GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,462
1 members and 1,461 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 PM
hopeful:)

When is too late to rush?

My first opportunity to go through formal recruitment will be when I am a senior. I have attended the same university all four years, but I did not go through recruitment my freshman or sophomore years.

And my junior year (When I realized that I REALLY wanted to go through rush), I was studying abroad and unable to participate. I do not go to an extremely competitive school- we have only 4 sororities.

But, as a senior. Graduating in (hopefully) May... Is it too late for me?

Honesty Appreciated
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM

Senior year is kind of late in the game.

I would think that even at non-competitive schools, it would be tough to get a bid, just because it's not like you're a transfer and you'll be around for a few more years. You're graduating in May.

I went to a non-competitive school and there were very few instances of graduating seniors getting bids (maybe 2 thoroughout my time in college--and they were girls who were VERY well connected with a chapter). If a senior got a bid, she was most likely going to be in school for at least another year.

The odds may be against you here. However, you can do whatever you want. Best of luck.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-23-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I went to a non-competitive school and there were very few instances of graduating seniors getting bids (maybe 2 thoroughout my time in college--and they were girls who were VERY well connected with a chapter). If a senior got a bid, she was most likely going to be in school for at least another year.
My experience (extremely small, noncompetitive school, three sororities) echoes this. I can only think of one instance of a graduating senior receiving a bid to my chapter, and two instances at another chapter on my campus. In all three instances, the ladies in question were very, very special cases.

Go through recruitment, if that's what you want to do, but at this point, expecting a bid might not be very realistic.

Last edited by unicorn; 06-23-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added school details for clarity
Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 PM

Yeah that is what I thought. And expected. And I understand that as a senior I wouldn't be able to really "be" a part of the org for long...

It is just an interesting situation. B/c right now I am a junior but will be abroad...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 PM

I have also considered expansion... but before pushing expansion through as hard as possible, I would like to have actually gone through recruitment. UGH oh to be young again and have the time...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful:) View Post
Yeah that is what I thought. And expected. And I understand that as a senior I wouldn't be able to really "be" a part of the org for long...

It is just an interesting situation. B/c right now I am a junior but will be abroad...
But remember that membership is for a lifetime! There is always a possibility that you could get a bid (though as others have said it's not as likely as if you were younger), so if you do go through recruitment, just keep an open mind and an optimistic attitude! And good luck!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I have also considered expansion... but before pushing expansion through as hard as possible, I would like to have actually gone through recruitment. UGH oh to be young again and have the time...
Note: Your school would have to be OPEN for expansion in order for a new sorority to come to your campus.

Also, even if a new sorority were to be colonizing at your school, it's not a guarantee that you'd receive a bid (although colonies do take on a few seniors).

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-24-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Note: Your school would have to be OPEN for expansion in order for a new sorority to come to your campus.

Also, even if a new sorority were to be colonizing at your school, it's not a guarantee that you'd receive a bid (although colonies do take on a few seniors).

Exactly! Like was said above, the expansion process can take over a year, sometimes two! When new sororities colonize they do tend to take a few upperclassmen, but I would not bank your hopes on it.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hello All!

I think that ZTA needs to colonize at UAB- the University of Alabama at Birmingham. It has a growing greek system and (I've heard) may be open to expansion soon.

UAB needs ZTA!!!

Quote:
Hello Ladies!
I am not a member of Phi Mu, or any Greek organization for that matter. My school only has four sororities on campus and I am attempting to bring another. Not that my preference truly matters, but I want Phi Mu. I believe that it would be a great fit for my university.

I have read the NPC rules and regulations, and I do not want to do anything illegal. However, is there any way that I can encourage expansion? (Other than just leaving it entirely up to the NPC executive board?)

Also, is there anything I can do (like try to get an interest letter on file) to encourage the colonization of Phi Mu?

Like my screen name, I am hopeful. Please help!

Careful, sweetie.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Expansion is usually a long process.... and even when it does occur, it's not just a wave of a magic wand and POOF you're members. It's a lot of hard work to get everything going and probably more difficult than joining an already-established group because everyone is trying to figure things out. Think about that going into your senior year with your senior-level courses.

If you want to rush, go for it. See what happens. But you should do so with the expectation that you might be disappointed.

I agree that sisterhood is for a lifetime, but you also need to realize that as a graduating senior, you won't have the same experience that the freshmen in the new member class will.

Alumnae associations are not like collegiate chapters, so you need to assess WHY you want to join a sorority and go from there.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Careful, sweetie.
Thanks for the QFPs.

Note to hopeful -- Posting all over GC about you want _____ sorority to come to your school is ULTRA tacky. Also, the SCHOOL has to decide on expansion. One person can't "encourage" it or "push for it."

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

yikes.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the QFPs.

Note to hopeful -- Posting all over GC about you want _____ sorority to come to your school is ULTRA tacky. Also, the SCHOOL has to decide on expansion. One person can't "encourage" it or "push for it."
eeeeeee!! I didn't even see that.

In addition to being uber tacky, the OP just identified the school she goes to. If there aren't many upperclassmen going through recruitment this Fall, it won't be hard for the sororities there who may be reading to figure out who the OP is.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful :)

But, as a senior. Graduating in (hopefully) May... posting indiscreet things all over Greek Chat....Is it too late for me?
Fixed your post for you.

And yes, it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY too late.