GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,328
1 members and 1,327 guests
bapitytts7552

Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't even think that's his biggest problem. The organization he's recruiting for either doesn't take him seriously or is just awful at expansion efforts. This group has made a lot of bad decisions. Summer rush is just one of them.

That said, early on in our colonization process, we did have some pretty piss poor numbers and lacked the institutional knowledge to recruit throughout the summer. We're doing pretty well today.

It's conceivable he could pull things off, but he's going to need either more organizational support or some sort of something to be able to retain membership once it's been recruited. Rush is only part of the picture. Without some means to retain members, you're just spinning your wheels.
How many did you start with? My gut feeling is that you need to start with at least five. I have seen five guys do it. Three is not five.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Twelve.

But 3 could work.

Heck.. our fraternity was founded by 3 very idealistic gentlemen.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Since it's time to split hairs, a male graduate of a fraternity is an alumnus. Alumni is a group of men or men and women.

I am a female member of a fraternity. So therefore I get to give you all the wasted advice I want. And my advice is to just stop. Any fraternity that won't summer rush is doomed to failure. There's no other way around that. And not getting that rushing men is just befriending strangers REALLY doesn't get even the most basic processes of fraternity life. Which winds me back around to just stop.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Since it's time to split hairs, a male graduate of a fraternity is an alumnus. Alumni is a group of men or men and women.

I am a female member of a fraternity. So therefore I get to give you all the wasted advice I want. And my advice is to just stop. Any fraternity that won't summer rush is doomed to failure. There's no other way around that. And not getting that rushing men is just befriending strangers REALLY doesn't get even the most basic processes of fraternity life. Which winds me back around to just stop.
Good advice.

It's got the male fraternity chapter founder seal of approval. Know your Latin.

That said he's going to fail just because he doesn't do the right thing. My personal experience involved a lot of trial and error (and a lot of really embarrassingly bad error). Do I wish I knew then what I knew now? Yeah, we'd have been a lot better off.

My chapter had a few more advantages than his entity does, but they plausibly could make it. I don't have high hopes with their summer choices, but it could be done.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't even think that's his biggest problem. The organization he's recruiting for either doesn't take him seriously or is just awful at expansion efforts. This group has made a lot of bad decisions. Summer rush is just one of them.

That said, early on in our colonization process, we did have some pretty piss poor numbers and lacked the institutional knowledge to recruit throughout the summer. We're doing pretty well today.

It's conceivable he could pull things off, but he's going to need either more organizational support or some sort of something to be able to retain membership once it's been recruited. Rush is only part of the picture. Without some means to retain members, you're just spinning your wheels.
Since your the only person that I can take serious in this thread (and the only guy really, again no offense to the ladies but they aren't really saying anything that's really serious or useful), everyone should save their breathe. It's just a really pathetic troll at this point. The only thing that's really lazy here is the inability for anyone to use their brains.

There is a lot going on here to even think about summer rush. Again, it's not that I desperately can't do a summer rush, I'm sure it's very possible, the real question is, how is it worth while in this stage of the game? To you it seems as it's in my best interest, but there is a lot more going on in my situation.

First off, it's not just me that's involved. I have friends that are interested in the idea of starting a fraternity, 3-4 guys specifically that are interested in being more involved, maybe more but there are 3-4 guys that are close to the situation I guess you can say. However, they all have things to do this summer and I cant really hold them back. One guy wont be here, another has life things to take care of that definitely matter, another guy doesn't know whats really going on, its pretty complicated and its been a lot of stress to me, someone who's been mainly leading the situation. Plus with other life things to be stressed about, its really something that I'm taking slow. Again, we all really want to do this, but first we have to figure out what the **** is going on before we decide to do anything else.

Second, theres no real direction here of the future. I don't want to waste a bunch of peoples time when I myself and others don't know what we are really doing or where we really need to go. To me and my friends, we wouldn't want a bunch of guys who are mindlessly following a fraternity with no clue of whats to tell. We want some really intellectual and strong minded people to join this, not a bunch of people who have no idea what they really want. We definately can see that greek life is very beneficial and that theres a lot worth while in it, however, we can see that its not so black in white in how it all happens. Before we decide to create a bunch of relationships based on a business, we need to see how this business can happen. We want to do this right. Again, after dealing with a really sketchy group that wouldn't be beneficial to the university, or to really anyone, we want to make something that's actually going to be worth somebodies and our own time.

I'm not even sure what the greek office is really interested in (which I should find out this week) of what their plans are. It's like even if I find some guys who are interested in the idea, we wouldn't know what's next. With the fraternity that I been talking to, the next thing I plan to find out is what are they really interested in doing. The national organization has not been too involved for whatever reasons. It could be due to the division of our group and how messy everything has gotten, but even still it's just all too odd.

