GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,326
1 members and 2,325 guests
naraht

Old 12-12-2002, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Campus Participation

What are your recommendations to motivate members to get involved with activities outside of the sorority? That is-- how can a leadership chair promote her members to get involved on campus and up sorority visibility at the university?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2002, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Participation

I know at my school, when houses do room picks, some houses do first picks by a point system, rather than seniority. In the points system, each member gets points for things like wearing their letters to class on a certain day or attending functions such as community service and trade dinner with other houses. They also give points for being involved in other campus organizations. If you house uses the piont system already, up the value of being involved in activities.
The best way to get people to do stuff if to give them an incentive. If you don't have a point system, another way to motivate them to join other groups would be to find other privelages for them to earn by being the most involved. Make up some award that is given out each semester to the most involved sister, based on position and # of other organizations they are involved with. Or you could just give out a gift bag full of little things like candy or something with your letters on it to them at the end of the semester.
I even know of some houses at my school that require their members to be involved in at least one other organization as part of being a member of the GLO.

There are some ideas for you.

Dave
Old 12-12-2002, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Does your chapter have activity points? In my chapter, members get points for certain things, including campus involvement. You have to maintain a certain amount of points each semester.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

We have a bylaw that requires that brothers be active in at least one other campus organization. Being active in one usually leads to more involvement and better numbers when recruitment rolls around.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-12-2002, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

In our bylaws we require that New Members and Sisters be active in at least one-two other campus organization. (NM one, Sisters two) Being active in on campus orgs usually involvement on campus and the community. It also looks great during recruitment so you can dote on all the wonderful activities your members are involved in.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Campus Leadership is very important to my chapter. Here, we require our pledges to join a campus org to be initiated, and Brother get points in our points system for being in a campus org.