GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,615
2 members and 2,613 guests
John
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Colonization at the University of Alabama?!?

I've heard through the grapevine that Delta Gamma will be colonizing at the University of Alabama in the next 2 years. Does anyone have any information about this? Confirmation? Anything?

Colonization at Alabama is supposed to be really hard because there isn't any room on Sorority Row to build another house which would make it hard for anyone to survive on this campus which is so steeped in tradition. Maybe they could take the SDT house which currently houses Beta Theta Pi while their house is being rebuilt.

Thoughts? Anyone?

And Sigma Kappa too!

honey, just cause i talk slow doesn't mean that i'm stupid

Last edited by notmanhattan; 03-02-2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: too add sigma kappa!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-02-2007, 08:23 PM

I hadn't heard that. I remember hearing that a couple of the currently active sororities (I think AOII and Theta) might have to move because their houses are impeding stadium expansion.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Again? They took the old Pi Phi house a few years ago for the stadium and had to agree to build us a really fantastic one. I haven't been to the campus since it happened but I hear it's gorgeous.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
...because their houses are impeding stadium expansion.
They better plan on winning a few more football games before they make the stadium larger!

Last edited by NutBrnHair; 03-02-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

LOLOL! War Eagle!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
LOLOL Go Vols!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Again? They took the old Pi Phi house a few years ago for the stadium and had to agree to build us a really fantastic one. I haven't been to the campus since it happened but I hear it's gorgeous.
Picture of Pi Phi house at Bama. Did the U really build it? B/C I hate to say this but it looks more like a campus building than a sorority house! (I think the AOII house at Bama is no great shakes. Rebuilding wouldn't be half bad, if the location was decent!)
Old 03-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

We used to have an alum of Alabama Beta on GC and she was there when it happened. She told me about all the incredible features the new house had--naturally, I can't remember a thing because it was about the time the twins were rushing, but I remember being stunned by what all she told me!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a good friend at Bama who is a Theta and she told me that they announced it at chapter that Sigma Kappa and Delta Gamma would be colonizing there within the next two years. They also said they would be building their houses on the new Fraternity Row.

I wonder if any of the other houses who have overgrown their homes would move from sorority row to the new fraternity to row? Would this be seen as an advantage or a disadvantage to the PNM's? Who's to say, I mean they're closer to the parties... ) and would the stigma of Old Row and New Row be just like it is for the fraternities were the new colonies to build houses on New Row?

honey, just cause i talk slow doesn't mean that i'm stupid
Old 03-03-2007, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Well I certainly hope that the rumor is true; I love to hear about DG expansion! But I know a DG legacy who is going through recruitment at Bama in the fall...I just wish they would have colonized a little sooner so she would have gotten a chance to pledge DG (although I know that she will have her pick of all the other equally fabulous houses at Bama!).
Old 03-03-2007, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard that rumor, too, from an active at LSU. However, no one I have asked has known anything about it... so who knows?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmanhattan View Post
I've heard through the grapevine that Delta Gamma will be colonizing at the University of Alabama in the next 2 years. Does anyone have any information about this? Confirmation? Anything? Colonization at Alabama is supposed to be really hard because there isn't any room on Sorority Row to build another house which would make it hard for anyone to survive on this campus which is so steeped in tradition. Maybe they could take the SDT house which currently houses Beta Theta Pi while their house is being rebuilt.
Thoughts? Anyone? And Sigma Kappa too!
Not to mention the generally vicious regard every UA sorority has for each other. This is NOT a Panhellenically-minded campus. They like to tear the smaller groups to shreds.
I would be VERY surprised if sorority houses were built on New Row. If would be a huge disadvantage for those groups. I CAN see them built in the parking lot behind Chi Omega/Pi Beta Phi/KD. It would be just like UA to eliminate yet another parking lot!!!

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 03-04-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I honestly haven't heard anything about Sigma Kappa colonizing there. Huh. I'll have to find out b/c usually, we'd have heard or read something by now. Still, it would be an exciting thing to happen.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
New Row, Old Row, etc....

Explain how this is laidout for me please people in the know:
http://tour.ua.edu/mapfull.html

Looking at that, it appears that Sigma Nu, Fiji, & Beta Theta Pi have an advantage of being (1) Right across from the Football stadium, and (2) Really close to all the sororities, who are like right next to the football stadium.

Then if you go across the campus, and up and right, you find a crapload of other fraternities.

Last edited by banditone; 03-04-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Old Fraternity row is University Blvd. And the rumor is that they are planning to tear down some of the old dorms in the New Hall area and the new sororities would go there, not New Frat Row. With Dr. Witt's plan to up enrollment, they'll need more groups.
Closed Thread