GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,421
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LeahArguet
» Online Users: 2,582
4 members and 2,578 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 09-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Student found dead at OU Sigma Chi House

OU fraternity death investigated

From staff and wire reports

NORMAN -- Authorities were investigating the death of a 19-year-old freshman student at OU's Sigma Chi fraternity house this morning, Norman police said .

OU President David Boren to close fraternity

Blake Adam Hammontree, who graduated from Medford High School last spring, was found dead about 10:30 a.m., Norman police said. Emergency personnel were called to the house at 1405 Elm Ave.

Blake Hammontree is the son of Grant County Associate District Judge Jack Hammontree, the judge's secretary confirmed today.

Police said the incident is being investigated as a possible homicide.

"The university is thoroughly investigating this matter through the OU police in cooperation with the Norman Police Department," said OU President David Boren. "It is heartbreaking to lose a member of our OU family. Our love and sympathy go out to his family and friends. The safety and well-being of our students is our top priority."

-- Now, what I hear right now is that Boren (the President) has decided that the Sigma Chi house will be gone within two weeks. He is pretty certain at this point that alcohol was involved. I haven't heard much more than the above about the identity of the dead kid, but I'll let y'all know if I hear anything.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-30-2004, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Do these things happen in threes?

About 10 days ago I posted that these things often happen in threes, and I hope this is the end.

One of the Fraternal News posts today by Doug Case mentioned Sept. alcohol deaths at Michigan, Princeton, and Magill (Canadian) - but apparently none are GLO related.

Last edited by hoosier; 10-01-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:42 PM

Agree, but unfortunately this could be four if this and the SDSU death turns out to be alcohol related. Remember, we've had two here in Colorado.

Our son, who goes to Oklahoma (not Greek) turns 21 in January and I have asked him to please be careful. I think he will. At least I hope so.

(Damn, KT, please use "Oklahoma" for the sake of my stomach -- I was really worried that this happened at my Alma Mater, Ohio University -- which is OU to those of us who grew up in the Midwest. I know that the text is from the local newspaper, but maybe you could change the thread topic?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 09-30-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

The Norman, Oklahoma police say that the medical examiner has determined that the Sigma Chi pledge's blood alcohol content was .42. Please see the excerpt from station KTOK's web site in the thread on this topic in the "Greek Life" forum.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to steelepike Send a message via Yahoo to steelepike
As a current student at The University of Oklahoma i will put forth a few words on this:

This is extremely sad and has an impact on much of the Norman Campus. From his friends, classmates and those in his fraternity to those that have never met him and see that this has hit so close to home much of the student body is taking this to heart. I myself have had numerous converstions about this with people.

Now don't hate me for this next part but the Sigma Chis here don't have a spotless history. They have been on social probation numerous times since i have been in norman and they have even celebrated this with a Shirt they made last spring in which it had the list of the semesters they have been on social probation going back to the late 80s and claiming that it is just tradition. I knew with their reckless behavior it was only a matter of time til something happened i just never knew it would be this. Two years ago it was a hazing incident last year it was an insident with a girl passed out in their lawn(this was definately not their fault the girl was walking from another party but they still caught the punishment from it), and earlier this year they had an unknown incident where multiple police vehicles were in front of their house. And now this. Well I truly am sad this happened and i wish it just didn't happen.

Most likely the Sigma Chi Charter will get pulled and beyond that the Police are treating this as a homicide and possibly taking legal action against the Fraternity and the Exec members or those they can find at fault. Plus the students father is a District Judge so i think the family will seek a punishment or a suit against the fraternity.

All of this is too early to speculate but i truly wish it didn't happen.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

I feel like the impact of this will reach other schools in the area. I know that at UCO, we're paying a great deal of attention to this. I can only assume that our administration is as well.

Judging by all the times Sigma Chi was on probation, it seems like a suit against the general fraternity could be huge. I also imagine that the local chapter has very deep pockets.

Steel, what you're saying stacks up. As an alum, I attended a few OU Rush events. The things that I heard about that particular chapter were not positive. In fact, I recall browsing over one of their rush flyers that contained numerous inaccuracies and straight up lies concerning their GPA and other important stats.

From everything that's come out and from what I've heard in the past about this chapter, it was only a matter of time before this kind of thing happened.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-01-2004, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Thought I'd post this here as well.

SIGMA CHI MOURNS TRAGIC DEATH

Quote:
Sigma Chi takes a very hard line on alcohol abuse. We have suspended and sanctioned chapters for infractions far less serious than those alleged in this case. To make it clear, our policies state that:

~The illegal possession, sale or distribution of alcohol at a chapter house or during a fraternity function is prohibited. This means that all chapter members, collectively or individually, are prohibited from purchasing, selling or serving alcohol to any person under the legal drinking age.

~Our chapters are prohibited from hosting an open social function where alcohol is present.

~Under no circumstances shall alcohol be served to any member or pledge in connection with any aspect of the pledge education program.

