GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,227
Threads: 114,210
Posts: 2,151,524
Welcome to our newest member, KellyWilson32
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 AM
UofHguy90 UofHguy90 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 25
Non-African American's in D9.

I searched for threads related to this but couldn't really find any relating specifically. This is meant to be a open and intellectual debate about how people feel about this.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 AM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,120
Here's a thread from a few years back that touches on this:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=87018
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 AM
UofHguy90 UofHguy90 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 25
Thanks for the thread
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2012, 05:50 AM
UofHguy90 UofHguy90 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 25
Wow after going through quite a few pages of that article, you start to realize there are still a lot of idiots out there in the world lol. Instead of resurrecting a few year old post I would like to start a new one and get the opinions of people today.

I'll start off by saying that I am a white guy,I was raised in predominately african american neighborhoods and went to predominately african american schools. So naturally the extent of my greek knowledge comes from being around members of D9 organizations. I personally don't see what the color of someone's skin has to do with their character or how they would help an organization, but even as someone who has attend one of the most diverse universities in the U.S., I have seen this problem. I have been told I can't pledge and org. because when I showed interest or asked about said org. I " wasn't dressed the right way" also because "I'm white". IMO i think it is foolish for people to say things like this,when they represent and organization thats states that they are NOT biased towards these things.

What are you all's opinions on this topic????
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Senusret I Senusret I is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,835
It's likely that they just don't like you as a person.
__________________
I am proud that my last post on this site was telling Kevin to suck my dick.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM
UofHguy90 UofHguy90 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 25
While that could also be true, the words in the quotes was what I was told by the members of said org.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Senusret I Senusret I is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,835
You'd be surprised at how hard it is for members to say "We're not interested in you."

Good luck, though.
__________________
I am proud that my last post on this site was telling Kevin to suck my dick.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 AM
UofHguy90 UofHguy90 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 25
Thats the thing though it did not come from a member of the undergraduate chapter,in fact the undergraduate guys wanted me to pledge. It came from a guy in a graduate chapter and after he said his bit about everything they no longer seemed to want me around. *shrugs*

I would think it would be easier to say "We're not interested in you." than to resort to flat out racism. O_o
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-2012, 01:48 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofHguy90 View Post
I would think it would be easier to say "We're not interested in you." than to resort to flat out racism. O_o
Well, not really. If they make it because of your race, it makes it impersonal. It's like if you say to a girl "sorry I'm not attracted to you, but I don't like blondes" when her hair has nothing to do with it, it's her personality that bugs.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM
irishpipes's Avatar
irishpipes irishpipes is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Reddest of the red
Posts: 4,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofHguy90 View Post
Wow after going through quite a few pages of that article, you start to realize there are still a lot of idiots out there in the world
Like people with a college education who spell Non African-Americans with an apostrophe s.
__________________
Adding 's does not make a word, not even an acronym, plural
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 PM
justgo_withit justgo_withit is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: College Park, MD
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Like people with a college education who spell Non African-Americans with an apostrophe s.


(mostly, just been wanting to use this. Stephen wtf are you wearing.)
__________________
heartsunshine



Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofHguy90 View Post
Wow after going through quite a few pages of that article, you start to realize there are still a lot of idiots out there in the world lol. Instead of resurrecting a few year old post I would like to start a new one and get the opinions of people today.

I'll start off by saying that I am a white guy,I was raised in predominately african american neighborhoods and went to predominately african american schools. So naturally the extent of my greek knowledge comes from being around members of D9 organizations. I personally don't see what the color of someone's skin has to do with their character or how they would help an organization, but even as someone who has attend one of the most diverse universities in the U.S., I have seen this problem. I have been told I can't pledge and org. because when I showed interest or asked about said org. I " wasn't dressed the right way" also because "I'm white". IMO i think it is foolish for people to say things like this,when they represent and organization thats states that they are NOT biased towards these things.

What are you all's opinions on this topic????
My opinion is that it is none of my business who any private organization pledges or accepts for membership. If they don't want you as a brother, they don't want you. They do not have to explain or justify their membership decisions to anyone.

You don't know what you don't know; however, I doubt that you have some of the ancestral history shared by members of the D9 groups.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
DrPhil DrPhil is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
It's likely that they just don't like you as a person.
Everything that can be said about this topic.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM
sigmadiva sigmadiva is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
My opinion is that it is none of my business who any private organization pledges or accepts for membership. If they don't want you as a brother, they don't want you. They do not have to explain or justify their membership decisions to anyone.

You don't know what you don't know; however, I doubt that you have some of the ancestral history shared by members of the D9 groups.
This is not an issue.

Its more likely what Sen I said, they just don't like him. It can happen no matter the race / color / ancestral history of the person.
__________________
"I am the center of the universe!! I also like to chew on paper." my puppy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 PM
UofHguy90 UofHguy90 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Like people with a college education who spell Non African-Americans with an apostrophe s.
I also think people who troll over a misplaced apostrophe are idiots too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
African American vs Black vs African American jccLove Alpha Kappa Alpha 57 11-13-2007 04:37 PM
% of American's Dislike Congress? Tom Earp News & Politics 0 08-28-2007 07:47 PM
deep African/ African American thinking jihad1906 Sigma Gamma Rho 12 05-05-2007 08:39 AM
American's Next Top Model: Cycle 7 KDAngel Entertainment 149 12-15-2006 09:49 AM
DVD of American's beheading is hot item in Gaza Rudey News & Politics 9 09-30-2004 12:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.