed Preferential Treatment
Old 12-16-2020, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
UVASquirrel, Here is the prior thread you might be looking for. The set up list is confusing... only those sororities with the ** beside their names have altered policies. And it has not been updated as additional groups have dropped legacy preferences.

Who Has Removed Preferential Treatment
Yep!! That was it. I knew I had seen it before! Thanks!