A preliminary investigation suggests these policies were violated in the Beta Kappa chapter house. If verified, the chapter—which we suspended on Thursday—will not be reactivated any time soon.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to steelepike Send a message via Yahoo to steelepike
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake

Judging by all the times Sigma Chi was on probation, it seems like a suit against the general fraternity could be huge. I also imagine that the local chapter has very deep pockets.

Steel, what you're saying stacks up. As an alum, I attended a few OU Rush events. The things that I heard about that particular chapter were not positive. In fact, I recall browsing over one of their rush flyers that contained numerous inaccuracies and straight up lies concerning their GPA and other important stats.

Yeah i know what you mean about their rush flyer, i looked at it as well and knew much of it was a stretch of the truth if not a direct lie. but thats not too important now. And yes they have a very healthy alumni support both in depth of pockets and lobbying power on the Norman campus.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

how sad. thoughts and prayers to all involved.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

As a Sigma Chi from the University of Oklahoma. I have read the posts and must say there are numerous rumors and many false statements..

The first that I want to address is that the "the older members stood by and watched him die"

Blake got sick around 1:30 in the morning. And was throwing up in the shower.. coherient responding to people. No more drunk than 90% of the guys on this board get on any given night. And its unfortunate that we are de-sensitised to someone getting sick from alcohol. His big bro and the president helped him to a couch set him on his side after he was done throwing up. The big bros roomate then watched over him until 5 in the morning until he fell asleep. And blake never woke up..

Unfortunatly getting sick from alcohol is an all to common thing at the University of Oklahoma and is just taken as an every day thing wether the person is of age or under age..

One point of reference. Since Blake graduated highschool he has lost 70lbs (4 monthes) and police found epherdra in his pocket upon arriving but the toxology report was stopped after they found the alcohol level to be of a "fatal" level..

Its my belief that Blake new his limits as a 220lb football player but overstepped them as a 150 college freshman..

I can assure everyone on this board there was no physical forcing of any alcohol down this young mans throat..

This is indeed a very tragic death.. Sigma Chi housing corparation (which will be going bankrupt) paid to charter 4 busses to take all all the sigma chi, alumni, and pledges the 200 miles to his funeral yesterday.

His family is in all of our prayers..

As far as the brothers of the Beta Kappa chapter, they have until this coming Monday to find a new place to live and a chapter with over 90 years of history looks like it will be gone from the university of oklahoma, for at least 4 years.

If anyone has any questions about the facts I will be more than glad to answer them to the best of my ability

Max

Last edited by BetaKappaEX; 10-04-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiguy28 Send a message via Yahoo to SigmaChiguy28
Remember Max, theres always strong arms around you
Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree totally with what you're saying PsychTau...

HOWEVER

Anyone involved directly or indirectly (i.e. family members, members of the chapters) should NOT be discussing this publicly at this point in time. You should be making NO statements. Until everything is sorted out, the only people you should be making statements to is the police and attorneys. What you say can and will be held against you in a court of law- just as the Miranda rights say.

But it's perfectly fine, and healthy, for people removed from this situation (i.e. GCers) to discuss this for reasons PsychTau stated
Old 10-06-2004, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
And the brothers of Sigma Chi need to leave this thread ALONE. Any response from you is in poor taste -- there's no need, legally or morally, for you to defend yourselves here, and only opportunities to damage your legal case and your public relations. Sigma Chi is and has been a great org for a lot of great men for MANY years. Let that stand as your defense.
Thank you for your sound advice and kind words. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
I agree totally with what you're saying PsychTau...

HOWEVER

Anyone involved directly or indirectly (i.e. family members, members of the chapters) should NOT be discussing this publicly at this point in time. You should be making NO statements. Until everything is sorted out, the only people you should be making statements to is the police and attorneys. What you say can and will be held against you in a court of law- just as the Miranda rights say.

But it's perfectly fine, and healthy, for people removed from this situation (i.e. GCers) to discuss this for reasons PsychTau stated
Thank you as well.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:31 PM

As many of you can tell, this thread has been heavily edited.

Some of the deleted posts really had nothing wrong with them with the exception that they may have quoted or made direct reference to other posts that were considered to be out of line. To those posters, I apologize.

The reasons for a thread like this in Risk Management is to hopefully learn something from this kind of tragedy.

This forum and thread are NOT for making comments about any national organization -- particularly unfounded ones.

Chapters are a somewhat different story to this extent: If a chapter has displayed bad judgement in the past, it is useful to know what it has done, again for the purpose of learning from the situation so it won't be repeated. This is, of course, providing those miscues in the past are relavent. I think the ones left above are.

On a personal note, the men of Sigma Chi that I have had the pleasure of knowing in the past have, for the most part, been outstanding. They, and their fraternity, should be sad and discouraged about this situation, but it in no way should be considered as reflective of their entire organization.

Again, my condolences to our Brother Greeks.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 10-06-2004 at 03:33 PM.