GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,235
3 members and 1,232 guests
g41965

Old 10-07-2020, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

John James Positioned to be First ΑΦΑ in U.S. Senate

Republican John James (a millennial BIPOC combat veteran) remains in a tight race against Democrat incumbent Gary Peters (a baby boomer multimillionaire white male) for U.S. Senator from Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDIV-TV
Michigan U.S. Senator Gary Peters has increased his lead over Republican challenger John James, but the race remains tight, according to a new WDIV/Detroit News poll. Gary Peters now leads John James by 5.4%. In early September, Peters led the race by 3.1% within the margin of error. About 13% of voters remain undecided in this race.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...remains-tight/
James attended West Point so must have been initiated into Alpha Phi Alpha as an alumni member, which - I believe - they permit? If elected, he would be the first member of Alpha Phi Alpha to serve in the U.S. Senate.

Last edited by Ronaldo9; 10-07-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 View Post
James attended West Point so must have been initiated into Alpha Phi Alpha as an alumni member, which - I believe - they permit? If elected, he would be the first member of Alpha Phi Alpha to serve in the U.S. Senate.
NPHC organizations initiate both undergraduates and at the alumni/alumnae level. That’s commonplace for us.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
NPHC organizations initiate both undergraduates and at the alumni/alumnae level. That’s commonplace for us.
Thanks for the clarification, PersistentDST!
Old 10-07-2020, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

While Gary Peters continues to make this race all about the extension of his 27 year career as a politician, John James seems to be living the Alpha Phi Alpha motto Servants of All, prioritizing his fraternal values above his personal aggrandizement by donating campaign funds to meet urgent needs in the community even if it means a few less yard signs or TV ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit News
The James campaign announced Thursday that it has donated $1 million to communities from Detroit and Benton Harbor to Marquette.

The campaign during the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic gave a quarter of a million dollars to coronavirus relief efforts for medical equipment and supplies.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ns/5877489002/
Old 10-07-2020, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

That’s neat.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Senator Edward Brooke was the first Alpha elected to the Senate in 1966.

Senator Roland Burris was the second in 2009.

John James was initiated into the Lansing alumni chapter in 2010. He is a current member of the Detroit alumni chapter.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Senator Edward Brooke was the first Alpha elected to the Senate in 1966.

Senator Roland Burris was the second in 2009.

John James was initiated into the Lansing alumni chapter in 2010. He is a current member of the Detroit alumni chapter.
Thanks for the correction!
Old 10-09-2020, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Please let me know where you got the information that James is an Alpha Phi Alpha brother...
Old 10-09-2020, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Please let me know where you got the information that James is an Alpha Phi Alpha brother...
He's listed as a table sponsor on the 2019 Alpha Phi Alpha centennial gala program (https://issuu.com/detroitalphas/docs...souvenir_journ) and the Michigan Chronicle, in its "40 Under 40" issue, reports that he's "an active member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity" (https://michiganchronicle.com/2014/1...Id=0&videoId=0).
Old 10-09-2020, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 View Post
He's listed as a table sponsor on the 2019 Alpha Phi Alpha centennial gala program (https://issuu.com/detroitalphas/docs...souvenir_journ) and the Michigan Chronicle, in its "40 Under 40" issue, reports that he's "an active member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity" (https://michiganchronicle.com/2014/1...Id=0&videoId=0).
The first, I had found, but didn't consider enough of a reference. I'll take a look at the second.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
The first, I had found, but didn't consider enough of a reference. I'll take a look at the second.
OK.

Here's a third one you can check ... this 2012 video purports to show seven people singing the "Alpha Phi Alpha Hymn at the Wedding of Bro. John James." Of course, John James is a common name, but we do know he married his wife Elizabeth in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xPa8BACDOM

At this point, while none of these three items on their own is definitive, the combination of the three leads me to safely believe either John James is a brother of Alpha Phi Alpha or he has gone to extraordinary lengths to create a trail of false evidence to misrepresent himself as one. I'm more inclined to believe the former.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to tell you, John James definitely hasn't skimped on signs, or TV and snail mail advertising.

Sorry to his brothers, but I definitely did not vote for him. His positions are diametrically opposed to mine. He and Peters are BOTH multi-millionaires, but Peters is a Democrat and James is a far-right conservative.

The Detroit News is the "Fox News" of the two Detroit papers; the Detroit Free Press is more liberal.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I have to tell you, John James definitely hasn't skimped on signs, or TV and snail mail advertising.

Sorry to his brothers, but I definitely did not vote for him. His positions are diametrically opposed to mine. He and Peters are BOTH multi-millionaires, but Peters is a Democrat and James is a far-right conservative.

The Detroit News is the "Fox News" of the two Detroit papers; the Detroit Free Press is more liberal.
I don't think you need to apologize. You have every right to vote for whomever you want.

If I were in Michigan, which I'm not, I would probably vote for James because I believe in elevating Black voices and don't believe I'd serve the beauty of diversity by spending my vote on entrenching yet another wealthy white male.

However, I would never question the decision of those who believe otherwise.
The freedom of choice is part of the beauty of democracy!
Old 10-11-2020, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post

Amen! And he backs the racist president whole heartedly which is baffling to me.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Amen! And he backs the racist president whole heartedly which is baffling to me.
Woodrow Wilson?