GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,236
2 members and 1,234 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-18-2019, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

San Diego State, back in the days of Fred Flintstone. Cap my first year was 50. My sophmore year moved to 65. Don't know quota when I pledged but my class had 14 of us (one was a holdover). The following fall we made quota when we got 21 pledges. Today the chapter is so large, they can't fit in the chapter room for meetings. They have to rent an off-site location for meetings.

DaffyKD
Old 07-18-2019, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
At Bloomsburg in the early 90s, quota was around 8, and campus total was 48. Today, quota is still around 8 and total is mid 40s. It's sad to see other greek systems grow by leaps and bounds while they flounder in medocrity.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
At Bloomsburg in the early 90s, quota was around 8, and campus total was 48. Today, quota is still around 8 and total is mid 40s. It's sad to see other greek systems grow by leaps and bounds while they flounder in medocrity.
I have a problem with considering a small greek system (or group) to be mediocrity. I don't know the campus, of course, but I do know that my personality avoids groups of hundreds. For real, at one time my chapter was down to 12 or so. My pledge class was 9, but initiated 6. What it taught us was to play to each others' strengths, to learn what was vital and what was not, to let go of the not-vital, to budget tightly (housing was university-owned, so not the chapter's responsibility), and to partner with other organizations. It isn't typical sorority life; but it worked for us and our system, and was not in the least a mediocre experience.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:22 PM

Not saying that every Greek system is supposed to experience 50% growth like say, UCLA in this thread. Or have classes as big as Arkansas.

...But a Greek system should be growing from the 90s to now. Chapters and classes should not be the exact same size as they were almost 30 years ago. I think Bloomsburg has also lost chapters in that time. Not a sign of a healthy system.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quota when I joined was between 17 and 20; total was fifty-seven. A majority of the twelve available NPC groups did not make quota and thus often COBed, and only 2 or 3 groups ever hit total.

Today there are half the number of groups on campus, and from available information quota was recently twenty-three with the total being seventy-eight.

All in all, a lack of a positive growth pattern in my old greek community.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

When I joined in the fall of 1981 there were 6 NPC sororities, I believe quota was around 26 and we had a class of 29. I believe that our house total was around 75-80.
Quota was up in the 1980's, down in the late 1990's and has now moved into the 30's over the past few years with 8 NPC sororities.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
It's probably the same at most of the SSHE schools (except West Chester- everyone always points this out lol). My post was about Slippery Rock. At this point, I'm just happy it rebounded after a slump. I don't think some of the other schools are pulling in decent recruitment numbers, sadly. I hate to see this, but when they keep jacking up the price of things for students who predominantly come from working/middle class, a lot of kids probably just can't afford the extra costs.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

When I pledged at Iowa State in 1997, we had 15 chapters, total was 92 and quota was around 20-22 each year. Now, we still have 15 chapters (AXiD closed, APhi closed and came back and DG colonized) but total is closer to 170 and quota is around 45-50.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Liberal arts college, graduated in the 90s. Quota was around 30, campus total at 100 (we were always over total after rush, which took place in the spring, for a bit). Quota has stayed around the same, however the school has added 3 more NPC chapters so the system is growing, just not the individual chapter sizes. Which I view as a good thing for a campus of about 3500.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
It's probably the same at most of the SSHE schools (except West Chester- everyone always points this out lol). My post was about Slippery Rock. At this point, I'm just happy it rebounded after a slump. I don't think some of the other schools are pulling in decent recruitment numbers, sadly. I hate to see this, but when they keep jacking up the price of things for students who predominantly come from working/middle class, a lot of kids probably just can't afford the extra costs.
This sums it up...plus when you’re working multiple jobs or going home to work every weekend a GLO is the last thing you need on your plate. I can only guess that WCU must be getting kids who couldn’t afford the private schools in the area (but could have 15-20 years ago).
Old 07-22-2019, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This sums it up...plus when you’re working multiple jobs or going home to work every weekend a GLO is the last thing you need on your plate. I can only guess that WCU must be getting kids who couldn’t afford the private schools in the area (but could have 15-20 years ago).
Do you know how things are at Clarion? I was sad to see a group close there.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM

There's a difference between a small greek system and a stagnant greek system. When greek systems across the country are adding or WERE adding new chapters ALL THE TIME, Bloomsburg couldn't add even 5 more members to their chapters. The system itself has been marred by a campus who doesn't know how to work with greeks, nor do they really even care to. The ORGANIZATIONS aren't mediocre - the STAFF that oversees it has been terrible. A new greek life person started a couple of weeks ago. It'll be interesting to see if it has any effect.

I'll use another example - Kutztown University. Their system was growing, while their campus population was shrinking. The students didn't want big chapters, so they set their total at 60. When they all hit 60, they added a new group. So while chapter size may remain the same, the system grows through expansion. Bloomsburg has NEITHER. It's mediocrity at its finest. If that's offensive to you, my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I have a problem with considering a small greek system (or group) to be mediocrity. I don't know the campus, of course, but I do know that my personality avoids groups of hundreds. For real, at one time my chapter was down to 12 or so. My pledge class was 9, but initiated 6. What it taught us was to play to each others' strengths, to learn what was vital and what was not, to let go of the not-vital, to budget tightly (housing was university-owned, so not the chapter's responsibility), and to partner with other organizations. It isn't typical sorority life; but it worked for us and our system, and was not in the least a mediocre experience.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:54 PM

No sorority chapters have been lost EVER. Fraternities, yes, but always for risk management reasons. And new ones usually come in to take the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Not saying that every Greek system is supposed to experience 50% growth like say, UCLA in this thread. Or have classes as big as Arkansas.

...But a Greek system should be growing from the 90s to now. Chapters and classes should not be the exact same size as they were almost 30 years ago. I think Bloomsburg has also lost chapters in that time. Not a sign of a healthy system.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:04 PM

West Chester is an anomaly, no doubt, but Kutztown has experienced growth as well. Campus total is around 60, and they've added a chapter in the last 3 years. As for the other SSHE schools, who the hell knows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Old 07-22-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Do you know how things are at Clarion? I was sad to see a group close there.
Wait, another one? Fraternity or sorority?

We went from 10 fraternities while I was there to I think 4 now, and from 8 sororities to 5. Totals of all are way way down.