GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,226
2 members and 2,224 guests
LaneSig

Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember getting my acceptance letter to Pepperdine, but don't remember the same kind of details from the other acceptance letters. With Pepperdine, I was expecting The Letter to come in April, which is when I had heard the school was sending them out. So I was totally surprised to come home from lacrosse practice one day and see the letter on the counter - and no one in my family had said a peep about it! I tore it open and read it carefully, and I remember admiring how beautiful and hoity-toity the letterhead and grammar was! I ran outside to find my mom, who was doing something in the yard. She smiled from ear to ear, gave me the biggest hug, and went on and on about how proud of me she was. Then I ran back inside, where my brother was talking to a friend on the phone and still wondering what was up with me running out of the house like I had. I told him, then he told his friend on the phone. I think he was just excited because Pepperdine was one of the schools he wanted to play baseball for when he was going to college a couple years later!

Funny thing is that Pepperdine was actually my #2. My #1 at the time was Boston University, but a specific program at that University that required special admission. I got accepted to Boston U, but not the program I was trying for, so that dropped them pretty much off my list. I would've loved Boston, but Boston U struck me as a little too much of a commuter school. That Boston U. letter didn't come until a week or two after the Pepperdine letter, and I wasn't nearly as excited about it. That should've been my clue that Pepperdine really was my first choice after all.

I was paranoid about not getting in to my first or second choice, so I applied to a bunch of others in case I couldn't make up my mind should those fall through. I ended up being accepted to all of them - USC (Calif.), Univ. of Washington, Univ. of Puget Sound, and Western Washington Univ.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-04-2008, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember being too excited about college acceptance. I got accepted to the three schools that I applied to (the only 3 in the state that had the major I wanted) and it was pretty much a matter of who was going to give me the most scholarship money.

My excitement was when I was accepted to OT school. We had to apply during our sophomore year and it was a very competitive program at my college. I had a roommate who didn't get in until her 3rd try, so that unnerved me. I made my college suitemate open it (she was the only one around at the time) because I couldn't. I was very excited!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it true that it is harder to get into the graduate school of the undergrad. school that you attend?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Knowledge1913 View Post
Is it true that it is harder to get into the graduate school of the undergrad. school that you attend?
It depends on the school.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Well, since I had to pay for all of my college applications myself, I decided to apply on a "rolling" basis to save money- so in November I sent in my application to my #1 choice- Ohio University. In December I started filling out all the info for Ohio State and Miami of Ohio. On Christmas Eve my Mom handed me an envelope from OU- and it was my welcome letter. Not only did I get into OU, but I also got into the TCOM program right off the bat (and didn't have to try and transfer in from University College like most people). It was a great Christmas.

Oh, and the Ohio State and Miami applications that were ready to go never did get mailed (so my strategy saved me $$ too!).

(I do like Ohio State, but it is 5 minutes from my parents house and I wanted to be a LITTLE farther away!)
Congratulations!!! There's nothing like getting accepted to your first choice college and not having to apply anywhere else! I recommend it highly. Ohio University seems to have an awesome Greek system, too.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
This actually happened only a couple of weeks ago, but I have been wanting to go to LSU since I was old enough to know better. I applied last summer, a year ahead of time, and nothing came for 8 or 9 months. Then they sent me something saying that i needed some test scores sent, so I sent them and waited another 3 months.....nothing came. I was getting letters and offers from Texas, UF, Rice, and other schools but still, no LSU. i was just starting to get worried, then about 3 weeks ago I got my letter saying that not only was i admitted, but i was offered admittance fro the summer too, and for early testing.

needless to say, i am thrilled!!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember the day I got accepted to the college of my dreams, but I do remember when I got the disappointing financial aid offer from them and realized that I was going to Maryland instead. It all worked out in the end though and I am proud to be a Terp!
Old 08-05-2008, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I remember it sooo vividly. I applied to a few different schools, just because I was sooo ready to leave home. Anywho, I applied to my "home" school and never heard anything back from them...so I called. The admission counselor was very "matter of fact" and say "You've been accepted"...Me: Okay, thank you, ma'am. AS SOON AS I HUNG UP, I was jumping and screaming all over our living room. Thank goodness no one was home! I called my mom on her cell and scream all in her ears. She was sooo excited, especially when the letter finally came...along with an ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIP!! Then I got my letter from my "dream" school and surprisingly, I wasn't as excited as my "home" school". I suspect finances were a factor because I already knew I couldn't afford my dream school.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

j

Last edited by kappalove17; 11-11-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Lol, I don't really say this a lot, but I didn't get accepted to the college of my dreams. I got rejected from that one and accepted to everywhere else. I guess it really wasn't meant to be, but I'm not disappointed. I had a fabulous time at my second choice and it's become more my home than anywhere else. I (and most of the other grads in my program) continually drive back just to hang out on campus and visit with each other and our teachers. I was just there 3 weeks ago and will be there again for Homecoming.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl