GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,529
2 members and 2,527 guests
fmanning

Old 09-25-2002, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Sororities for adults

Not that we aren't adults here in the NPC, but I don't know what else to call orgs like Tri-Kappa and Beta Sigma Phi.

How many sororities are there for adult women, and where are they prevalent?

Beta Sigma Phi seems to be the biggest and nationwide. Tri-Kappa is Indiana-only. I can't remember the names of any more ... but I know they are more. Are they most prevalent in one part of the country? Because out here (West Coast) I've never heard of any except Beta Sigma Phi.

Is there any website that provides a comprehensive list of these orgs? Do they have an umbrella org? Does membership in one conflict with membership in an NPC/NPHC/NALFO org?

I realize these are a lot of questions ... if anyone can direct me to more info I'd appreciate it! (I'm not looking for membership myself, if anyone is wondering.)
Old 09-25-2002, 04:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Um, I don't think I could join an org. that was known as TriKappa (KKK)???
Old 09-25-2002, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a reason they go by Tri-Kappa rather than KKK ...

Here's what I've found out thus far:

Beta Sigma Phi is the biggest and most nationally well-known of the sororities for adult women. It was founded by a man in 1931 and has chapters in every US state and Canadian province plus some overseas. It is non-secret. It is notable for having "levels" of membership one works up to.

Tri-Kappa (Kappa Kappa Kappa) is found only within the state of Indiana. It was founded in 1901 as a high school sorority but is now for adults. It has 148 active chapters. Don't call it KKK for short.

Epsilon Sigma Alpha was founded in 1929 and has about 1000 chapters today, including some on college campuses. Membership appears to be open (ie, not by invitation) to all women, and the organization seems to be all over the U.S.

Psi Iota Xi was also founded in Indiana - by a groups of schoolteachers and their students in 1897. Today it has approximately 150 chapters in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Illinois and Tennessee.

Phi Beta Psi was founded in Ohio in 1904. It currently has 2,082 members in chapters in 14 states. Alpha Phi members will REALLY want to check out their site at www.phibetapsi.org.

Last edited by FuzzieAlum; 09-25-2002 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
Phi Beta Psi was founded in Ohio in 1904. It currently has 2,082 members in chapters in 14 states. Alpha Phi members will REALLY want to check out their site at www.phibetapsi.org.
Is this for real??? Those are Alpha Phis pictured on their website -- and I've only looked at the first page -- I know three of those women. Not to mention that it's practically a total copy of www.alphaphi.org -- what's going on with this?
Old 09-25-2002, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Alpha Phi members will REALLY want to check out their site at www.phibetapsi.org.
OMG!! Is it live, or is it Memorex??!
Old 09-25-2002, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

PBP is a real organization, I know, because I've found references to it elsewhere, so it's not a hoax on A Phi. If they were so ignorant of copyright to think they could blatantly copy it, however, wouldn't they at least use their own photos?
Old 09-25-2002, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Just playing Devil's advocate, but maybe they have the same web designer, who just made some mistake?

I've always heard BSPhi referred to as a "non-Panhellenic" or "non-collegiate" sorority, which might be a little elitist on our part.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

There are chapters of Tri-Kappa and Psi Iota Xi in my town. I got a scholarship from Psi-otes my senior year of HS.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Alpha Phi members will REALLY want to check out their site at www.phibetapsi.org.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've always heard BSPhi referred to as a "non-Panhellenic" or "non-collegiate" sorority, which might be a little elitist on our part.
On their home page, they descibe themselves as, "Beta Sigma Phi International is a non-academic sorority with 200,000 members in chapters around the world." So I don't think it's a label we stuck onto them. It's "non-collegiate," I think, because when the average person thinks of a sorority, they think of college, not adult women, so they need to distinguish themselves. BSP does not care if a members went to college or not, and most members are not currently college women (there are exceptions). "Non-Panhellenic" is a little less useful, because that also describes the sororities of the NPHC, the MCGLOs, and the locals ... which are all "collegiate."

But if I any member of BSP tells me that they don't like "non-collegiate" or "non-academic," I'll drop the term like a hot potato.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

There is a Thread known as LLL on this thread! Do That Sound Familiar?

Revenge Of the Nerds?

I cannot call the Tri Sigs, Tri sigs any more as there is a lesbian Soroity by that name so they are now Tri Sigmas!

!!!!! Damn, What do I an Oldster call Ya All?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-25-2002, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Order of the Eastern Star. Order of the Eastern Temple, or Ordo Templi Orientis, is co-ed.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:30 PM

Re: Sororities for adults

Quote:
Not that we aren't adults here in the NPC, but I don't know what else to call orgs like Tri-Kappa and Beta Sigma Phi.

I think the word you are looking for is "Non-Collegiate Women"?

How many sororities are there for adult women, and where are they prevalent?

Fuzzie,
There is Tri Psi, which is a sorority for any mother of a Tri Delta .
http://www.tridelta.org/parents/tripsi.htm
Old 09-25-2002, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info, guys. To clarify: I'm only looking at groups that describe themselves as sororities and are not affiliated with any other group. This means no groups where you have to be related to a member of any other organization, whether by blood or by marriage, or any fraternal organization that is not a sorority. I'm also not looking at groups that aren't general, such as sororities for teachers, military women, etc.

Last edited by FuzzieAlum; 09-25-2002 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

OTO then unless you want just women. Sexist!