GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,371
0 members and 2,371 guests
No Members online

Old 04-12-2014, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Tld - it was so common at one point in the South that there is even a term for the original school - feeder school. I know several women who went to a feeder in order to join a particular NPC group and then transfer to Alabama or Ole Miss, etc, their sophomore year. UAB was well known as one for a particular group back in the day. But as another poster mentioned, it doesn't happen that much any more due to expansion, RFM, etc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-12-2014, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

So true. An influx of out of state students to flagship institutions helps temper the feeder issue too - the OOS students often won't have the pre-conceived notions (right or wrong) about groups (and we'll table the discussion on frequent cluelessness about the recruitment process LOL!!).
Old 04-13-2014, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Tld --- were it as innocent as you suggest. Women would drop out of Big Southern University if they did not get specific houses, transfer to a small, uncompetitive school in order to get the letters they wanted and then transfer back to Big School. Or they would simply start at Small Uncompetitive, get the letters and transfer. This has become far less common with the RFM recruitment system and the growth in chapters and expansion. But it was about purported prestige rather than sisterhood. Remember that for NPC, we are talking about teenagers joining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
This. It is such a different approach to membership for NPC than NPHC that I would imagine that transfers for NPHC members from one school to another are rare in comparison to NPC. The research and everything that goes into being an aspirant takes time and a certain level of dedication. Most of the collegiate NPHC members that I have known were juniors or seniors when they crossed. Whereas in the NPC, you can pledge a sorority before you even have your first college class. It's not unusual for freshmen to transfer, but the closer one gets to graduation, the less common transferring becomes in general.
I would then wager that there could be just as much research ("time and dedication") on the NPC PM then. If they've thought about transferring from Feeder College to Big-Name Chapter University (or as mentioned, getting dropped from house of choice at BNCU, transferring to FC then transferring back to BNCU with letters from FC), that takes researching--the orgs AND the schools.

And then, all of that "work" to get into house of your choice, and having said house go

I'd be pissed. I know results vary for every girl, but sads that all that hustling happens in what, the first 2 years of college and could turn out less than ideal.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know that there was all that much research done - at least around here. It was just common knowledge. And the "goal" chapter would be one that was considered - back in the day - top tier and/or exclusive in some way. And the feeder chapter would be at a school anyone could get into, small, with a non competitive recruitment and known as a place where a large number of students went for one year or so (to raise GPA) and then transferred to Big State U.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
You are right tld221, a transfer can't just show up on the doorstep of the chapter she hopes to affiliate with. There is all sorts of paperwork that has to be done. In ZTA the transfer has to initiate the paperwork with her chapter, it then goes to the sorority's headquarters, then to the chapter she hopes to transfer to. She also has to leave her original chapter in good standing (no outstanding bills or standards violations).
This is similar to how we do it in AOII minus the HQ step. Chapters cannot refuse or vote on a transferring sister. This illustrates that all NPCs are different in how we handle the transfer situation, BUT I would still caution a transferring sister to think carefully before affiliating. There is no going back. If the chapter is one that she doesn't mesh with or she can't afford the dues, she must resign. Better to consider this ahead of time before affiliation and keep your membership then find out too late and loose it. We are ALL AOIIs but every chapter is different. Pretending otherwise is stupid. Taking a member from apple chapter and popping her in orange chapter may work depending on the personality of the sister involved but also could be disastrous. In the end, for AOII that apple sister gets to decide.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
In my org (and several others like it), transfers are handled like lulutnl3 said. If I transfer from Gamma Chapter to Lambda Chapter, I'll affiliate with Lambda Chapter but it would be known that I came in through Gamma.

It's never "FUCK LAMBDA CHAPTER. GAMMA FO LYFE!!!" or anything -- just letting folks know your origin story, I suppose
This. lol
Let's say I transferred to XYZ Chapter (Well...just XY since Z indicates a Grad chapter lol). I would say I'm a part of XY by way of AB (whatever my original chapter is).

I would of course still participate in all the activities I can, but I wouldn't claim XY chapter as my home.

ZPHIB - SOLO ACE - @BabyGucci_13