GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,439
0 members and 2,439 guests
No Members online

Old 05-18-2007, 04:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOPi_Jawbreaker View Post
Since nobody has posted from the Asian GLO point of view, I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.

My sorority was founded in 1930 during a time when there were still many discriminatory laws against Asians and many hate crimes committed against Asians. Our founders were double minorities...they were women and they were Asian. They banded together to provide support for one another, to promote education, and to assist those in need.

While our philanthropies are broad and not specific to one race, we do have events that specifically promote Asian-American awareness.
First of all I wanna say I absolutely love the SoPi girls here, they're amazing. I'm actually attending the SoPi Unity Party up in LA this saturday night.

Anyways, seeing as how UCSD is 50% Asian, I think it's pretty obvious that the Asian-American community wanted to see some multicultural, specifically Asian Frats and Sororities. Politically correct, I guess they're called Asian-American "Interest" Fraternities and Sororities. We have Lambda Phi Epsilon, Pi Alpha Phi, and Psi Chi Omega representing the Asian frats and alpha Kappa Delta Phi, Kappa Zeta Phi, and Sigma Omicron Pi as the three Asian sororities on campus. Rho Delta Chi is a small multicultural sorority that is predominantly Asian, but isn't considered an Asian sorority. Beta Omega Phi is trying to colonize here from San Diego State University, but it seems like in the past few years Lambdas have tried to stop other Asian frats from colonizing...so we'll see how that goes. Asian frats just offer a family away from home that might be better suited for Asians.

Personally as an Asian and as a proud brother of Sigma Phi Epsilon, I feel that the family I have as an Ep is beyond comparison. It's just a matter of comfort, generally speaking most of my friends are Asian, and even that I didn't join an Asian frat. SigEp is historically known to be insanely diverse, I think our chapter is about 50% White, 30% Asian and 20% Latino so things are real good here.

Bottom line, it's all a preference.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Whites tend not to express their interests as "white interests" because many whites don't think they have a race or ethnicity. "Whiteness" is invisible so they see their interests as "people interests" or "mainstream interests." When, in fact, their interests translate to "white cultural interest." This is why I go beyond the race-neutral jargon to get to what (white) people are really conveying.

I find the term "whitey frat" offensive. Was it used in this thread? Being the minority at a chapter doesn't mean anything.

Got past what stuff?

Wanting to be around people with the same interests who tend to look like them? Why would humans ever get past that? There's nothing inherently bad about it as long as it isn't based on inequality or perpetuates inequality.

Even people in multicultural organizations want to be around people with the same interests who tend to look like them. That's why most of them have friends, family, and acquaintances of the same race once they leave their multicultural chapter meetings and events.

You find "whitey frat" offensive? I do too, but all too often in my life I've been called "whitey" and "white boy" when I'm around minorities so I use it as a rhetorical device these days. Got past what stuff? Got past the self-segregation....culturally, politically, and residentially. It's totally ridiculous.

I guess the tables have turned. I would never dream of denying a bid based on race or culture....however I speak with great confidence in saying that I am 99% sure I would never get a bid in an NPHC fraternity no matter how many friends I had in the org and even if I did get a bid I would suffer so hard through pledging in order to make me quit. Sure I've heard of white people in Latina sororities or in black fraternities but it is FAR and FEW between. You claim that "general interest" is "white interest".....if that is so then why are there so many minorities in general interest fraternities and sororities?
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 05-18-2007, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstar
Anyways, seeing as how UCSD is 50% Asian, I think it's pretty obvious that the Asian-American community wanted to see some multicultural, specifically Asian Frats and Sororities.
Keeping in mind the OPs pov on MC GLOs, I would argue that being "XYZ "interest"" GLOs, they in fact are not multicultural. That is not to say that they do not have a multicultural membership (i.e. non-asians in the organization). Check back to the the OPs first few posts in this thread and you will see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMcGuire1983 View Post
You claim that "general interest" is "white interest".....if that is so then why are there so many minorities in general interest fraternities and sororities?
I'm going to need you to define "minority" and/or give me some NPC/IFC/NIC stats (if there are any-don't know if they keep said stats) to support the claim that there are "so many minorities in general interest" organizations.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You find "whitey frat" offensive? I do too, but all too often in my life I've been called "whitey" and "white boy" when I'm around minorities so I use it as a rhetorical device these days. Got past what stuff? Got past the self-segregation....culturally, politically, and residentially. It's totally ridiculous.

