GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,310
2 members and 1,308 guests
AOIIalum, Titchou
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

UT spirit groups, take 2

The previous thread locked, but I wanted to post some (final?) comments:

I didn't say that I came here for tips about recruitment. And I must say, based on the PMs that are burning up my inbox, I'm far from the only person who is tired of LadyLonghorn's hostile attitude. I'm not sure where I "crossed the line." Feel free to look back at all of my posts so far and their progression. It is easy to be a bully on a forum like this because no one knows who you are, but shouldn't you be the same person here as you are in the rest of your life? Why go out of your way to be snarky when there is no need to be? As for the specifics of this incidence, I would be pretty surprised if anyone knew from what I posted what group my daughter is in. She has good friends in three other groups, and I based my generalities on hers plus the other three. Regardless, if anyone has the right to jump all over me for "outing" her, it would be my daughter herself.

Moving on, I don't think there's a lot of feelings of superiority in the spirit groups with regard to sororities, especially since there's a lot of crossover. And what I meant about them not having houses is that they tend to not be quite as close as sororities because there isn't a central gathering place where they all hang out.

There's not any hotility between spirit groups and sororities that I know of. I think spirit groups resent when people think they are "second choice," but people who know what they system really is know that the selection process is just as tough for spirit groups. I'm sure finances do have something to do with chosing a spirit group over a sorority because there is a big difference there. And I'm sure that people who are afraid of or have a preconceived notion about Greeks are also more drawn toward to spirit groups.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it seems like the spirit groups look for artistic ability but is that a huge selling point or is it pretty much personality? And do legacies get extra consideration in recruitment?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wary View Post

I didn't say that I came here for tips about recruitment.
You said:
Quote:
I can assure you that when my daughter's rush is over, I'm out of here. I believe that PNMs and people who care about them come here for tips and a different perspectives.
My apologies if I erred in assuming that you included yourself in "PNMs and the people who care about them."

Quote:
And I must say, based on the PMs that are burning up my inbox, I'm far from the only person who is tired of LadyLonghorn's hostile attitude.
Ah yes, the all-the-anonymous-people-who-agree-with-me defense. But to be clear, beyond believing that LL gave you good advice with your daughter's best interests in mind, I haven't commented on her or how she is perceived. I'm commenting on how you have responded.

Quote:
I'm not sure where I "crossed the line." Feel free to look back at all of my posts so far and their progression. It is easy to be a bully on a forum like this because no one knows who you are, but shouldn't you be the same person here as you are in the rest of your life? Why go out of your way to be snarky when there is no need to be?
One could easily ask you the same question. That said, I think these statements, all made without any knowledge of LL beyond what you've read here, crossed the line:
Quote:
Although to clarify, let me say that in my book, the most dismal [sorority at UT] of all would be the one with you, and others like you, as members.

You are a truly hostile person and quite a bully and a coward. . . .

Your rabid vitriol is not helpful and certainly doesn't do much to squash any negative stereotypes of sorority girls. Perhaps you should put as much energy into live participation in your sorority as you do policing this site.
Sorry, but it just rankles me to see someone call out someone else for rudeness and vitriol with even greater rudeness and vitriol.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

P.S. It's considered rude to continue an argument in a new thread when the previous one has been locked.

BTW, you are coming off as a major helimom. Back away from the keyboard.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

*Sigh*...reading threads like these makes me give thanks that my only child is a boy.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Thanks for posting this, Wary! I was just wondering if you had THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of words to post on a topic that was locked because the topic was stupid and caused Internet Bullshit (c)!

Also, words like "that I know of" and "I think" and "I'm sure" and "I'd be pretty surprised if" generally signify that your opinion is not rooted in personal, direct or relevant experience. Others may have that relevant experience. Listen to them.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Well, it seems like the spirit groups look for artistic ability but is that a huge selling point or is it pretty much personality? And do legacies get extra consideration in recruitment?
What's the point of a moderator locking a thread when she not only allows a new one to be created but comments in it herself?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

You are legend. And now so is your daughter. Congratulations on doing everything I cautioned you not to do when I only had your daughter's best interest in mind. Please feel free to feel smug, mature and superior.

I guess the unsolicited pm you sent me asking for advice about your daughter's second set shoes had nothing to do with looking for advice on Greekchat.

Quote:

I didn't say that I came here for tips about recruitment. And I must say, based on the PMs that are burning up my inbox, I'm far from the only person who is tired of LadyLonghorn's hostile attitude. I'm not sure where I "crossed the line." Feel free to look back at all of my posts so far and their progression. It is easy to be a bully on a forum like this because no one knows who you are, but shouldn't you be the same person here as you are in the rest of your life? Why go out of your way to be snarky when there is no need to be? As for the specifics of this incidence, I would be pretty surprised if anyone knew from what I posted what group my daughter is in. She has good friends in three other groups, and I based my generalities on hers plus the other three. Regardless, if anyone has the right to jump all over me for "outing" her, it would be my daughter herself.

