GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 705
0 members and 705 guests
No Members online

Old 05-28-2020, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Re-Rushing as a Sophomore

Hi!,
I go to a Midwestern small sorority school and I am debating rushing again as a sophomore. I went through formal recruitment and was dropped from all but one sorority. I truly felt a connection to that sorority but they only took 6 girls and sadly I didn't make the cut. I truly thought that I had a bad rush because I was shy, which I think made me seem stand offish. Since recruitment I have been working hard at getting good grades (3.8 GPA ) and getting comfortable with the campus. I have gone to every open event that each sorority has held and have made many friends inside the sorority. This summer I have been working to loose weight ( to be more confident), volunteering and taking conversational/ interview skill courses online. I would very much appreciate any advise anyone has because joining a sorority has been something I have wanted to do every since I was a little kid.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Go for it.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Scar—first of all—CONGRATULATIONS on your self-improvement, something we ALL need to engage in now and then! Look what you’ve accomplished: you’re more self-confident, you’ve achieved Dean’s List status academically, you look and feel better physically and emotionally, and you have worked to become involved on your campus and have made many new friends.
YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOURSELF!

As a 25+year advisor to my fraternity, I am deeply grateful for all I’ve learned and gained from Greek membership. But being Greek does not guarantee instant gratification; it requires dedication and sacrifice, two qualities you seem to have in surplus! Ha! But it can bring with it joy, a sense of belonging and a lifetime of friendships and cherished memories.

As FSUZeta said: “Go for it.” I’m betting your confidence and hard work will shine through.
BEST of luck to you!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much to PGD-GRAD and FSUZeta, none of my family is in Greek life so I wanted to get an outside opinion on what I could improve
Old 05-28-2020, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

YouTube has some good videos on Recruitment: conversation skills, tips, wardrobe, etc. Craft a good Recruitment resume and search for alumnae who can write recommendation letters (through friends, parents’ friends/coworkers, or a hometown Alumnae Panhellenic Assn.), even if the campus says they aren’t required. Since you’re doing a “take two”, a recommendation might help a sorority that didn’t invite you back an opportunity to find out more about you — beyond The Panhellenic application.

P.S. MANY women join sororities in their sophomore year. I did and got my first choice ... after an abysmal 1st year rush where I go NO invites back after 3rd round!
Old 05-28-2020, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the advice ChioLu, I do not know if my school allows letters of recommendation but I will email my schools Greek Office.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
Thank you for the advice ChioLu, I do not know if my school allows letters of recommendation but I will email my schools Greek Office.

Scar, Letters of Recommendation (recs) are not something a college allows or not allows. These letters are written by sorority alumnae to their chapter at your school, providing a positive recommendation to them about you. Your Greek Life office most likely will tell you they are not required to go through Recruitment, and they are not. BUT......... They can help you, as a woman going through Recruitment a second time, get another look at groups that cut you last year. And, some individual organisations require them before you can be issued a Bid.

Read threads on here about these letters of recommendation- you will see how important they CAN be.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
Hi!,
I go to a Midwestern small sorority school and I am debating rushing again as a sophomore. I went through formal recruitment and was dropped from all but one sorority. I truly felt a connection to that sorority but they only took 6 girls and sadly I didn't make the cut. I truly thought that I had a bad rush because I was shy, which I think made me seem stand offish. Since recruitment I have been working hard at getting good grades (3.8 GPA ) and getting comfortable with the campus. I have gone to every open event that each sorority has held and have made many friends inside the sorority. This summer I have been working to loose weight ( to be more confident), volunteering and taking conversational/ interview skill courses online. I would very much appreciate any advise anyone has because joining a sorority has been something I have wanted to do every since I was a little kid.

It sounds like you have been making good choices with your confidence, grades, your health, and your activities.

