GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,945
0 members and 1,945 guests
No Members online

Old 08-31-2015, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

The coding for the computer program must be complicated. Scares me to think about it haha.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-31-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I would have LOVED to see it in action. Now it's got to be pretty boring (the chapters send their lists electronically as I understand it so no interaction whatsoever) but sitting in the crowded trapezoidal room full of old broads (in their 30's LOL) pulling shenanigans (as I'm told there were plenty of) would have been fascinating. And SLOW. It took HOURS to run through that list over and over and over again. Can you imagine going through Bama's list, Aardvark, Amy. No match. Anderson, Betty. No match. Appleton, Carrie. Match Alpha Phi. (one name moves up on Alpha Phi's list). Arenson, Debbie. No match. Times 1500 names, and going through the list maybe 30 times? Zulu, Rebecca. No match. Aardvark, Amy. Match Kappa Alpha Theta. (one name moves on on Theta's list. Anderson, Betty. No match. Areson, Debbie. No match. Atchinson, Suzie. No match. Ayers, Mary. Match Zeta Tau Alpha. (one name moves up on ZTA's list).
I guess I always imagined it "Aardvark, Amy ranks AAA #1, AAA do you have her on your first list?" AAA - No match; "Anderson, Betty ranks DF #1, DF?" DF - Match!, etc.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would have LOVED to see it in action. Now it's got to be pretty boring (the chapters send their lists electronically as I understand it so no interaction whatsoever) but sitting in the crowded trapezoidal room full of old broads (in their 30's LOL) pulling shenanigans (as I'm told there were plenty of) would have been fascinating. And SLOW. It took HOURS to run through that list over and over and over again. Can you imagine going through Bama's list, Aardvark, Amy. No match. Anderson, Betty. No match. Appleton, Carrie. Match Alpha Phi. (one name moves up on Alpha Phi's list). Arenson, Debbie. No match. Times 1500 names, and going through the list maybe 30 times? Zulu, Rebecca. No match. Aardvark, Amy. Match Kappa Alpha Theta. (one name moves on on Theta's list. Anderson, Betty. No match. Areson, Debbie. No match. Atchinson, Suzie. No match. Ayers, Mary. Match Zeta Tau Alpha. (one name moves up on ZTA's list).
I am purt'darn sure there was wine and whining involved.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
I am purt'darn sure there was wine and whining involved.
Lovin' this!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
Its not that simple. Think of the first bid list like a box. The number of PMs that is quota goes into the box. You don't come out of the box until you match somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
Being a math nerd, I think I am going to attempt to make a video of how bid matching works so that folks can "see" it. I always say, "If you cannot make the math visible, you don't understand it."
Bah! I love this idea! Ok, so I got so into it that I wound up making a gif using AZ-AlphaXi's awesome box explanation:

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 09-01-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Make the gif smaller
Old 09-01-2015, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
^^^ that is awesome!!
Old 09-01-2015, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

That example is awesome!

I sort of feel sorry for Diana, though, for being the only PNM not to get her first choice.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

That is the best explanation I've seen. I just wish it was a longer list so that you could see 2nd choices and QA's. But when we say "a simplified explanation" this is exactly what we're saying, but with animation! Thanks LABlondeGPhi
Old 09-01-2015, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Sharing this with my friends in Panhellenic because I like it so much! Thanks LABlondeGPhi!!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That is the best explanation I've seen. I just wish it was a longer list so that you could see 2nd choices and QA's. But when we say "a simplified explanation" this is exactly what we're saying, but with animation! Thanks LABlondeGPhi
Also, I think I know the answer to this question but this would be the place to confirm my suspicions: if a girl maximizes her options and lists EVERY preference party she attends in some order, she is guaranteed a bid to one of those chapters, right? I've heard two girls now saying that they did this and did not receive a bid, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they're lying to save face as this seems impossible to me.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Yes. They would be quota additions (QAs) to a chapter IF THEY MAXIMIZED by listing every chapter they attended at Preference.

Waiting for someone to explain otherwise. "Guaranteed" comes with a qualifier - if something happens (that would make her an undesirable candidate for membership) between the time she attends Pref & signs her MRABA and when bid matching starts, then she would not get a bid. That sounds obtuse but you can read between the lines.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-01-2015, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Being more black and white, the conviction of her of animal abuse comes through after pref parties are announced but before bid lists are constructed would be a reason she would be cut even though she would otherwise be guaranteed a bid. But Clemsongirl, presuming these gals haven't made the papers, they are most likely lying. I think that's when, "well, bless your heart" becomes an appropriate thing to say, with no offers for help with COB or news that a colony may be in the offing.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! LABlonde. That is awesome.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks all! I think this is my best contribution to GC in ever.

I'll leave the full wamma-jamma video to Loyally Kappa or some other professionals
Old 09-01-2015, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

LOVE this!! with animation, no less! Thanks.

And yes, Clemsongirl, someone is fibbing somewhere or else they don't understand the phrase, "maximizing options"--which is entirely possible.