GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,639
2 members and 1,637 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 08-25-2017, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
tx_AOII15, I only just saw your reply ... and the car is awesomesauce!!

I just started a new job last week, complete with a relocation to NEW ORLEANS! My husband and I drove the aforementioned awesomesauce car from CT to LA. I'm renting while trying to figure out where to buy. The recent flood has proven to be a good litmus test... my apartment building is temporarily running its leasing office out of a vacant 11th floor apartment!

Eclipse side note: There were temporary signs placed alongside the eclipse totality path in Tennessee a full two weeks ahead of time: "NO PARKING DURING ECLIPSE" LOL
No worries, congrats on the new job and the move to New Orleans. I was there last year in March for a few days for a wedding, it's such a beautiful city! I plan on going back one day when I'm not on such a schedule crunch to explore some some more and to enjoy that cuisine.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
tx_AOII15, I only just saw your reply ... and the car is awesomesauce!!

I just started a new job last week, complete with a relocation to NEW ORLEANS! My husband and I drove the aforementioned awesomesauce car from CT to LA. I'm renting while trying to figure out where to buy. The recent flood has proven to be a good litmus test... my apartment building is temporarily running its leasing office out of a vacant 11th floor apartment!

Eclipse side note: There were temporary signs placed alongside the eclipse totality path in Tennessee a full two weeks ahead of time: "NO PARKING DURING ECLIPSE" LOL
Congrats on the new job and on the move. Love that city so much!

WIFLSRN? Just 1 more week and I'm finally back in the US for a little while. Can't wait to see our friends again and of course, to enjoy some R&R.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:01 PM

AUGH!

So you know that awesomesauce car I just mentioned? My company took the day off today to go volunteer at an animal shelter. There was only on-street parking available, so I drove over, parked, worked with the kitty cats for a while (they were so cute!), and then I heard someone yell, "Is there a <aephi alum> here? You drive a Lexus with Connecticut plates? It was just rear ended."

The other driver, who works near the animal shelter, stayed to give me his insurance information and reattach the car's rear bumper with some packing tape. He was driving a pickup truck with a trailer, and took a turn too fast without being mindful of the trailer. My car is temporarily driveable, but now I have to take it to a body shop (and I have no idea which body shops around here are good and which will try to defraud me) and then deal with his insurance company - and potentially fight with them - I never met an insurance company, be it health, homeowners, or auto, that wouldn't do anything to avoid paying out on a claim.

AND, I lost one of my favorite earrings.

But my coworkers were the best. One of them, while walking one of the shelter dogs, discovered the accident and put two and two together and figured I was the only person around who could have been the victim. And several of them took some time to help me find my earring (we were unfortunately unsuccessful). Hooray for small companies and good people.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AUGH!

So you know that awesomesauce car I just mentioned? My company took the day off today to go volunteer at an animal shelter. There was only on-street parking available, so I drove over, parked, worked with the kitty cats for a while (they were so cute!), and then I heard someone yell, "Is there a <aephi alum> here? You drive a Lexus with Connecticut plates? It was just rear ended."

The other driver, who works near the animal shelter, stayed to give me his insurance information and reattach the car's rear bumper with some packing tape. He was driving a pickup truck with a trailer, and took a turn too fast without being mindful of the trailer. My car is temporarily driveable, but now I have to take it to a body shop (and I have no idea which body shops around here are good and which will try to defraud me) and then deal with his insurance company - and potentially fight with them - I never met an insurance company, be it health, homeowners, or auto, that wouldn't do anything to avoid paying out on a claim.

AND, I lost one of my favorite earrings.

But my coworkers were the best. One of them, while walking one of the shelter dogs, discovered the accident and put two and two together and figured I was the only person around who could have been the victim. And several of them took some time to help me find my earring (we were unfortunately unsuccessful). Hooray for small companies and good people.
Sorry about the car!

Did you call the police and file a report? ALWAYS file a report. Then there are no disputes. The reason insurance companies deny claims is because once the other person is on the phone with them and not standing in front of you, they start denying responsibility. It becomes your word against theirs.

