GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Beta Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,544
2 members and 2,542 guests
fmanning

Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BlueMatrix5
Problems with sweethearts

Ok here's the situation. I am a member of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity Inc. otherwise known as a MABSTA lol At my school we have several females interested in becoming Sigma doves/shadows/souls/sweethearts whatever you want to call them. We used to have them here but due to problems with our lovely sorors (doves tended to get disrespectful cant have that...)we had to cut that short. Is there any way to have our doves without pissing off the sorors?

Fall 2k9 #5
Matrix, Adrenaline Rush
Beta Upsilon
Phi Beta Sigma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-10-2010, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMatrix5 View Post
Ok here's the situation. I am a member of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity Inc. otherwise known as a MABSTA lol At my school we have several females interested in becoming Sigma doves/shadows/souls/sweethearts whatever you want to call them. We used to have them here but due to problems with our lovely sorors (doves tended to get disrespectful cant have that...)we had to cut that short. Is there any way to have our doves without pissing off the sorors?
Phi Beta Sigma does not have any recognized little sister auxiliary organization.

Take that for how you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 12-12-2010, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

yes however our history shows that we used to have one. In fact we do have a sweetheart song. And I think many of the problems between undergrad and grad come from the idea that grad chapters just tell us things with no explanations when undergrad is intelligent enough to know how things used to be. If it was good enough for our oldhead frats why is it not for us? not trying to argue just putting forth a question.

Fall 2k9 #5
Matrix, Adrenaline Rush
Beta Upsilon
Phi Beta Sigma
Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
Phi Beta Sigma does not have any recognized little sister auxiliary organization.

Take that for how you will.
Not a Sigma but this is going to be your standard response. GreekChat definitely isn't a way to find out how to find a workaround.

But speaking on the larger topic of sweethearts, historically they had a purpose. I'm going to go out on a very short limb and say that grad was not the reason sweethearts began to not be recognized anymore. Take a look at what happened between your old heads' time and the present and you'll find your answers.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMatrix5 View Post
yes however our history shows that we used to have one. In fact we do have a sweetheart song. And I think many of the problems between undergrad and grad come from the idea that grad chapters just tell us things with no explanations when undergrad is intelligent enough to know how things used to be. If it was good enough for our oldhead frats why is it not for us? not trying to argue just putting forth a question.
This is going to be long but....

Piggybacking on what Animate said, that is the reason why I said Phi Beta Sigma does not have any recognized sweethearts, take that for what you will.

You are asking questions you will not get an answer for because there isn't an answer.

To answer your question you aren't the first nor only chapter to have issues against sweethearts and Zetas, and when I was in your situation I was given the same answer and I didn't understand until I got some years under me.

Hazing was used by old heads as well, but we are finding through numerous lawsuits it isn't good for the business of Sigma, but I digress.

So young brother let's put your intelligence to the test by breaking down your very first post.

Your chapter used to have them, but it caused too much drama for the chapter so they stopped.

Nationally Phi Beta Sigma used to have Sweethearts, but Nationally it was cut short because of drama.

Common denominator = Drama.

My chapter had Doves...what happened? Drama.

During my tenure in undergrad we did have a drama free Dove line. Other chapters tried to mimic our formula, what happened? Drama.

Starting to catch on?

The reality with sweethearts, no matter what you do with them, it eventually always leads to drama.

Add to the fact that sometimes these girls take it further than they should. (actually thinking they should be respected as Greeks.)

Now do I really look down on sweethearts? No

Reality is every Dove we had (From when I was UG frat to when we stopped doing Doves) ended up in a sorority. 5 ended up as Zetas (we didn't have an "official" Dove line, to everybody else these were just girls that were cool with the frat, but to the blue and white fam they were Doves, they actually got an inside look at how Fraternities and Sororities really (No secrets, no gripping) are and proper protocol as being a non-member) the rest AKA's and Deltas. Now the Doves made before me (see that I used to term made) was the most dramatic group of girls ever. They beefed with everybody, and when they were rejected by other sororities, they decided amongst themselves that hey, we don't need other letters, we have our own "letter".

So at the end of the day, since you are the one being approached, ask yourself the question. Why do these girls want to be Doves? Would they be happy just being down with the frat (still have the privileges of getting into parties, hanging around the family) without having a Sigma and Dove on their chest? Are these your typical high school Freshman that is trying to continue stepping without putting in the work and responsibility of actually having three letters on their chest? (You will have plenty of these type of girls approaching you.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Hm interesting thank you for that explanation. Truthfully the reason I asked in the first place was one there have been a lot of people asking and two because for quite some time (as its been told to me) we used to have Sigma doves on our campus and it was not a problem. However as I can't stand drama....they just gonna have to be cool doin what they do now which is hanging around and being cool with us. Thanks for the explanation bro.

Fall 2k9 #5
Matrix, Adrenaline Rush
Beta Upsilon
Phi Beta Sigma