GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,296
2 members and 1,294 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Social Media Questions

I'm going to be a freshman starting recruitment this fall. At my school, nearly every student organization, including the Panhellenic Council, has a Facebook account. Early on, when I was first considering recruitment, I added the Panhel Council in order to find out a little more about my school's Greek life. However, now that I've started reading through GC forums, I see that it's recommended to hide your social media accounts during recruitment. Personally, I feel that I have nothing to hide on my account. I've never used drugs or alcohol, nor do I think I've presented any "questionable" behavior on my account. I'm worried that if they did decide to look at my page and I had unfriended them, they would think it was rude. If I feel comfortable being friends with my pastor and great-grandmother on Facebook, do I need to hide it from Panhel?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2013, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not so much hiding as making sure what you post shows you in a good light. Keep in mind though, even innocent comments and photos can be misinterpreted. You might know it was lemonade in the cup, or the inside joke behind a comment, but a total stranger isn't privy to that.
If you just "liked" the Panhellenic page, I wouldn't worry about unliking it. It can be a good way to get updates. But even if you do unlike it, I doubt anyone would notice.

Last edited by Missouri Ivy; 08-08-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

That's a good tip! I'll go through everything and remove whatever could be considered suspicious from the eyes of someone who doesn't know me. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I would just suggest making as much private as you possibly can on facebook, and protecting your twitter/instagram/etc. But use your favorite profile pictures.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Think of it like advertising. Keep the absolute best pictures of yourself and hide anything that is not advertising. What you had for breakfast? Not dangerous, but also not advertising.