I agree with ChioLu that YouTube has many good videos on sorority recruitment recommendations. Good luck to you and please stay in touch.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this for a NPHC group? If so, the guidelines are far different from an NPC group.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Is this for a NPHC group? If so, the guidelines are far different from an NPC group.
Since she went through Recruitment last year and was dropped by all but one group, it made sense that this was either NPC, or a mix of NPC and locals in a CPC. Her account didn't seem to mesh for an NPHC group.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

How does one get recommendation letters if they do not know anyone personally in a sorority? I went through CPC/NPC Recruitment process at a relatively small Greek Life school. I forgot to add that I also went through Informal for one sorority, but again did not get a bid. I do not think it was personal because the two girls that they did take were both related to someone in that sorority . I also forgot to add that during the fall school year I was only in one club, but I was very involved with that club . Thank you everyone who has helped me on this journey, I really want to rush in the fall and I want to make sure that I optimize every opportunity to improve.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I forgot to add that when I was notified that they did not have a bid to offer me the recruitment chair told me about fall recruitment as well as the reason that I know that those two girls are related to active members is because I got to know them during the rush ( we are still friends today).Theses reasons are why I do not believe the decision was personal but I did write down what I felt went badly and worked to improve them.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

While you may not be aware of it, you may know women in sororities. Ask the ladies in your parents neighborhood, your former teachers, women a year or 2 above you from your HS, the parents of your friends, the friends of your parents, your relatives (who can also ask their friends, neighbors, etc). Think 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta is correct. The sorority women do not have to have attended your college. And since all teachers went to college, I bet you'll find some sorority women in that group. When you find one who can help, ask if they know anyone in the other groups on your campus. I went to Alabama and we have 17 chapters on that campus now. And I know someone in every one of them - and most didn't attend Alabama. Network like heck!
Old 05-29-2020, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are on Facebook, post that you’re looking for recommendations for sorority recruitment and LIST which sororities you need recs. Ask if anyone knows Alumnae for those groups: friends, parents, relatives, coworkers, church members, teachers, etc. Follow up on any responses and ask any alumna writing you a Rec if she knows anyone in the other sororities that are on your campus. If you get responses but those women are not in the groups you seek, they probably know women from other sororities. Ask them! Remember, sorority Alumnae want all PNMs to have a successful recruitment. Even if you don’t join their Alpha Alpha Alpha sorority, but helped you find a Rec for Eta Bama Pi and you joined that group, the Tri-Alpha will feel like she helped you find your home! (At Tulsa University, the Bama Pie company/bakery is a few blocks from campus. Their single serve pecan pies are delicious!)

My cousin’s daughter went thru last Fall at Oklahoma State. At the beginning of the summer, she only had recs to just over 1/2 the groups. Through Panhellenic contacts/networking, I was able to help her get recs for all but 1 house. She joined her #1 choice.

Even if an alumna doesn’t know you personally, she could write an informational rec, based on your resume. It’s nice if you can meet or have a phone call with someone who writes you an info rec and that helps her fill out the form more completely.

And, don’t be stingy on your Recruitment resume, like only listing the biggest accomplishments. If you were in any activity for several years — sport, music, club, charity, whatever — but didn’t have a leadership role (because you were involved in many other activities), list that experience too. Sororities love multitaskers! For a good Recruitment resume sample, check the Houston Alumnae Panhellenic Assn. At the end of the resume, list at least 3 Fun Facts about yourself that are not related to your resume. Such as ... a connection to a celebrity (a shared birthday or a chance meeting), a non-school award/achievement (an award at summer camp or winning a Halloween costume contest) or something random (sold the most Girl Scout cookies city-wide when you were in the 5th grade or you & your friends have watch parties for a certain TV show, like The Bachelor/Bachelorette). These fun facts can help match you to members with similar interests/backgrounds and help with smooth and memorable conversations. Also list any scholarships.

Treat recs like a work reference. Say, you want to work for a great company and they have an opening. Good news! You know someone who works for that company! That person could go to HR and say “Scar would be an asset to our company. She’s smart, a leader and volunteers in the community.” Would you want a referral like that??? (Note: the answer is always YES!)

Last edited by ChioLu; 05-29-2020 at 07:50 PM.