GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,446
3 members and 2,443 guests
chi-o_cat, Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
Thanks for your kind remarks about the Pikes and the house.
Two things:
First, my understanding is that your alumni are conducting a capital campaign to buy the "clubhouse". That option is there for Grove fraternities living in non-equity houses. I assume you'll bulldoze it and build an impressive house of your own design, connected to the gothic housing building. I hope you do it; Phi Gam has done really well since moving to the Grove. I don't kow what's going to happen with those two empty lots. ATO alumni tell me they're going to build, but they won't be back on campus until 2009 and I don't know how long it will take them to grow large enough to support a 60-man house. Who knows what will happen with the Sig Eps? They had already begun construction when they got suspended. I don't even know what the University's position is on their chapter.

Second, with respect, I don't understand your including KA in the first tier. I like the KAs; I thikn they're good guys. But they don't "do" anything. Nothing. They compete in the small fraternity intramural league and they don't do particulaly well. They have no campus leaders, varsity athletes, high profile members. From what I've seen, Phi Sig and Delts are far more aggressive, larger, more athletic and more popular. Again, I don't dislike KA. I just don't see them as a group to be anything special, and I don't think the top sororities do either.
Sigma Chi I understand. They don't "do" anything either, but they have a big chapter and they're popular with the top sororities.

Good luck to you in pursuing a new house. You should be able to raise the money and buy the clubhouse, and that will lead the way for other chapters to do the same.
ROTFLMAO. And isn't being popular what it is all about?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2008, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Get involved in student gov., philanthropies, etc.
OR
Sit on your ass with hot sorority girls.

I want to be in house B!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

You've got it wrong Banditone; at least it's wrong here. On this campus all the top fraternities are considered to be such because the most impressive guys are drawn to them. All the top fraternities are paired with the top sororities. Some of the top houses, like Sigma Chi, pretty much ignore everything but social. No one cares; they're good. Others, like Delt and Phi Sig, are jock houses. No one cares; they're good and tied in with top sororities.
No one here defines a "top fraternity" by their commitment to philanthropy. Some do community service; some don't. The only defining characteristic for the top fraternities here is the quality of members and overall chapter size.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You've got it wrong Banditone; at least it's wrong here. On this campus all the top fraternities are considered to be such because the most impressive guys are drawn to them. All the top fraternities are paired with the top sororities. Some of the top houses, like Sigma Chi, pretty much ignore everything but social. No one cares; they're good. Others, like Delt and Phi Sig, are jock houses. No one cares; they're good and tied in with top sororities.
No one here defines a "top fraternity" by their commitment to philanthropy. Some do community service; some don't. The only defining characteristic for the top fraternities here is the quality of members and overall chapter size.
Disagree about chapter size
Old 04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Banned

Numbers are still important. Your house could have Jimmy Buffet, Chipper Jones, and GW Bush and sororities still wouldn't mix with you because you have 4 guys.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsandtoes View Post
Numbers are still important. Your house could have Jimmy Buffet, Chipper Jones, and GW Bush and sororities still wouldn't mix with you because you have 4 guys.
Having over 120 guys is stupid though.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PADFSUGirl2K2 Send a message via Yahoo to PADFSUGirl2K2 Send a message via Skype™ to PADFSUGirl2K2
Sorry to intrude. I think you should ALWAYS research the one frat that is you, who you feel that you can bond with, etc. Remember, it is a lifelong decision. I would say who I think is the best but I don't know much about the IFC there at Haterville, I mean Gatorville! Best of luck!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I want to chime in here - I really love how the guys can discuss tiers and thoughts on why one group may rise above the next or be of a certain caliber (you get what I mean). This just isn't something that is easily done when discussing sororities. It is always drama and HUGE issues. Kuddos to you all for handling it well.

One thing - PADFSUGirl2K2, when you say research, what would you advise someone to do? I would like to hear your perpective on this.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Having over 120 guys is stupid though.
Quite a few fraternities have over 120 here.

After you get above around...150 or so, brotherhood becomes a real challenge because theres just too many. At a tailgate in Little Rock two guys got in a fight and then came to find out they were brothers. That's just no good.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Kinda funny tho.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

"We've got a little over 150, averaging about 45 per pledge class, plus about 10 spring guys, and of course we'll lose some older guys to dues, transfer, etc. That said I know who everyone in my chapter is."

Same here. We'll initiate 50 a year; with graduation losses and drop-outs, chapter size is stable at around 180. Brotherhood in a large chapter is enhanced by group identity and winning. Define winning any way you want; whatever fires up the Brothers and makes them proud.

However, I do believe the size of a chapter is natually tied to the campus. If you're at Virginia, there are 33 fraternities and the "best" fraternities have an average size of around 60.
If you're at Ole Miss, there are far fewer fraternities, but the top chapter sizes are very large. It depends on the culture of the campus. If you're at Ole Miss, you cannot effectively maintain a 60-man chapter and compete with the Phi Delts, Sigma Nus, Pikes, Sigma Chis, etc. (I know I'm missing some).
Old 04-18-2008, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsandtoes View Post
We've got a little over 150, averaging about 45 per pledge class, plus about 10 spring guys, and of course we'll lose some older guys to dues, transfer, etc. That said I know who everyone in my chapter is.
The chapter I was referring to actually has about 180-190. Around that, I believe. One has 200. Not sure if it includes pledges or not.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-18-2008, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
"We've got a little over 150, averaging about 45 per pledge class, plus about 10 spring guys, and of course we'll lose some older guys to dues, transfer, etc. That said I know who everyone in my chapter is."

Same here. We'll initiate 50 a year; with graduation losses and drop-outs, chapter size is stable at around 180. Brotherhood in a large chapter is enhanced by group identity and winning. Define winning any way you want; whatever fires up the Brothers and makes them proud.

However, I do believe the size of a chapter is natually tied to the campus. If you're at Virginia, there are 33 fraternities and the "best" fraternities have an average size of around 60.
If you're at Ole Miss, there are far fewer fraternities, but the top chapter sizes are very large. It depends on the culture of the campus. If you're at Ole Miss, you cannot effectively maintain a 60-man chapter and compete with the Phi Delts, Sigma Nus, Pikes, Sigma Chis, etc. (I know I'm missing some).
Yeah, you guys are huge here and I'm not saying that its bad for everyone, I just don't want to be in a fraternity that big.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Yeah, you guys are huge here and I'm not saying that its bad for everyone, I just don't want to be in a fraternity that big.
I agree: like most things in greek life, it comes down to personal preference. I personally like a chapter size of around 90 or so, which translates to pledge classes of 22-25. We got a bit bigger than that a few years ago, and there was definitely a different feel to chapter meetings, etc.

With that said, I've never heard anyone in a big (150-180) chapter say "I wish this chapter was half this size, so we'd have a closer brotherhood."
Old 04-19-2008, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PADFSUGirl2K2 Send a message via Yahoo to PADFSUGirl2K2 Send a message via Skype™ to PADFSUGirl2K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baci View Post
I want to chime in here - I really love how the guys can discuss tiers and thoughts on why one group may rise above the next or be of a certain caliber (you get what I mean). This just isn't something that is easily done when discussing sororities. It is always drama and HUGE issues. Kuddos to you all for handling it well.

One thing - PADFSUGirl2K2, when you say research, what would you advise someone to do? I would like to hear your perpective on this.
Go to the websites of the fraternities or go to a member. I don't know about the IFC too much but this is what I was always told when I was looking into sororities.