P.S. I had someone hit me a few years ago (and fortunately there was a police officer right across the street) and they had Nationwide insurance. I called them up, there were no issues, and they sent me to the best repair shop in town. They're not all bad!

@~/~~~~
Old 08-31-2017, 12:15 AM

Update on the aephialummobile:

@ASTAlumna06: The other driver was on the phone with me and the insurance agent, and he admitted complete guilt. I have photos of his driver's license and insurance card.

Took my car to the body shop at oh-dark-thirty this morning for an estimate and photos. The bumper has been re-taped. (They had to cut away the packing tape to assess the damage properly.) They actually thought I'd be upset because the tape was yellow! I don't care if the tape is bright pink with orange and purple polka dots so long as it holds the damn bumper onto the car!

So now I wait. I have a driveable car, and I am within walking distance of my office, a grocery store, a pharmacy, and several restaurants and bars. I will survive.

Last edited by aephi alum; 09-01-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

It was 85 degrees today. In San Francisco.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:45 AM

AUGH!!!!

I suffer from some pretty bad allergies, including cats.

I own a cat.

I just moved to New Orleans from Connecticut, and I am going through hell getting my patient records transferred down to the allergy center at Tulane. They won't even schedule a goddamn doctor appointment without my records, and, even though the CT office faxed my records over on Monday, no one at Tulane has bothered to enter them into the database, even though it's now FRIDAY, so I DON'T EXIST according to them.

Today, I was sneezing my head off at work. I had to reassure my coworkers repeatedly that it was allergies, not a cold.

I. AM. GOING. TO. DIE.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

My classmate was a DG from Texas A&M. Really cool lady.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

I don't like thunder and lighting. That is all.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

OHHH EMMM GEEE!!! My best friend (and pledge class sister)'s baby sister is all grown up and is a beautiful, poised, and accomplished young woman whose sorority recruitment starts today! I have been helping her prepare and find alumnae of the sororities on her campus and trying to answer all her questions, as her (and my) sister sort of lost touch with the fraternity/sorority world. While I still have no idea what the mothers who post here must feel, I almost feel like an associate member of the freaking-out-moms club! I am SO nervous/excited for her! She has recs for 6/8 groups, a level head on her shoulders, and a positive outlook, so hopefully all will go beautifully and she will find her happy home! But in the meantime--EEP!!!
Old 09-17-2017, 04:31 PM

THE PATS BEAT THE SAINTS!
THE PATS BEAT THE SAINTS!

<remembers that she is no longer in Connecticut, but now lives in New Orleans>

<shuts up>
Old 09-18-2017, 11:40 PM

So it looks like Hurricane Jose is going to bring tropical storm weather to the New York tri-state area.

I just moved to New Orleans. My husband is currently in Connecticut, as we still own a house there, and there are things to be done up north, and I have zero PTO at my new job.

The husband thinks he is going to have to put his head between his legs and kiss his @$$ goodbye. And here we thought *I* was going to be the one who'd have to worry about hurricanes! I told him to come to NOLA where he'd be safe! :P

Stay safe, everyone.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

My parents and brother back in RI are hunkering down for rain and wind but not particularly worried. They might lose power but thankfully we've got a generator in the garage.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:42 PM

Tell them to stock up on gasoline NOW.

We lost power for probably about two weeks total during 2012, between Sandy and a number of severe thunderstorms. Most residents bought up gas so that they could either power their generators or fuel up their cars and get out of Dodge. All the local gas stations either (a) ran out of gas entirely, (b) ran out of regular gas but still had premium (generators only take regular gas), (c) lost power and hence the gas pumps wouldn't work, or (d) had lines several blocks long.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Note to self: when a helicopter mom starts posting, be sure to check her GC previous messages. I would have saved myself a lot of annoyance (but yes, it was hilarious) if I'd just searched and read what the OP posted in 2013. The crazy runs DEEP with this one, folks.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity