GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131

Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Make up palette

I am really big on the Stila palettes; lip/cheek color and eye shadow all in one recruitment ready palette. Great for touch-ups. At $16 they are a steal.

http://www.sephora.com/search/brandR...8&brandId=3865
Old 07-15-2012, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Last minute items!

We're just about one month out now - - some other things to remember.

1. Now is the time to make hair or nail appointments. Don't wait until the last minute and then not be able to get in to see your regular stylist. This NOT the time to try a new do. (Wait until after schools starts to see how you'd look as a platinum blonde.....) You don't want to risk something going horribly wrong and not have time to fix it. (Just think pink hair at recruitment....)

2. At a big competitive recruitment, you don't want to look too wildly different from the picture you sent in. It will confuse girls when they are trying to remember who was who after meeting 1000 girls. If you added highlights that's not a big deal, I'm talking about --> don't cut all your hair off right before recruitment.

3. If you have specific favorite makeup or face soap - stock up or order it before you go to move into the dorms. Don't count on being able to find it when you get there. (I regularly warn people about toilet paper shortages right when the students get back to town too... )

4. Finally, (just like I would tell someone going on a job interview) if you have piercings besides your ears or maybe a small nose ring (like the Indian girls wear?) consider your audience. This maybe doesn't apply to every school - but some of the southern schools can be really conservative. This might be the time to find a clear acrylic stud to wear so that its not a distraction. You want to make a great first impression right?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

In the dollar bins at Target, they have a two pack of mini lint rollers. That might be a good thing to keep in the bag.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm beginning to think that everyone waits for me to add...

-Coffee filters, for blotting your face without smearing your makeup. Personally, I think the Mr. Coffee ones work the best.

-Purell, to use after the sniffling sister shakes your hand.

And not for your bag, but courtesy of a PNM from the past: please remember that, when you shave your legs, shave your toes! Don't be PNM Hairy Toes to any GLO!!

Last edited by honeychile; 07-15-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
3. If you have specific favorite makeup or face soap - stock up or order it before you go to move into the dorms. Don't count on being able to find it when you get there.
YES. All Macy's/Walgreens/wherever you get your health and beauty aids are not created equal. Just because there's one in your college town doesn't mean it won't be a 100th of the size of the one you are used to patronizing.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Not something tangible, but having someone not at your school who is not greek to talk to throughout the whole process is really helpful. Especially someone who knows you very well. Sure, they won't really have the full grasp of the whole thing, but you can talk and vent and cry to them without them having any bias whatsoever and only your best interests at heart. Though they may regret it later when you fall in love with your sorority and never stop hearing about it...

for hope, for strength, for life
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok I have one more I thought of -

Stay away from Spanks unless you absolutely have to. Its going to be 100 degrees outside and odds are at least one chapter will have their air conditioner die - you dont want to be that chick who passed out. I mean if your pref dress doesnt fit without them ok - but itll be hot hot HOT during first round.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 AM

If your pref dress doesn't fit without them - you probably shouldn't be wearing that pref dress.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Good point 33 girl - but I know girls obsessed with not having any lines under a dress.

I can totally see where a stress or that time of the month can make a dress that was perfect two weeks ago not look quite right when you pull it out to put it on. Finding suitable undergarments beats trying to find another dress last minute. By prefs things won't be so crowded and girls can usually sit down for a while, so it won't be so hot.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

*bump*

The spam is killin' me.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

me too!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Does anyone know a brand of gel mini-deodorants?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

I know that I have seen mini deodorants in the travel bins at Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart, but I don't know if they are gel or not.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's something I'm doing for rush because it seems like a good idea to me. Thought I'd share!
Upgrading my antiperspirant/deodorant. Seriously. Regular old Dove Ultimate is fine for me on a normal day, but during rush it is going to be HOT. Everyone's going to sweat more than they normally do. I suggest buying a stronger/clinical strength deo for rush week. I got some "Mitchum SmartSolit Clinical Performance" deodorant/antiperspirant on sale for $2 at CVS yesterday, which is CHEAP compared to the $8-12 you normally pay for clinical strength.
I also recommend giving it a test drive first so you know it works. I used mine today and it kept me dry all day!
/deodoRANT.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is headed to prefs today. I packed a cute Vera Bradley messenger bag (love the Vera Bradley outlet in Nashville) with everything. She said she loved the messenger bag because it closes so nothing falls out. She can also use it instead of a backpack on days she only has a couple of classes. My daughter has been sharing her supplies with other girls. She has been passing out band-aids to those with blisters. She did not get blisters because I packed the band-aid blister block thing you all suggested. The one thing I wish I would have packed was Tums, Pepto-Bismal or other stomach settling medicine. Fortunately, when my daughter needed it, her Pi Chi found her some.