GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,147
0 members and 2,147 guests
No Members online

Old 08-01-2006, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
Question asking about study abroad...

I am going to rush next week and I have been reading the forums for advice. I was wondering if it would be wrong/to forward to ask about how studying abroad will work with sorority commitments? I could see how that could be seen as almost rude, "she's not even a member yet, but is already trying to get out of commitments". At the same time I do plan on studying abroad at some point and I want to make sure that I could do both. Do you think that is to forward of a topic for rush?

Thank you for any input!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2006, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it should be a fine topic for discussion. Some sororities during recruitment set up a table or do a poster or something that says "You can find XYZ's here..." and lists activities that their members participate in such as Campus Ministry, band, study abroad, being an RA, etc. If any of the sororities at your school do this, you can bring it up that way. Good luck with recruitment!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousWildcat
I am going to rush next week and I have been reading the forums for advice. I was wondering if it would be wrong/to forward to ask about how studying abroad will work with sorority commitments? I could see how that could be seen as almost rude, "she's not even a member yet, but is already trying to get out of commitments". At the same time I do plan on studying abroad at some point and I want to make sure that I could do both. Do you think that is to forward of a topic for rush?

Thank you for any input!
You could ask if many of the sisters study abroad. Most if not all chapters have some sort of system set up for that.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Most chapters have experienced it at one time or another. I did it myself for a semester. I wouldn't worry about it all that much.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Most chapters will let you take financial inactivity for the time you are abroad. It is for the purpose of education, and not that you're just slacking! Do as the above posters have mentioned. Especially if you are a freshman, a great topic to introduce is the subject of travel and to ask if many of the members have done a study aboard program. I'd wait to discuss this until Day 2 or Day 3 of your recruitment events. Take the first day or two to feel out the sororities and get to know them on a level as people and what kinds of programs they have. It's like dating-- If you come into the first date and blurt out, "I'd studying abroad this spring; does that affect our relationship?" right after you exchange hellos and 2 minutes of small talk, it could be a bit off putting!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
It's like dating-- If you come into the first date and blurt out, "I'd studying abroad this spring; does that affect our relationship?" right after you exchange hellos and 2 minutes of small talk, it could be a bit off putting!
That is exactly what I was afraid of, but thanks everyone! I feel better knowing a better way to approach it!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
You could ask if many of the sisters study abroad. Most if not all chapters have some sort of system set up for that.
This is a great way to tackle the issue. Ask which sisters have studied abroad in the country you want to go to, and most likely the girl rushing you will try to make sure you meet one of those girls. It's a great topic for conversation, as long as you're not approaching it as "So, when I'm a member of XYZ, how will this affect my membership?"
Old 08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Are you commited to a programme of study yet? If you have not yet submitted your application or been accepted into a study abroad scheme...i'd just casually mention it. Because again, you're not guarenteed a bid and you're not guarenteed a spot in study abroad.

that all being said, DO! study abroad! I just got back and it was the most amazing experience of my life. My sisters were awesome and supportive. I was allowed to be "inactive", but my sorority is not NPC, so our bylaws are vastly different from the sororities you're likely to be rushing.

good luck in rush and study abroad!
Old 08-01-2006, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter (NPC) allowed us a semester leave for various reasons, a super heavy class load, study abroad, clinicals for nurses, that sort of thing. I don't know, but I'm sure this is not uncommon especially if there's lots of studying abroad on your campus
Old 08-01-2006, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with everything above. I wouldn't worry about it in terms of your membership in the chapter. My chapter had a LOT of girls study abroad over the 4 years I was there...it wasn't a big deal at all. I went abroad for a semester and I believe I was considered "inactive" for that time so I didn't pay dues, etc. It may be something to bring up as one of your interests though....good conversation topics are always a good thing to have in mind! Good luck!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

most of the girls here really encourage this type of experience, and as long as your not doing it your pledge (new member) semester i dont see how it would be a problem, a few girls in my chapter have been abroad...the loved it! good luck!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:07 AM
GreekChat Member

maybe a question better suited for your recruitment counselor? or ask her if she thinks it's a good idea to ask during parties, because she'll have a better grasp of the norms at the school and be a (mostly)neutral source for answers.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 08-02-2006, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

go for it!

About half of my chapter studied abroad at some point, maybe even more like 75%. That made for a very small Junior class! It's highly encouraged at my college, as well as among the chapter and other sororities on campus. I only went for a semester, but some went for a year without any hassle. During recruitment, this was one of the usual questions asked, in addition to major, but like I said, going abroad is part of our campus culture.
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 08-02-2006, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousWildcat

Thank you for any input!
I would definitely mention it in casual conversation, so that they can tell you about possible ways that they themselves could have studied abroad, such as doing what is called being "inactive" for a period of time. I know that a lot of ladies in my sorority, Kappa Delta, were able to go inactive while they studied in other countries for a semester. Some sororities may not have that benefit, though. Hope that helps a bit. I don't think they will hold asking a question such as that against you!!!