GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 304,739
Threads: 114,436
Posts: 2,154,538
Welcome to our newest member, 51meesto
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by npccuriosity View Post
They have huge chapter and pledge class sizes! Sounds like they need more than Sigma Kappa to colonize. What happened to Delta Phi Epsilon, didn't they present a few years ago?
Yes, they did. PH did not extend them an offer.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-21-2017, 10:11 PM
IndianaSigKap's Avatar
IndianaSigKap IndianaSigKap is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sweet Home Indiana
Posts: 1,975
Who is missing at Alabama? Is the list below it?

Sigma Kappa
Alpha Xi Delta
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Phi Sigma Sigma
Delta Phi Epsilon
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Sigma Tau
__________________
Sigma Kappa
One Heart One Way since 1874
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-21-2017, 10:57 PM
irishpipes's Avatar
irishpipes irishpipes is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Reddest of the red
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Who is missing at Alabama? Is the list below it?

Sigma Kappa
Alpha Xi Delta
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Phi Sigma Sigma
Delta Phi Epsilon
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Sigma Tau
And TPA
__________________
Adding 's does not make a word, not even an acronym, plural
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 PM
AnchorAlumna AnchorAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old South
Posts: 2,736
While Sigma Delta Tau does not participate in formal recruitment, we are all hoping that once construction is done and things settle down, SDT will return to this side of camus and again participate fully. That will make them more visible and help them grow even more.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Griffins&Quills Griffins&Quills is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,226
I'm hoping for Alpha Xi's return after Sigma Kappa
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-30-2018, 08:33 PM
sigmak2015 sigmak2015 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5
Can someone enlighten me on why SDT doesn't participate in formal recruitment at Bama?

I'm so excited for SK's colonization this fall!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-30-2018, 08:55 PM
Iota_JWH Iota_JWH is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 70
For one thing,their house is not where the others are. It could also be that they want to be mostly Jewish. I know AEPhi does separate recruitment at some schools where the chapter is primarily Jewish.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-30-2018, 09:53 PM
clemsongirl clemsongirl is online now
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: colonial thrilliamsburg
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
For one thing,their house is not where the others are. It could also be that they want to be mostly Jewish. I know AEPhi does separate recruitment at some schools where the chapter is primarily Jewish.
Someone on this board-Titchou I think-said that a long time ago the traditionally Jewish chapters did a separate recruitment exclusively for the Jewish women at Alabama (although I don't think the Jewish women had a choice in which recruitment to go through). I wonder if any of those chapters ever participated in an integrated recruitment before the other ones closed, or if SDT ever has.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-31-2018, 12:11 AM
sigmak2015 sigmak2015 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5
I figured since they're all panhel, they'd all participate in FMR. also read that SDT is rather diverse, with an AA president at some point.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-31-2018, 02:43 AM
AnchorAlumna AnchorAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old South
Posts: 2,736
SDT is open to women of all faiths and does pledge women of all faiths...and has since I was in school in the early 1970s.
The women themselves chose to not participate in formal recruitment a number of years ago...make that decades ago.

(Full disclosure - I am not an SDT but I am a U of Alabama alumna and still work with our chapter there.)

The chapter's house was originally on sorority row. Numbers shrank over the years - the campus lost two or three other NPC groups and SDT suffered as well. They had always been more selective in pledging. Ultimately they could not maintan the house. With their national's permission, the chapter continued to meet at the Hillel Foundation and continued to pledge a few women each year via COB.

The house was rented to a succession of fraternities and sororities whose houses were undergoing remodeling or new construction.
Recruitment numbers began to grow, and SDT began pledging more members, still through COB. The chapter rents a university-owned house close to what we call new fraternity row. There are several of these university-owned houses together. Theta Tau occupies one, NPHC groups and fraternities occupy the others.

SDT continues to conduct its own separate recruitment, as does Alpha Delta Chi, the Christian sorority which is unhoused. Their numbers, I'm pleased to report, continue to grow.

