GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,156
3 members and 2,153 guests
John, Low D Flat, zdaidjunioro429

Old 10-03-2013, 10:16 PM
mpmpmp

Smile Colony Interview

I have an interview for a colonizing sorority at my school this Saturday and would like to know general questions I can expect and what types of answers I can give to make me stand out.

I'm not too worried about receiving a bid but I do hope they have a big group of girls to choose from. I decided to rush this sorority after realizing I probably should have rushed (again) a few weeks ago at my university. And I thought being a founding sister would be a pretty special experience!

Anyways, help would be greatly appreciated and happy Thursday!

P.s. I have read all colony threads on here so please don't link me to one
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-03-2013, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Just answer honestly and thoughtfully. They are looking for very strong leaders but you also have to be able to work in groups. Sorority women are can do and get it done types, so elitism isnt gonna cut the mustard.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! Read through some of the stickied recruitment threads for advice about questions and answers. Those same questions will be asked of you regardless of whether you are going through formal or colony recruitment.

People will want you to tell them about yourself, your interests, how you came be interested in Greek life and their sorority, what you feel you can contribute to a colony, your other commitments, leadership experience, major, etc. Answer in complete sentences, smile, and ask them questions in return: what made them go Greek/why that sorority/what type of alumnae support will the colony have/what sort of members are they looking for/what else can you tell them about yourself to help them make their decision?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

You usually fill out a 1 page form that has some questions on it. Be prepared to talk about any thing you have written down. What do you do in you free time?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

If it all went so well and you received a bid to your #1 choice, why are you now wanting to join a colony?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

You may not intend it this way, but saying things such as "I'm not too worried about receiving a bid, but I do hope they have a large number of women to choose from" and "what type of answers can I give so I stand out" project an attitude that can be interpreted several different ways...some not so appealing.

Are you worried that the other potential new members won't measure up?

There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. One is great...the other gets in the way of true sisterhood. Colony bids are not slam dunks and the BEST answer is an honest one. Maybe I am overly sensitive because I know my organization is colonizing this weekend.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Just so you know, being a founding member of a colony can be even more time consuming than being in an established chapter. You can't be "just a member." You will have to work very, very hard. Be prepared to show - concretely - that you are able to do this and still manage your time, not to mention your money. Those are giant red flags for anyone interviewing possible colonizing members.