GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,509
0 members and 1,509 guests
No Members online

Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdelt View Post
TCU first day of Panhellenic recruitment started today...apparently a record-breaking 700+ freshman girls are registered for this week. That's a pretty significant number when the freshman class is probably around 1,500. I'm always so curious to see where the incoming girls I know will land...wishing them all a successful and fun recruitment!

Wishing my TCU Thetas, as well as all the other chapters, good luck this week!

(oh, and welcome back ebdelt)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

YAYYYYYYY! AGDAlum asked me to write a rec for a friend who was rushing at Mississippi State and she went PI PHI!!!!!! YAYYYY!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

that is good news!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
TCU first day of Panhellenic recruitment started today...apparently a record-breaking 700+ freshman girls are registered for this week. That's a pretty significant number when the freshman class is probably around 1,500. I'm always so curious to see where the incoming girls I know will land...wishing them all a successful and fun recruitment!

Go, Horned Frog pnms! And good luck to my TCU sisters!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Just heard from my sister that around 480 PNMs went through the first day of recruitment at Iowa State. That's about the same as they had last year - which is great!

ETA: Ames also had some major flooding last week and my sister said most chapters had some sort of water in their basement. The Sigma Sigma chapter of Kappa Delta had just finished a beautiful remodel of their house, including the basement, which got flooded. The chapters also had to deal with a boil order and water conservation rules in effect last week because several water mains broke due to the floods. Despite that, she said the PNMs are enthusiastic and the girls in the chapters are excited for how things are going! Pref night is tomorrow.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 08-17-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
Just heard from my sister that around 480 PNMs went through the first day of recruitment at Iowa State. That's about the same as they had last year - which is great!

ETA: Ames also had some major flooding last week and my sister said most chapters had some sort of water in their basement. The Sigma Sigma chapter of Kappa Delta had just finished a beautiful remodel of their house, including the basement, which got flooded. The chapters also had to deal with a boil order and water conservation rules in effect last week because several water mains broke due to the floods. Despite that, she said the PNMs are enthusiastic and the girls in the chapters are excited for how things are going! Pref night is tomorrow.
I know Gamma Phi's house there was damaged (IH sent a request for assistance out over the Facebook feed).
Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
YAYYYYYYY! AGDAlum asked me to write a rec for a friend who was rushing at Mississippi State and she went PI PHI!!!!!! YAYYYY!!!
I posted that news somewhere!
Old 08-19-2010, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Today is Bid Day at Iowa State! Quota was 29 this year, which is awesome. So far, I only two results from two chapters (Kappa and Gamma Phi), and both made quota.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
Today is Bid Day at Iowa State! Quota was 29 this year, which is awesome. So far, I only two results from two chapters (Kappa and Gamma Phi), and both made quota.
Alpha Delta Pi aslo made quota.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I can't wait to hear the results - 700+ sounds a little exausting in that heat. Oh the memories. Go ADPi!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
You rang??

AOII came on in 2007. I can't even begin to explain that whole process. First of all, Arkansas is certainly one of those schools that you would think NPCs would be drooling at the opportunity to charter. However, when it came down to it, the 2 groups presenting with AOII (Delta Zeta and Phi Mu) both withdrew from consideration before panhellenic voted. Not being an insider of DZ or Phi Mu, I don't know exactly why that happened, but I could muster a good guess.

In my opinion, Arkansas is quite similar to another SEC school - Ole Miss. Huge Greek system, huge chapters, huge interest in Greek life, very few NPC chapters. Seems like everyone wants a chapter at these schools but few can take the plunge. AOII invested millions in that chapter. That kind of investment is somewhat crippling even if it works out - you have to pass on other potential expansion opportunities, you risk the assets of the entire fraternity, etc. The panhellenic as a whole was not particulatly inviting to AOII in some ways, the university is difficult to work with (regarding land, construction, etc.) and Fayetteville is not a big metro area with lots of alums. I think most NPC groups would have difficulty making it at Arkansas. PNMs are Greek savvy there. They understand southern name recognition as far as sororities go. Certain groups might not fare well becaue of that. Very similar to Ole Miss.

I think Arkansas needs a new sorority or 2, but there aren't lots left on Maple, which is sorority row. The old DG house is still there and is owned by the university. It is my understanding that DG retains rights to reclaim that house should they recolonize. (And that is a lovely house with a fabulous location.) The university owns all of the remaining land. AOII owns our house but leases the land it sits on from the university. Bizarre. Our construction was delayed 1 1/2 YEARS due to red tape with the university. We lost many members because of this delay.

Some very strong NPCs have folded at Arkansas and I think that scares off potential colonies as well. A very strong, southern group colonized there in 1989 and made quota for the first time in 2006 I believe. It is a tough campus. I really think only a very small handful of NPCs would have much of a chance of success despite the desperate need for new chapters.

Just my 2 cents.
Here is a prospective of a colonizing member and recent Alum of AOII:

The amount of girls going through recruitment at Arkansas is VERY exciting! However, I agree with you all it is time to bring in more chapters. As the newest chapter on campus many AOII members were unsure wether it would benefit or hinder their growing reputation on campus. I think the 4 full years we have had to establish ourselves is enough. I think pledge classes of possibly a 100 could hurt all the chapters. It is hard to get to know that many girls and make them all feel welcome. I think AOII has had enough time to establish themselves and its another persons turn to be the "new chapter" on campus. I think even bringing in 2 chapters a once so they are on the same level would be better than bringing in 1 in lets say 2012 and another in 2013. They wont have time to prove themselves.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

How lovely

Our Clemson chapter sent me notes for the two recs I wrote:" Epsilon Theta Chapter of Gamma Phi Beta wishes to thank you for your interest in recommending _________________ and assures you she will be shown every courtesy and given every consideration." - signed by the membership VP.

Those South Carolina girls are certainly charming!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss has 800 signed up already. They have one more month until Water Parties on September 19. Then the other parties start on October 20. Bid Day is October 24. I would expect at least another 100-150 to sign up. I know the chapters have been told to expect larger pledge classes than last year. There are 9 NPC groups.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

anyone hear pnm numbers on University North Texas?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post

Wishing my TCU Thetas, as well as all the other chapters, good luck this week!

(oh, and welcome back ebdelt)
Several girls I went to high school with are rushing at TCU, I can't wait to see where they end up!

pi beta phi