GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,469
0 members and 1,469 guests
No Members online

Old 08-02-2000, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Which to choose?

I was wondering if you all could help me out with something. I am a member of a professional sorority. The problem is, I am discovering that I would really like to join a NPC sorority on my campus and am almost positive I would get in, but my professional sorority won't allow me to join a social. What should I do? I'm currently very involved with my professional (VP and a commitee chair) and love it to death, but....I really want to join a "real" sorority. Also, I'm a senior and afraid that, even though I'm really close with a lot of the NPC sorority's girls, it would inhibit me getting in. Any ideas?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-02-2000, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Wow, I've never heard of a Professional GLO that wouldn't let you join a social!

I think you should examine why you really want to be in the social sorority, because it would seem to me that once you're out of school, your activity in either would be about the same. Am I right?

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 08-02-2000, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in a professional/social sorority and although we are not in NPC, you cannot join another sorority once you are a member of ours. Why do you want to join the NPC sorority? Since you are heavily involved with your prof. sorority why not suggest to do more 'social' things or things that you see the NPC sororities doing. I bet when you really look at it, your sorority isn't much different from the NPC sorority, if anything yours offers you more with the professional aspect.

I really take offense to people saying that profesional sororities are not "real" sororities. How so? Same sisterhood, leadership, structure, events, membership requirements, etc. as a NPC sorority but without the games and with direction based on your major that will help you with your career.
Old 08-03-2000, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

as a senior, if you are really close with lots of the girls from the NPC org. already... then why go through the rush process and pay the $$ to join for a few months? just curious...
Old 08-03-2000, 09:48 AM

Question

What professional organization are you in? I’ve never heard of one that wouldn’t allow members to join NPC or IFC Greeks. I was in Alpha Phi Omega, and after I graduated I guess there were some members who gave other members a hard time if they wanted to join a “social” org, however that isn’t the same as not being allowed. That doesn’t sound right to me at all.

As far as being a senior, if it is something you really want, go for it! My little pledged as a senior and she probably got more out of the sorority than some of the girls who were in since they were freshmen. I know on some campuses it is unheard of but at some schools (like mine) we had a good many juniors pledge and usually one or 2 seniors every semester.
Old 08-03-2000, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
What professional organization are you in? ... however that isn’t the same as not being allowed. That doesn’t sound right to me at all.
33Girl,

Like AOE, Sigma Alpha also disallows membership in both our sorority and a general sorority. We were founded as an alternative to the general sororities, incorporating the social aspect into our professional organization. We have reasons for this single membership, and it is legal for us to have this requirement... if that is what you are implying.

Though it is not as common with sororities, think of fraternities like Triangle, Alpha Gamma Rho, etc. for examples of organizations that are both professional and social.

Dewgirl, if you happen to be a Sigma Alpha and want to discuss this more offline, please feel free to e-mail me directly! (FultonB117@aol.com)
Old 08-03-2000, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Dewgirl,

I'm also a member of a social-professional sorority (Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies). Feel free to email me, if you'd like to discuss this situation. My email address is in my profile.

Corbin, 33girl: to clarify, there are several GLOs that consider themselves social as well as professional. Some of them are affiliated with PFA (as are AOE and Sigma Alpha, sctroy and BFulton's sororities). There aren't any NPC sororities, or any NPHC organizations like this. Triangle Fraternity, an NIC group, is. My sorority (and others like ours) place an equal amount of importance on our social and professional natures. There are some greek-lettered organizations that are purely professionally oriented, almost honorary in nature. Examples: Beta Beta Beta, I believe, is a biology GLO. So to be active in BBB and XYZ fraternity/sorority would not be a conflict of interest...however to be a member of A.S.K./AOE/Sigma Alpha/other social-professional GLOs as well as an NIC/NPC/NPHC/CNHL GLO would be.

Confused yet?

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies

[This message has been edited by equeen (edited August 03, 2000).]
Old 08-03-2000, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the replies! Here's a little clarification....

My story is, when I pledged my professional GLO 3 years ago, I was a music major (this is a music org), and I chose it becuase (at that time) it was a fun group of people that shared my interests, and WAY cheaper than a social sorority. But then things started to change. In the last few years, I have changed my major and have little interest in music anymore, we as a chapter have gotten in big trouble because we have too many social activities and are not "professional" enough, and have been forced to go co-ed. I ran for social chair (and won) to try to get us doing some fun stuff, turned in a list of almost 50 social ideas (they have to be approved) and only 3 were approved as "acceptable for maintaining a professional mindset." AARGH! It's so frustrating! It would be different if I were still interested in music, but I'm not

But to quit my office and chair and join a social sorority would be a lot to give up. Most of our members are very "anti-sorority" (which is funny because they're in one) and would probably hate me if I "defected". I really don't know what to do!
Old 08-03-2000, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Dewgirl,

Just curious which music org. your belong to because I know several ZTAs that also belong to SAI and there is no conflict.

Barb
Old 08-03-2000, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I prefer not to say what org I'm in because I don't want to be bitching about them But no, I'm not an SAI. By the way, to clarify, I think the social/professional thing is just in our chapter's bylaws...I don't think it's a national thing. But frosty the snowman would be eating a popsicle in hell before the exec board would approve of me joining a social!