GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,441
1 members and 2,440 guests
navane

Old 07-18-2006, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Advice on "Sibling" Rush

I have a sibling who is currently rushing fraternities at my school. He is a double legacy with my fraternity but is strongly considering accepting a bid from another group (I'll call them ABC here). The guys in my fraternity are pressuring me to heavily rush him, but me and my cousin (who is a Kappa Sig alum from my chapter) want him to make his own decision.

Any thoughts?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-18-2006, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Tell him that you want him to make his own decision and join the chapter that is right for him, but do encourage him to check out the Kappa Sig chapter and learn more about it. Then you'll have covered all your bases.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Let him make his own choice. My younger brother is an ATO, and if you have ATOs and Sigma Nus on your campus, you know that the chapters rarely get along, as the differences between the two groups are fairly deep-rooted.

At any rate, give your younger brother advice about the various groups. Tell them which ones are full of crap come recruitment, furnish him with the facts, and let him make his own decision.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-18-2006, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree, let him make his own decision. Just because KS is right for you doesn't necessarily mean it will be the right fraternity for him. If in the end he does end up a KS, that's great, but if he feels more at home in XYZ, then that's where he should be.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I too agree. Let your brother make his decision.

However, unless he has flat out said he doesn't want to be a member of your chapter/fraternity, then that doesn't mean you (and your cousin) shouldn't rush him like you might any other - to borrow from the NPC folk - "rush crush". Treat him like you would any other rushee that you would really like to see as a member.

Along those lines, is it possible that he may be leaning toward ABC simply because he is not sure that you (and his cousin) want him to join the chapter? He may be getting a negative vibe (incorrectly) from the whole "make your own decision" thing. And then interprets it to mean you don't care one way or the other if he joins your chapter. This perceived lack of enthusiasm or passive indifference from you and your cousin may come across as y'all not caring. So while you both want him to make his own decision, be sure he understands that y'all want him to seriously consider y'all's chapter.

And if I may, some advice for the rest of your chapter. I've seen it happen where a chapter leaves it up to the family member to do most of the rushing. Frankly, the rest of the chapter should be the ones sealing the deal with your brother to join. They need to make sure your brother feels wanted by the chapter because of who *he* is (his own man) and not simply because he happens to be related to you. Again, this may be a reason he is leaning toward ABC.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you posted on updates.