GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,535
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, robertoslittey8
» Online Users: 2,246
2 members and 2,244 guests
KatieKate1244

Old 12-13-2000, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

AND TO THINK IT HE WON THE STATE THAT HAS SO MANY DISCREPENCIES. YOU WOULD THINK MOST AMERICANS WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM IF YOUR STATE OR ANY OTHER THREW OUT 64,000 VOTES, NOT MATTER WHAT THE REASON. PERSONALLY I HOPE THAT NEXT ELECTION THAT THEY HAVE BETTER EQUIPMENT IN PLACE THAT WON'T ALLOW ALL THESE DISPUTES TO GO ON. IT'S NOT THE FLORIDAY THING THAT BOTHERS ME, WHAT BOTHERS ME IS THAT THERE ARE COLLEGE STUDENTS WHO DIDN'T GET THERE ABSENTEE BALLOTS UNTILL THE DAY OF THE ELECTION OR AFTER THE ELECTION WAS OVER, OR NEVER RECEIVED THEM, BUT THE HAD REQUESTED ONE WAY AHEAD OF TIME. AND THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE LAND OF THE FREE, HOME OF THE BRAVE WHERE EVERYONE HAS A VOICE. IRONIC HOW PEOPLE SAY THAT, AND WE HAVE PEOPLE MIGRATING TO THIS COUNTRY BECAUSE OF THE BETTER OPPORTUNITIES AND FREEDOM, WHICH OUR POOR GETS POORER, AND WE CAN'T EVEN TREAT EACH OTHER WITH RESPECT. WHAT A GREAT COUNTRY WE LIVE IN.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-14-2000, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Maybe now we could have a debate about the elimination of electoral collage and true campaign and election reform. POWER TO THE PEOPLE.
Old 12-14-2000, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm just glad it's all over.
Old 12-14-2000, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I think that no matter what, we cannot ignore the fact that Bush DID NOT WIN THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULAR VOTE...The MAJORITY of PEOPLE IN AMERICA DID NOT WANT BUSH PRESIDENT...point blank, flat out. There is no way to escape that FACT. It just doesn't make any sense. In any thing that you do in life, whoever has the most money, education, votes, they WIN!! No questions asked.

It's a very, very sad state of affairs. Bush lied and cheated his way into office. We cannot ignore this fact. And I believe Bush knew all along that things were going to go this way.

All I can do is try to work hard in everything I do so I don't feel the effects of him being in office. He will never have my respect while in office, and I hope it's only for 4 years.
Old 12-14-2000, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

well since we are in the united states miss sunshine, electoral votes have been what we go by not popular vote. You can argue about every president elected office that won by electoral votes and not popular ones! I do think that they are going to go look in to the whole electoral vote thing soon though

[This message has been edited by bucutie02 (edited December 14, 2000).]
Old 12-14-2000, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I didnt want to start anything but I just had to post. MissSunshine I respect your opinion, but these are the facts. Bush was the certified winner in Florida on November 7. He was then certified again after that date following several recounts. Then Gore started the legal actions and the cycle started. Before November 7th there was no uniform standard(equal protection) among all Florida counties on how to do recounts. The Florida Supreme Court was rather partisan and used their role as a legislative capacity. This was wrong along with all the other constitutional arguements with how the recount process was being done. Anyways, in my opinion, once the second case went to the supreme court they made their decision based on priniciple and not on who they wanted in office. They could have been more unanimous, but look how all the decisions have been made lately. Right down the line. Which brings me to this point. MissSunshine, just remember what Al Gore and President Elect Bush said last night. They said this country needs unity right now and the election process is over. The country needs to accept that and the country needs to work together. If one side chooses to bad mouth the other, not compromise, act in denial of the other, and say that Bush is not going to be "my" President then our country will be destined to have 4 years lost. The theme I got from both men last night is that we are all Americans. Not just Democrats, Republicans, or any other party, and we all need consensus.

[This message has been edited by kmullini (edited December 14, 2000).]

Old 12-15-2000, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kmullini:
They said this country needs unity right now
Perhaps more than ever before.

