GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,298
2 members and 1,296 guests
AOIIalum, Titchou

Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumnae Dinner

My chapter is hosting an Alumnae Dinner for the first time since 2007. I've been looking online for favor ideas but I cant find any in a reasonable price range can anyone help me out?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi. First, you posted this twice. Maybe a mod can move the other thread.

Second, why do you need favors? Where do you order favors for other stuff from?

Alumnae dinners are fun. Try to enjoy yourself.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

don't waste your money on favors. write the alumnae a thank you note for all they do for you chapter, bake them some cookies and wrap them up, a couple of cookies per alum or get a bunch of roses[costco has really nice roses, cheap(pink roses are your flower, right?)], tie ribbons in your colors to each stem and give one to each alum.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 03-31-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
don't waste your money on favors. write the alumnae a thank you note for all they do for you chapter, bake them some cookies and wrap them up, a couple of cookies per alum or get a bunch of roses[costco has really nice roses, cheap(white roses are your flower, right?)], tie ribbons in your colors to each stem and give one to each alum.
Both great ideas! I think it's nice that you want to get your alumnae something, but most favor items just sit around and gather dust unless you can think of something truly practical and affordable. I think a handwritten note a thoughtful touch. You could use the notes as placecards if the dinner is formal.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

What about small containers or tulle bags of M&M's in a mix of your sorority's colors? I always like edible favors when I go to weddings or events. Less expensive, easier to buy in bulk, less likely to be collecting dust or forgotten, etc. The M&M's website even lets you personalize the candy now with sayings and pictures. You could put your sorority/chapter letters on the candy, crest, or mascot.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
don't waste your money on favors. write the alumnae a thank you note for all they do for you chapter, bake them some cookies and wrap them up, a couple of cookies per alum or get a bunch of roses[costco has really nice roses, cheap(white roses are your flower, right?)], tie ribbons in your colors to each stem and give one to each alum.
Pink roses.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I vote on no formal favors. If Alumnae are visiting you, they want to get to know the girls more than anything. I think that a single pink rose or colored candy is more than enough, and very sweet. Another thing which would be cute is to make a place card using the photo from their composite pictures, if you can scan them. It's a hoot seeing what people looked like from "back when".

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

oh goodness, I am so sorry alpha xi alums and collegians, that i did not remember that you all have the gorgeous pink rose as your flower. thank you, aopi angel for correcting me! mea culpa!!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
oh goodness, I am so sorry alpha xi alums and collegians, that i did not remember that you all have the gorgeous pink rose as your flower. thank you, aopi angel for correcting me! mea culpa!!
No worries!! I do love our roses. The past few years, I've been getting them for our founder's day celebration. No one can believe that they are from the grocery store floral department. They really are gorgeous!!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 AM

I vote no on formal favors too - especially glassware - BUT here is an idea...

If you have a catalog or brochure or website addresses from Greek clothing companies, make those available to the alums. We had quite a few women who said they wanted an ASA t-shirt or polo but everyone wanted something different. The thing is no one had any idea where to begin (we were of the age when everything came from the on-campus Greek store). I'm not saying you have to coordinate an order or anything - don't do that - just let the alums know where to go.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I vote no on formal favors too - especially glassware - BUT here is an idea...

If you have a catalog or brochure or website addresses from Greek clothing companies, make those available to the alums. We had quite a few women who said they wanted an ASA t-shirt or polo but everyone wanted something different. The thing is no one had any idea where to begin (we were of the age when everything came from the on-campus Greek store). I'm not saying you have to coordinate an order or anything - don't do that - just let the alums know where to go.
That's a great idea, especially if some of the alumnae have (gasp!) lost their pin(s).

Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

A single pink rose is always appreciated. You can use them as decorative centerpieces tied with double blue and gold ribbon and then give a single rose to each alum as she leaves.

If you do not have the funds to purchase roses, then I would go with a treat - handful of m&ms, cookies, a brownie, etc.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The best thing you can do is be prepared with the etiquette appropriate for the event. Every member should stand when an alumna enters the room, every alum should be spoken to personally, the chapter house should be all the way clean, secret handshake should be used, etc. Pull out all the stops for them and they'll notice and appreciate it. And maybe even fork over a check.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

This is going somewhere, I promise!

When we had our 150th Anniversary Dinner, there was a 150th fund for scholarships. Most alumnae attending were more than willing to round up their checks to include something for the scholarship fund, but some went the extra mile.

One alumna wrote a check for $150 over and above the regular dinner cost. We had our dinner, and the favors were the same old crested glassware, with blue & white m&ms. On the way out, the chairman stopped the generous alumna and said, "Thank you so much for the generous check! We were able to get favors for tonight!"

The alumna was absolutely LIVID that her money was used for favors, and not the scholarship fund! That was actually the last time anyone saw her, because she felt so betrayed - and didn't even get a thank you note.

The moral: Alumnae who have been around have been favored out the wazoo. What they really want is to be thanked for the time and generosity they've demonstrated, whether it was once or every event since they've graduated. Go with the rose and a thank you note, or even a scroll of thanks, tied in your sorority colored ribbons. 33girl has a good idea about having catalogs available - and maybe someone to coordinate orders.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
When we had our 150th Anniversary Dinner, there was a 150th fund for scholarships. Most alumnae attending were more than willing to round up their checks to include something for the scholarship fund, but some went the extra mile.

One alumna wrote a check for $150 over and above the regular dinner cost. We had our dinner, and the favors were the same old crested glassware, with blue & white m&ms. On the way out, the chairman stopped the generous alumna and said, "Thank you so much for the generous check! We were able to get favors for tonight!"

The alumna was absolutely LIVID that her money was used for favors, and not the scholarship fund! That was actually the last time anyone saw her, because she felt so betrayed - and didn't even get a thank you note.

The moral: Alumnae who have been around have been favored out the wazoo. What they really want is to be thanked for the time and generosity they've demonstrated, whether it was once or every event since they've graduated. Go with the rose and a thank you note, or even a scroll of thanks, tied in your sorority colored ribbons. 33girl has a good idea about having catalogs available - and maybe someone to coordinate orders.
There's a few other morals here, too. If you're the one doing the planning, include the cost of any favors or incidentals -- whether true favors or the something simple like roses -- in the basic cost of the event. And if you're the alum, never write a check for more than the cost of the event without specifying what the extra is to be used for. Otherwise, you shouldn't complain if doesn't get used as you intended.