I notice they definitely want to improve the quality of greek life as a whole since the less than 4%, the overall gpa is less than 3.0, theres hardly any presence of the system anywhere on campus, its not really something that people at my school think is that special. Again, it reflects the attitude of the institution. The athletics here are mediocre, the university isn't too diverse in it's academics, student life is low, its really a university that is still itself lost in it's identity.

What exactly was it like at your school when you came on? Was the university doing well or was it really stagnant?

Last edited by supahotboi; 04-25-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
[QUOTE=supahotboi;2141292]Since your the only person that I can take serious in this thread ... everyone should save their breathe. It's just a really pathetic troll at this point. The only thing that's really lazy here is the inability for anyone to use their brains.

There is a lot going on here to even think about summer rush. Again, it's not that I desperately can't do a summer rush, I'm sure it's very possible, the real question is, how is it worth while in this stage of the game?

First off, it's not just me that's involved. I have friends that are interested in the idea of starting a fraternity, 3-4 guys specifically that are interested in being more involved, maybe more but there are 3-4 guys that are close to the situation I guess you can say. However, they all have things to do this summer and I cant really hold them back. One guy wont be here, another has life things to take care of that definitely matter, another guy doesn't know whats really going on, its pretty complicated and its been a lot of stress to me, someone who's been mainly leading the situation. Plus with other life things to be stressed about, its really something that I'm taking slow. Again, we all really want to do this, but first we have to figure out what the **** is going on before we decide to do anything else.

Second, theres no real direction here of the future. I don't want to waste a bunch of peoples time when I myself and others don't know what we are really doing or where we really need to go. To me and my friends, we wouldn't want a bunch of guys who are mindlessly following a fraternity with no clue of whats to tell. We want some really intellectual and strong minded people to join this, not a bunch of people who have no idea what they really want. We definately can see that greek life is very beneficial and that theres a lot worth while in it, however, we can see that its not so black in white in how it all happens. Before we decide to create a bunch of relationships based on a business, we need to see how this business can happen. We want to do this right. Again, after dealing with a really sketchy group that wouldn't be beneficial to the university, or to really anyone, we want to make something that's actually going to be worth somebodies and our own time.

I'm not even sure what the greek office is really interested in of what their plans are. It's like even if I find some guys who are interested in the idea, we wouldn't know what's next. With the fraternity that I been talking to, the next thing I plan to find out is what are they really interested in doing. The national organization has not been too involved for whatever reasons. It could be due to the division of our group and how messy everything has gotten, but even still it's just all too odd.They realize you lack maturity, common sense, logic, and the ability to form a sentence. Consider this more of the "dude dating" and let's just say: This national group just isn't feeling the love connection

I notice they definitely want to improve the quality of greek life as a whole since the less than 4%, the overall gpa is less than 3.0, theres hardly any presence of the system anywhere on campus, its not really something that people at my school think is that special. Again, it reflects the attitude of the institution. The athletics here are mediocre, the university isn't too diverse in it's academics, student life is low, its really a university that is still itself lost in it's identity.

As a female who is a teacher, I believe I can speak to the educational issues here: You really can't think anyone will take you or your two friends seriously if you can't form a sentence consistently. Many are fragments, others are run-ons, and still others simply don't make sense. Your spelling is horrible and you continue to list the same few facts (like how you only have 2.5 friends, hoe women can't give advice, and how your university is weak and has poor academics and a poor attitude. Clearly this institution has not taught you common sense or basic writing (or you have chosen to ignore these lessons). Life advice (and yes, though I'm a female, I also am alive and have a life, so I feel confident in my advice in this situation as well) : Put the time you spend in writing the same thing over and over on this forum into taking a remedial English and grammar course. Go get your grades up and transfer to an institution which you won't need to fee the need to bash repeatedly that has the greek life you are so interested in. Take a women's study course while you're at it. Then grow up and get over yourself.

In life, you attract what you project to the world. You say you want to attract intellectual young men, yet your post is so riddled with issues regarding spelling, grammar, context, and lack of logical supporting arguments that you'll have difficulty attracting men so different than you portray yourself.

Greek life is not for you. Form a book club to help your academics and GPA instead.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06

Last edited by sigmagirl2000; 04-25-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahotboi View Post
Since your the only person that I can take serious in this thread (and the only guy really, again no offense to the ladies but they aren't really saying anything that's really serious or useful), everyone should save their breathe. It's just a really pathetic troll at this point. The only thing that's really lazy here is the inability for anyone to use their brains.
Supahotboi if Kevin is the only one you're taking seriously, why aren't you taking his advice of not dismissing the female input? The women of GC have offered you great advice (in this thread and in the original).