I think President-Elect Bush is the most dignified political figure we've seen in awhile. When he had every opportunity (and perhaps right) to nail Gore to the wall, he stepped back and let Gore concede without further humiliation. Bush has shown the utmost respect for the American people throughout this campaign. I cannot say the same for Gore.

[This message has been edited by AXO Alum (edited December 15, 2000).]
Old 12-16-2000, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Bush won by exactly one vote. That of Clarence Thomas. Speaking of the electoral college, it was started becuase when we first became a country, the states didn't like each other. And to make sure that states with lots of people couldn't elect one of their own everytime, they made the electoroal college. It was a comprise. It has served its purpose. It was good for awhile, but times have changed and its no longer needed.
Old 12-16-2000, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
The electoral collage was not only a compromise, but it is a mistrust of the will of the people. The founding fathers did not trust the common man. They were elitist. It is time this country is for all the people. The electoral collage is an outdate system. We must change it.
Old 12-17-2000, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

In response to the person who said that the we won't be looking at the electoral college soon, blah, blah...this is the first time in 104 years that a president has won the electoral college and NOT the popular vote so please, with all due respect, get the facts straight. That is why there is so much controversy. And I cannot respect a man who did not win his battle the fair and square way. It's funny that Justice Scalia's son is partner with the Bush legal team. It's also funny that all the trouble happened in the state of Florida where Jeb Bush is governor. It's all just too much. I just can't respect that and no matter what, I will not support Bush. I didn't vote for him, he has principles that I do not agree with and he is for the rich getting richer and the poor to be poorer. I will just try and live my life the best way I know how for the next 4 years and pray that God will have his way. Bush is just so funny, he says he is a spiritual man yet he can't even remember his bible verses! But that is a whole other story that I will post later. But of all of you who want to can unify under a liar, but I'm going to choose something else.

Hmmmmmmm, Canada is looking pretty good right now....
Old 12-17-2000, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Subject: Bush and John 3:16

The Lord has a way of revealing those of us who really know him, and those that don't!!!Think about it!

Bush gave a big speech last week about how his faith is so "important" to him. In this attempt to convince the American people that we should consider him for president, he announced that his favorite Bible verse
is John 16:3. Of course the speech writer meant John 3:16, but nobody in the Bush camp was familiar enough with scripture to catch the error.

And do you know what John 16:3 says?

John 16:3 says; "And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor Me."

The Holy Spirit works in strange ways!

To fully understand what John 16:3 means, read the chapter from verse 1!

I don't believe that any man that knows the Word for himself would make that type of mistake!

Hmmmmmm.....
Old 12-17-2000, 03:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Honestly I am a straight ticket die hard Republican. That because I have read the platform and agree with it. I want to see a more conservative Supreme court and government. I feel that as long as a person is educated and understands why they vote for a certain party or person then all is well.

However, Ms. Sunshine states that Pres. Elect Bush misquoted scripture. Well that's a terrible thing, however certain stances that Mr Gore's Party are a direct abomination to scripture. So I think I'll go with the person who just misquoted it.

Kymberleigh
Old 12-17-2000, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm from Florida...but I did one of those infamous absentee ballots, and wonder if my vote was even counted...anyway, knowing what I know now, I STILL wouldn't change my vote if there was a revote (the amount of Nader supporters in Florida still wouldn't account for the Gore-Bush gap--and it's highly unlikely that most Nader supporters would vote for Gore, even now). I'm just glad it's over. Whoever said that Europe and Canada sound like good ideas...I'm moving (albeit for a year) to London in a few months! I'm so excited!
Old 12-18-2000, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by MissSunshine:
Subject: Bush and John 3:16
Miss Sunshine - I know we differ on our opinions, but this supposed misrepresentation of John 3:16 is not true. This was one of the email rumors that I even received with Gore's name on it. It is not true for either side, so please consider editing your post regarding this subject.

Old 12-18-2000, 04:06 PM

Lightbulb

I saw on the GMA this morning that Bush named Condoleeza Rice as his national security adviser nominee. Since this is the "Greek Chat" website...just thought I would point out that she is an Alpha Chi Omega.