Delta Gamma returned to campus in 2011, and Sigma Kappa will return this fall. ALL the sororities have built new houses or are in the process of building new houses. Once the "fruit basket turnover" ends of sororities occupying "swing houses" (3 old sorority houses) while the new house is being built, perhaps SDT can return to sorority row and remodel one of the current older houses, or build a new one.

I do hope an Alabama SDT member will appear and correct me!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-31-2018, 07:05 AM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Someone on this board-Titchou I think-said that a long time ago the traditionally Jewish chapters did a separate recruitment exclusively for the Jewish women at Alabama (although I don't think the Jewish women had a choice in which recruitment to go through). I wonder if any of those chapters ever participated in an integrated recruitment before the other ones closed, or if SDT ever has.
Yes,when I went thru in 1963, all 3 traditionally Jewish groups at that time,had a separate rush that ran at the same time as the other groups. Everyone went to Ice Water Teas-first day - and then they split off. I don't know about in years after I left in 1966.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 PM
NinjaPoodle NinjaPoodle is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: On the beach. Well....not really but near it. :0)
Posts: 12,867
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
SDT is open to women of all faiths and does pledge women of all faiths...and has since I was in school in the early 1970s.
The women themselves chose to not participate in formal recruitment a number of years ago...make that decades ago.

(Full disclosure - I am not an SDT but I am a U of Alabama alumna and still work with our chapter there.)

The chapter's house was originally on sorority row. Numbers shrank over the years - the campus lost two or three other NPC groups and SDT suffered as well. They had always been more selective in pledging. Ultimately they could not maintan the house. With their national's permission, the chapter continued to meet at the Hillel Foundation and continued to pledge a few women each year via COB.

The house was rented to a succession of fraternities and sororities whose houses were undergoing remodeling or new construction.
Recruitment numbers began to grow, and SDT began pledging more members, still through COB. The chapter rents a university-owned house close to what we call new fraternity row. There are several of these university-owned houses together. Theta Tau occupies one, NPHC groups and fraternities occupy the others.

SDT continues to conduct its own separate recruitment, as does Alpha Delta Chi, the Christian sorority which is unhoused. Their numbers, I'm pleased to report, continue to grow.

Delta Gamma returned to campus in 2011, and Sigma Kappa will return this fall. ALL the sororities have built new houses or are in the process of building new houses. Once the "fruit basket turnover" ends of sororities occupying "swing houses" (3 old sorority houses) while the new house is being built, perhaps SDT can return to sorority row and remodel one of the current older houses, or build a new one.

I do hope an Alabama SDT member will appear and correct me!
Thank you.
__________________
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. ** Greater Service, Greater Progress
Since 1922
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-13-2018, 04:35 PM
Tinkerbell1 Tinkerbell1 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 16
Crazy BIG pledge classes. I wonder if it negatively effects the sorority experience in any way. Guess not since they keep getting lots of girls signing up.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-13-2018, 06:56 PM
IndianaSigKap's Avatar
IndianaSigKap IndianaSigKap is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sweet Home Indiana
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1 View Post
Crazy BIG pledge classes. I wonder if it negatively effects the sorority experience in any way. Guess not since they keep getting lots of girls signing up.
The large pledge class experience wouldn't affect the number of PNMs signing up, I would think it would affect upperclass retention more so.
__________________
Sigma Kappa
One Heart One Way since 1874
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-10-2018, 03:12 PM
*winter* *winter* is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northeastern US
Posts: 383
Anyone know what's going on with SK? It says on Facebook they're having open house tonight.

(I don't know why I am so excited about this.)
__________________
* Kelsey *
"Apart" of isn't the right term...it is " a_part_of"...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University of Alabama Fall 2014 NPC Sorority Recruitment exlurker Sorority Recruitment 473 08-25-2014 07:41 PM
Spring Recruitment University of Alabama bamagirl24 Sorority Recruitment 22 03-13-2013 09:04 AM
University of Alabama Recruitment bamagirl24 Sorority Recruitment 53 02-15-2013 09:37 AM
Questions about recruitment at University of Alabama greekcurious Sorority Recruitment 9 11-19-2012 11:13 AM
Spring Recruitment at University of Alabama? bamagurlie Sorority Recruitment 52 08-21-2010 01:50 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.