I guess the tables have turned. I would never dream of denying a bid based on race or culture....however I speak with great confidence in saying that I am 99% sure I would never get a bid in an NPHC fraternity no matter how many friends I had in the org and even if I did get a bid I would suffer so hard through pledging in order to make me quit. Sure I've heard of white people in Latina sororities or in black fraternities but it is FAR and FEW between. You claim that "general interest" is "white interest".....if that is so then why are there so many minorities in general interest fraternities and sororities?
This says a lot here about how uneducated you are about your own environment, race relations in America and in the world (past and present), and the history of sociological issues facing minority groups in the U.S. and in the world. Do you really not get that "general interest" is "white interest" in the U.S. especially? It really saddens me that we have so many college educated people in the U.S. and in the world, but many of them are not educated about issues that indirectly affect them and directly affect their fellow men and women. It's really mind boggling that your eyes could be so closed. Being sheltered and not growing up among those who are different from you is no excuse for being ignorant of the issues facing your fellow citizens...and this goes for the majority and minorities alike. Yes, you have some minorities who did not grow up in areas where their race or culture was dominant and so they too walk around with their eyes closed if they did not educate themselves. There is no excuse to be so blind. Even though you may not get certain information in school, from your textbooks, you can get it by opening your eyes, observing your environment (all of it), talking to different people, and in doing the research for yourself. And this is not an attack on you but hopefully it will be a wake up call to do some research and be more observant so that you can truly understand the world in which you live.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 05-18-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
There is no excuse to be so blind.

And yet people continue to spout ignorance. Double-consciousness is alive and well, no?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You find "whitey frat" offensive? I do too, but all too often in my life I've been called "whitey" and "white boy" when I'm around minorities so I use it as a rhetorical device these days.
Just making sure you weren't like some whites who use such terms to seem cool and "down for the cause."

Quote:
Got past what stuff? Got past the self-segregation....culturally, politically, and residentially. It's totally ridiculous.
"Self-segregation" isn't an all inclusive phrase and isn't inherently bad. In fact, most forms of segregation aren't self-imposed but their harm is measured by outcome versus intent. What's the harmful outcome of the existence of BGLOs and MCGLOs? I don't see one.

But the fact that you thought people had stopped separating themselves makes me wonder what planet you just arrived from.

Quote:
I guess the tables have turned.
Not at all.

Quote:
You claim that "general interest" is "white interest"
No, I don't. Most whites claim that.

Quote:
if that is so then why are there so many minorities in general interest fraternities and sororities?
Because many of these minorities believe that it just so happens that their GLOs were founded by whites and consist mainly of whites. So they've bought into the jibberjabber that whites are capable of controlling organizations without furthering whites' interests and reflecting "white culture." Therefore, at least within the confines of their organization, they believe there's no such thing as "white culture"/"white interests" aside from plain old people/mainstream/collegiate/Greek interests.

Whether they believe that jibberjabber when they aren't hanging out at the fraternity house is another story.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It really saddens me that we have so many college educated people in the U.S. and in the world, but many of them are not educated about issues that indirectly affect them and directly affect their fellow women and men.

Fixed that for you.

It's not a good idea to challenge people to see beyond their own standpoint of understanding while using male-centered language.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Fixed that for you.

It's not a good idea to challenge people to see beyond their own standpoint of understanding while using male-centered language.
Thanks for the correction. I was once very sensitive to this.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar08 View Post
And yet people continue to spout ignorance. Double-consciousness is alive and well, no?
unfortunately, this is the reality.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. I was once very sensitive to this.
I was once very ignorant to it. Someone had to school me years ago.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

What is sad, we talk about being Ethnic, but We as Greeks or the true Minoritys on Campus.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-18-2007, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
What is sad, we talk about being Ethnic, but We as Greeks or the true Minoritys on Campus.

Do you mean Greek as in GLO or Greek as in "Hi, I am Paki from Cyprus?"
Old 05-18-2007, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWithers View Post
Do you mean Greek as in GLO or Greek as in "Hi, I am Paki from Cyprus?"

DAR!

Simple isn't it?

Oh me are you out there some where? What Planet are you from?

Golly your funniness is, where ever you are. It is witisjisims I takle it?

There is a big difference in what you were were refering to and you have been on here long enough to realize that.
If do not understand this a Greek GLO Site for Social Greeks of Organizations then why even ask? GLO's!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-18-2007, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
DAR!

Simple isn't it?

There is a big difference in what you were were refering to and you have been on here long enough to realize that.
If do not understand this a Greek GLO Site for Social Greeks of Organizations then why even ask? GLO's!

1.) Joke!

B.) I still don't understand anything you are saying. Not a joke.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
DAR!

Simple isn't it?

I hope you lose your wallet......soon.