GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,772
2 members and 1,770 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 06-21-2018, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Rushing at a small(ish) school!

I attend a small school (about 5600) in a fairly small/average town. My school only has four sororities, and they're all great. I'd be so excited to get a bid from any of them, but from the reading and research I've been doing about Gamma Phi Beta, it seems to be a perfect fit for me. I especially love the philanthropy. Throughout high school, I always said I would never join a sorority because I felt like I would never fit in, but I have social anxiety and have trouble reaching out and making friends. I feel like a sorority would be perfect for helping me to really connect with people while doing what I love (serving my community)! I've only just learned about Greek life, and generally I have no clue what to expect. I al TERRIFIED of rush week because I have no idea what to do, especially because my school is so small. I don't know what I should expect going into everything, I don't know what I should wear, and I'm not really sure what a sorority (especially Gamma Phi Beta) is looking for in a girl or how I'm supposed to present myself. Because my school is so small, should I send in a recommendation letter or resume? Has anyone had any experience with this? I don't want to call, email, or get in touch with anyone unless I can't get any information here. Also, what's the deal with social media during rush? Do I have to totally deactivate my account, am I just not allowed to use it, or will I only have to log out/delete the app? If anyone can help me with this information, it would be great because I REALLY want to receive a bid (hopefully for Gamma Phi Beta) and leave a lasting impression! Thank you if you can help me out and if you took the time to read this!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitiouschick View Post
I attend a small school (about 5600) in a fairly small/average town. My school only has four sororities, and they're all great. I'd be so excited to get a bid from any of them, but from the reading and research I've been doing about Gamma Phi Beta, it seems to be a perfect fit for me. I especially love the philanthropy. Throughout high school, I always said I would never join a sorority because I felt like I would never fit in, but I have social anxiety and have trouble reaching out and making friends. I feel like a sorority would be perfect for helping me to really connect with people while doing what I love (serving my community)! I've only just learned about Greek life, and generally I have no clue what to expect. I al TERRIFIED of rush week because I have no idea what to do, especially because my school is so small. I don't know what I should expect going into everything, I don't know what I should wear, and I'm not really sure what a sorority (especially Gamma Phi Beta) is looking for in a girl or how I'm supposed to present myself. Because my school is so small, should I send in a recommendation letter or resume? Has anyone had any experience with this? I don't want to call, email, or get in touch with anyone unless I can't get any information here. Also, what's the deal with social media during rush? Do I have to totally deactivate my account, am I just not allowed to use it, or will I only have to log out/delete the app? If anyone can help me with this information, it would be great because I REALLY want to receive a bid (hopefully for Gamma Phi Beta) and leave a lasting impression! Thank you if you can help me out and if you took the time to read this!
First piece of advice: don't set your heart on one sorority prior to recruitment. Researching Gamma Phi Beta is one thing. Actually meeting, getting to know, and connecting with the sisters is another.

@~/~~~~
Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Agree with the earlier poster about not "picking" a sorority before you even meet the members. That's like choosing a husband based on a resume and picture or a company where you want to work before interviewing and knowing the people, company culture, etc.

Gamma Phi MAY be a fit for you, but without knowing any members, you just don't know. When I rushed I thought I knew which house I wanted, but was surprised (and delighted) when another house captured my heart. Yes, it was a house I'd heard a lot about (with things that appealed to me) but my aunt, who is a sorority member, encouraged me to be open. I was also drawn to her sorority - thought it would be so neat to be sisters, but didn't fall in love with them.

And getting fixated on one house is a surefire way to have a poor rush because the members of other houses will pick up on your lack of interest.

Last edited by NYCMS; 06-21-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Yep, yep, yep. Forget about GPhi in terms of best fit, etc.
You may not click with any of them and you won’t know until you’re there. Plus, don’t put that pressure on yourself! Go in completely open to all and you’ll have a much better chance of being happy where you end up.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL....same here. When I went to rush, I had researched the sororities beforehand. I really liked this one sorority over the others due to their philanthropy and values, plus I played sports with a couple of the members. That sorority was a terrible fit! Thankfully, I was mature enough to pick up on it right away and was able to re-focus on my other options.

Like everyone always says, go into it with an open mind!

True and Constant
Old 06-21-2018, 02:06 PM

All I can say is, if I had joined a sorority on the basis of philanthropy, my group would have probably been the LAST place I would have joined. That isn’t how NPC rush works. Especially at small schools in small towns where philanthropic opportunities to do a certain thing can be somewhat limited.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Besides picking a specific sorority, I really think all of the sororities at my school are wonderful and I would be glad to get into any of them! My real question, I guess is because I’m totally clueless about Rush, I have no idea what to do! My school is so small with only 4 sororities and I really want to make a good impression. I don’t know what to wear, I don’t know if I should send any letters of recommendation or a resume, I don’t know how I should present myself or what sororities typically look for in a girl. If anyone could help out with any of that I’d appreciate it!
Old 06-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Doesn't your school's Panhellenic send out a recruitment booklet or publish one online with what to wear, etc.?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitiouschick View Post
Throughout high school, I always said I would never join a sorority because I felt like I would never fit in, but I have social anxiety and have trouble reaching out and making friends. I feel like a sorority would be perfect for helping me to really connect with people while doing what I love (serving my community)! I've only just learned about Greek life, and generally I have no clue what to expect. I al TERRIFIED of rush week because I have no idea what to do, especially because my school is so small. I don't know what I should expect going into everything, I don't know what I should wear, and I'm not really sure what a sorority (especially Gamma Phi Beta) is looking for in a girl or how I'm supposed to present myself.