Moving on, I don't think there's a lot of feelings of superiority in the spirit groups with regard to sororities, especially since there's a lot of crossover. And what I meant about them not having houses is that they tend to not be quite as close as sororities because there isn't a central gathering place where they all hang out.

There's not any hotility between spirit groups and sororities that I know of. I think spirit groups resent when people think they are "second choice," but people who know what they system really is know that the selection process is just as tough for spirit groups. I'm sure finances do have something to do with chosing a spirit group over a sorority because there is a big difference there. And I'm sure that people who are afraid of or have a preconceived notion about Greeks are also more drawn toward to spirit groups.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
What's the point of a moderator locking a thread when she not only allows a new one to be created but comments in it herself?
Yeah. Great "break" taken from the other thread.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Because 33 tried to get it back on track and some people went right on fighting. I honestly want to know more about the spirit groups!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Why not start a thread asking questions you want to know the answers to? One that's on topic?

Instead there's a post basically flouncing and calling out people the OP doesn't like, which is ... supposed to be a good place to learn about spirit groups??

I don't get it.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Because 33 tried to get it back on track and some people went right on fighting. I honestly want to know more about the spirit groups!
All right, the scientific approach:

spirit groups =/= GLOs.

Question: Why are we discussing spirit groups in a forum for GLOs? I cannot connect the dots. To me, it's like this: I'm in Mortar Board and I'm also a Kappa Alpha Theta. So what? They are independent organizations. I don't see that discussing recruitment and membership practices for non-GLOs fits here. I am willing to hear the rationale as to why it does, however.

Carnation, maybe you can reach out to someone who's actually IN a spirit group (or more than one person? more than one group?) to get your information. What you're getting here on GC is not coming from an actual participant of said group(s), so I question the validity and reliability of the data.

That's what I see. As for getting things on track, you can't unring the bell, Carnation. It's deafening.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

I know! But the first thread was full of all kinds of interesting things on the spirit groups and then it went down the toilet!

As a native Texan who left the state to go to college, I've always wondered about those groups!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Perhaps the caca can be edited out of the first thread and it can be reopened.

Wary, it's considered extremely bad form to create a second thread on a topic when a moderator has closed it. The moderator may be simply taking the thread off the public board for cleanup and it'll be viewable to all once he/she is done doing so. Creating a second thread (without giving the mod some time) can make more work for the moderator.

The thing that you said that people disliked the most was talking about reputations. We don't do that on here about sororities, and it isn't cool for sorority-like groups either.

We've talked on here about the social clubs at MUW so I don't think we can say "don't talk about things that aren't sororities."

And yes, housing or lack thereof has ZERO to do with the closeness of a group.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

The original poster asked that if anyone had a spirit group recruitment story, she would like to hear it. I said that my daughter was in a spirit group and was cautioned not to "out" my daughter before recruitment. After some thought, I realized that I could post general info about spirit groups and recruitment based on what my daughter and her friends had experienced without giving away too many details, and that's what I did. I'm not sure how that makes me a heli-mom or whatever, and I'm sorry that I don't respond well to snark and hostility. Yes, I wrote LL a PM asking about whether flats or higher shoes would be the best choice. So what? It doesn't matter, since she ignored my PM anyway.

As for why SG info is posted in the Sorority Recruitment thread, I have no idea since I wasn't the original poster. I was not trying to claim expertise. I have one profile on here and have never represented myself as anything other than a mom whose daughter is in spirit group and who is going through recruitment. I would imagine it's pretty rare that PNMs, at least successful ones, go through the process without help from their moms. I came to this site to read about others' recruitments at UT and similar schools and to perhaps meet other moms going through the same experience I am going through now. I think what I am most baffled by is why it is considered proper etiquette to be sarcastic and hostile to a poster whose posting you don't like but poor form to defend yourself if you feel you are being attacked.

In my original post in this thread, I spend two paragraphs trying to get back on topic. And KSig, I use words and phrases such as "as I know of" because 1. I'm not pretending to be an expert and 2. I don't want to be too specific about the things I do know because I'm trying to keep my daughter's ID private.

Carnation, personality matters a lot. Artistic ability/creativity is more important in some groups than others.

I will post my daughter's recruitment thread later this month, but nothing before or after that. One suggestion: Maybe there could be a parents' forum. I can understand why current students don't care to hear parents' opinions, especially if they think the parents are coming across as know-it-alls or the opposite -- newbies who don't know anything. So maybe a separate forum would solve that problem.
Closed Thread