GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,310
3 members and 1,307 guests
naraht, Shellfish

Old 07-14-2020, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Confederate statue removed from prominent spot at Ole Miss

Confederate statue removed from prominent spot at Ole Miss
https://apnews.com/d5824d7b24b9d7af5976da60741d4a28
By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS
an hour ago

"JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A Confederate monument that’s long been a divisive symbol at the University of Mississippi was removed Tuesday from a prominent spot on the Oxford campus, just two weeks after Mississippi surrendered the last state flag in the U.S. with the Confederate battle emblem.

The marble statue of a saluting Confederate soldier will be taken to a Civil War cemetery in a secluded area of campus. Students and faculty have pushed the university for years to move the statue, but they say their work is being undermined by administrators’ plan to beautify the cemetery.

A draft plan by the university indicates that the burial ground eventually will feature a lighted pathway to the statue and that headstones might be added to Confederate soldiers’ graves that have been unmarked for decades."

**CLICK LINK TO READ REST OF STORY**
Old 07-14-2020, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know anything about that cemetery, but why would they be spending money to beautify a confederate cemetery? Does it have particular interest or history? Maybe administrators think this is a compromise between their racist/white supremacist alumni and their current students? I think they're going to piss both groups off equally.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-14-2020, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It is a shame that the people that demanded the removal of this memorial had no idea why it was placed there. Or maybe they knew and didn't give a shit. That is certainly possible, too.

Delta Gammas, just watch... they are coming for your memorial next.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
It is a shame that the people that demanded the removal of this memorial had no idea why it was placed there. Or maybe they knew and didn't give a shit. That is certainly possible, too.
That memorial was placed there to glorify an effort to keep people enslaved and further intimidate and oppress descendants of those enslaved peoples. The people who demanded that it be removed did know, and did give a shit.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Wait, what? I've been reading into this memorial/monument/statue, and I don't understand why anyone would defend keeping it where it is. Why is moving it to a cemetery a problem when supposedly it was erected to honor the dead? Am I missing something?

Also, the debate over moving this statue did not just crop up in the last few weeks. This seems to simply be the straw that broke the camel's back.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 07-14-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Wait, what? I've been reading into this memorial/monument/statue, and I don't understand why anyone would defend keeping it where it is. Why is moving it to a cemetery a problem when supposedly it was erected to honor the dead? Am I missing something?

Also, the debate over moving this statue did not just crop up in the last few weeks. This seems to simply be the straw that broke the camel's back.
I am not sure what straw you are referring to. Yes, this has been a hotly debated issue for many years, not a new issue.

This memorial was put on campus in remembrance of the young men of Lafayette County and the University of Mississippi who died. It was paid for by their mothers, sisters, sorority women and University wives. The memorial was erected because the bodies of the sons and husbands were never returned for proper burial. Since the men fought in University regiments, they felt it proper to put the memorial on campus.

Last edited by thetalady; 07-14-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

They fought as traitors to the United States defending the institution of slavery. Why exactly do we honor them?
Old 07-15-2020, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

Personally... they can have it, I’m not going to fight them over it one bit. I can’t speak for my entire sisterhood, but I know many of my chapter sisters and member class sisters agree.

This specific “memorial” was discussed in our contextualization process and many of my sisters are deeply ashamed of that part of our history.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGnat View Post
That memorial was placed there to glorify an effort to keep people enslaved and further intimidate and oppress descendants of those enslaved peoples. The people who demanded that it be removed did know, and did give a shit.
I fail to note how honoring the dead intimidates and/or oppresses anyone, let alone descendants of slaves. The memorial didn't and doesn't enslave anyone.

You may believe the THOUGHTS these soldiers fought for are wrong, but THOUGHTS only enslave when they are thought to the exclusion of the memorial to the dead simply being a memorial to the dead and nothing else.

ETA: IDK who added the winking icon at the top of my original post, but am removing it. Twice.

Last edited by Cheerio; 07-17-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
They fought as traitors to the United States defending the institution of slavery. Why exactly do we honor them?
They fought for their beliefs just st Colonists did against to the Crown;

Now,

Leave Eskimo Pies alone along with Red Skins, Cleveland Indians a KC Chiefs the Hell alone.

PC Ness getting out of hand to all of the MORONS out there.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-17-2020, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Traitors don't get statutes. Especially when they lose. These men fought to defend the institution of slavery. They are not worthy of veneration.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
They fought for their beliefs just st Colonists did against to the Crown;
I don’t know about anyone else but I personally have never seen a monument dedicated to the red coats or King George III and those are the equivalent parties in this scenario...
Old 07-17-2020, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Oh please. Being dramatic and exaggerating will not make what it stands for behind it better.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAnchor View Post
I don’t know about anyone else but I personally have never seen a monument dedicated to the red coats or King George III and those are the equivalent parties in this scenario...
That's because there isn't. It's a shame that others make up statements to justify what is wrong with their views.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
That's because there isn't. It's a shame that others make up statements to justify what is wrong with their views.
There was one in Manhattan. Erected in 1770, pulled down July 9th, 1776. https://allthingsliberty.com/2014/09...of-george-iii/