It's perfectly normal to be nervous. You want to make a good impression; but, how do you prepare if you aren't sure what to expect, right? Look, sorority women are women just like you. They, too, went through rush are were also nervous. They understand that you're probably nervous - they want to get to know you and make you feel welcome.

You posted in the Gamma Phi Beta section of the board; but, I strongly urge you to read up on the many great and very helpful threads in the "Sorority Recruitment" section of the board.

You can find it here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/fo...play.php?f=217

Please spend some time reading through threads like:

-- The importance of conversation/personality during recruitment

-- PNM advice: the importance of personal connections in recruitment

-- Rush - What to NOT do or say

-- General Advice

Those topics are "pinned" to the top of the section. Definitely read through them and any of the other great threads in that section!

Quote:
I don't know what I should wear
Like another poster, carnation, said, check to see if the Panhellenic Council, at your school puts out a recruitment guide. They are often found online and you might be able to browse last year's guide if it's on the Greek Life website.

Here's an example of what I mean: https://issuu.com/alexstepahin/docs/...ty_recruitment -- scroll down to see recruitment guides from schools across the nation! Most all will include a "what to wear" section in them. Keep in mind that your school may be more or less formal or may have you wear t-shirts provided to you, etc. That's why we suggest you search for your school's recruitment guide. If you get stuck on an item of clothing or are not sure if you're picking the right shoes to go with a dress, post and ask us! The women here are happy to help offer specific style advice.

Quote:
I'm not really sure what a sorority (especially Gamma Phi Beta) is looking for in a girl or how I'm supposed to present myself.
Truthfully, sorority members can't tell you the specifics of exactly what we are looking for because our membership selection procedures are secret. However, most all sororities, my Gamma Phi Beta included, are looking for well-rounded young women with positive personalities, strong academics, desire to serve others, well-groomed, well-spoken, etc, etc. Where I think a lot of rushees get stuck is they wonder what "Alpha Alpha" or "Beta Beta Beta" sororities specifically want. We don't know and it's a futile effort to try and figure it out so that you can "be that" during rush.

Don't try to be someone you're not. Just be yourself and let the chips fall where they may. What if "Beta Beta Beta" at your school is a bunch of party girls and you don't fit in? What if "Alpha Alpha" is all athletes and you're the kind of person who would trip over your own feet? Forcing yourself to act like someone you're not in order to impress them just doesn't work out well. Be yourself!

Others on Greekchat have given this great advice in the past - be the kind of person someone else would want to be friends with. It's really that simple.

Quote:
Because my school is so small, should I send in a recommendation letter or resume? Has anyone had any experience with this? I don't want to call, email, or get in touch with anyone unless I can't get any information here.
We don't know where you attend school and so it's tough to say if recs are super important or not. Usually with smaller schools they aren't that important; but, you never know. To be clear, a recommendation is when a sorority active or alumna member write a letter of support on your behalf. The member will mail it in. You do not send in your own resume or rec directly to the chapter at the school at which you are rushing.

Basic advice for where to find sorority women who will write you a recommendation is found here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=243958

Quote:
Also, what's the deal with social media during rush? Do I have to totally deactivate my account, am I just not allowed to use it, or will I only have to log out/delete the app?
The cautions behind social media during rush are recommendations to not post unflattering or controversial things. You wouldn't want sorority women to check out your Facebook/Insta/etc to get to know you only to see pictures of you streaking across campus, drunk at a party, or blathering on argumentatively about every controversial topic in the book. This doesn't mean that you can't use social media or that you need to deactivate your accounts, just don't post unflattering things and maybe even go back through your feed and delete anything you wouldn't want others to see. In fact, social media can be a great tool for posting positive representations of all of your best qualities (you like to travel, you like to volunteer, you love your friends and family, etc).

(Note: instead of not posting pictures of you getting drunk or running naked on campus, how 'bout you just not do those things? LOL)

One final word of advice, if you are not good in social situations, now is a good time to start practicing small talk and conversations with strangers. Try striking up a conversation with a customer at work, chat with the person behind you in line at the grocery store, smile warmly at the lady in the bank, and so on.

I hope this helps!

True and Constant
Old 06-21-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Doesn't your school's Panhellenic send out a recruitment booklet or publish one online with what to wear, etc.?
Small schools often barely have info on the website, let alone a rush booklet.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Small schools often barely have info on the website, let alone a rush booklet.
Even if a campus didn't have a guide available, a smart rushee would go to the Panhellenic and individual chapter Facebook pages to browse the photos and get a feel for the kinds of outfits women on that campus typically wear to events.

True and Constant
Old 06-21-2018, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Just because it is a small school, do not be fooled. Recruitment will still be competitive and require you to be on your A game. Look at individual chapters' social media, especially last year's recruitment photos. See if you can find the hashtag for your school's recruitment on instagram and see what PNMs are wearing. You don't have to dress exactly like them, just choose outfits that you're comfortable in that don't make you stand out in a bad way. Choose comfortable shoes, recruitment is a lot of walking and standing. Find a piece or two of jewelry that could be a conversation starter AND that polishes off your outfit.

What things are a big deal culturally on your campus, such as a campus wide philanthropy event or a particular sports team, etc. This will help you carry on conversation too. Practice conversation as much as you can in the next two months, make small talk. Put down your phone and develop your social skills. Smile. Just smiling when someone talks to you is huge. Make them feel like what he or she has to say is important. Also, relax and enjoy the process. It's a fun way to make new friends on a new campus.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Just thought I'd update everyone! I went through recruitment this past week. I got and accepted a bid from Gamma Phi Beta! So excited to start getting to know my sisters!Thank you all for all your help and input!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you wishing you all the best! Thanks for coming back to update us.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations to you and to Gamma Phi Beta!