I don't have any experience with starting a chapter. The chapter I was a part of was already off the ground. However, being in an established chapter is still hard work. If you're not willing to sacrifice your summer/freetime/whatever, you're not setting up your future chapter up for success.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I count one troll and one person not using his brain in this thread. Just saying.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What exactly was it like at your school when you came on? Was the university doing well or was it really stagnant?
Our school was the 3rd largest in the state, but still viewed as a commuter school. <4% Greek Life. The school has really been growing over the last 10 years. Still #3, but much better academics, in a better Division II conference (MIAA). We were the first new fraternity in decades and they added another 2 years after we colonized.

It sounds like you probably have a better raw situation than we did. Your campus seems pretty ripe for expansion.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I cannot wait for "Starting a fraternity chapter, looking for advice part 3" to pop up in the next couple of days.

Anyway, I guess I can offer some help. And I'm a guy, so by your logic, you have to listen to me, right?

1st, the definition of a troll a la wikipedia.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

So far, in both part 1 and part 2, I have seen no trolls at all.

2nd, if you don't think it is worthwhile to do a very important step/any step in the right direction, then forget about it. Yes, it is very worth it to start trying summer rush, and many people have told you why it is and how it might benefit you.

3rd, your definition of "sketchy" seems to be people who party a lot. You are kinda being superficial there, which is something you said that the fraternities that already exist are, so hey, what do you know, you are a perfect fit for them. By the way, have you tried rushing those fraternities yet?

Also, as a side note, http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...57#post2140557

If you think that dirty rushing is a-ok, I don't think you have no right to determine what's sketchy or not.

4th, and last, and not least bit of Silver advice, listen to the women. Just because they have more balls than you does not mean that you can't take their very good advice.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Since your the only person that I can take serious in this thread (and the only guy really, again no offense to the ladies but they aren't really saying anything that's really serious or useful), everyone should save their breathe.
Ok, so let me see if I have this right...

1). Starts thread asking for advice about starting a fraternity chapter
2). Receives good advice from both men and women
3). Dismisses that good advice
4). Closes thread
5). Starts new thread, and says advice from women isn't welcome
6). Complains that women aren't contributing anything useful to the conversation

He gets our advice, dismisses it (and us altogether), and now he wants it again?

What's sad is that if he didn't blow all of us off, he might have learned that I come from a chapter that struggled (with less than 19 members the entire time I was active), which did recruitment much like fraternities do, that I was the Recruitment Advisor for that chapter, and that I have a ton of good ideas I could have thrown his way.

Oh well.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 04-25-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Banned

All jokes aside, it is one thing to blast the OP for being a fool and not understanding the demographics and collegiate/post-collegiate experiences of GCers. However, it is beginning to appear as though you all feel slighted and are therefore begging the OP to take opinions. Do you all really care? LOL. You all are doing these usernames a huge favor by even responding to these threads. Wooptydoo if the OP doesn't know his head from his ass. Imagine if these threads were responded to like many NPHC threads are. Silence.

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-25-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Imagine if these threads were responded to like many NPHC threads are. Silence.
I needed to read this message this morning; am applying it to a situation I'm currently in. Really difficult to practice restraint of pen and tongue; however, DrPhil, silence is deafening, indeed.

Have a nice day, everyone.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Twelve.

But 3 could work.

Heck.. our fraternity was founded by 3 very idealistic gentlemen.
Sure, three could work as a start. After a full year, though, if you only have three, that's a problem.

I'm not saying there's some absolute cut-off, but I think if you have 5-6, and everyone gets one person by the time you come back in the fall, you have 10+ guys, which can be a decent presence for fall rush.

Of course, it's all campus-dependent and what-not. Crows started up on my campus junior year, and I think they had like 8 core guys to start, and expanded from there.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
All jokes aside, it is one thing to blast the OP for being a fool and not understanding the demographics and collegiate/post-collegiate experiences of GCers. However, it is beginning to appear as though you all feel slighted and are therefore begging the OP to take opinions. Do you all really care? LOL. You all are doing these usernames a huge favor by even responding to these threads. Wooptydoo if the OP doesn't know his head from his ass. Imagine if these threads were responded to like many NPHC threads are. Silence.
Ha, it's true. As I said in the last thread, we don't really care one way or the other.. It's his life. He can choose to fail, and that's on him.

Kevin, stop being all helpful!

@~/~~~~