GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,678
2 members and 2,676 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 09-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Smaller numbers can often be a slippery slope if you do nothing to control it. One house on my campus (two of them actually) just had their charter suspended and many members kicked out for hazing. They have 5 members. Friday night was the first night of rush and they signed 1 person. Girls who went to their party (and later came to ours) said they felt sorry for the 5 guys standing around in suits and ties staring at eachother.

Another house on my campus had the same thing happen to them numbers wise (and with the hazing). They mobilized their 7 remaining actives and their alumni base and have done a hell of a job recruiting. I think they signed around 10 the first night.

So numbers can work against you if you don't do anything about it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2002, 02:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
Chapter size is pretty important to me... I would not want to be part of an exceptionally small or large sorority. I believe at UCR the Panhellenics are generally from 30-50 or so girls, although I could be mistaken. That seems like the ideal size for me!

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I only noticed numbers if they were CONSIDERABLY lower, which one sorority was. The thing is, though, some Rho Chis tell their girls which sororities are smaller and which are larger. It's bad enough that the other girls talk about which sororities are "better" and "worse" but it doesn't help that the Rho Chis are encouraging it. Not all, but some. I personally had no clue that DG was smaller than some of the others (it wasn't the smallEST, but it wasn't the biggest, either) but I thought they were the most like me and their skit and pref night were the best and stuff like that.
In addition, our campus has quota plus, which makes one sorority on campus always considerably smaller (or at least their pledge class). I'd explain the math to you, but it's kind of complicated and I don't fully understand it myself. Moral of the story is that the largest and smallest sororities on campus had a difference of around 100 members going into rush when I went through. PM me and I'll get on my full soapbox about that one. (And, FYI, DG was neither the largest nor the smallest)

Last edited by CarolinaDG; 09-02-2002 at 11:31 PM.