GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,111
0 members and 1,111 guests
No Members online

Old 02-17-2001, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Quota question

Last edited by Jen; 08-13-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-18-2001, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

At the school that I went to our membership cap (ceiling) for all of the sororities was usually 40. It could be changed if all of the sororities agreed upon it.

If you are at ceiling you are still allowed to take quota but no more. So if you have 40 girls and quota is 10, you could have a possible number of 50 girls in your organization.
Old 02-18-2001, 05:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
brook--

Basically, caps are imposed by campuses, not nationals. Caps are imposed to keep those sororities that are large from completely dominating a rush situation. Caps are set by the Panhellenic, along with the campus. Nationals usually then have a standard at which they view a chapter in good standing as X% of cap.

When it comes to cap and quota, all sororities may take quota in the formal recruitment period. Once formal recruitment is completed, organizations that have not reached the cap through that process may COB new members. Hope this helps
Old 02-18-2001, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quota is set during formal recruitment. They take the number of girls that return to a certain party (which is different for every school) and divide that by the number of sororities... that number is quota. There is a chapter total which is the highest number you can have, but this is imposed by the panhellenic of the university. Each school is different. You can have more members than the chapter total if: you didn't lose many girls to graduation/alum status and you made quota but that exceeded chapter total, or if you have a student that transfers and is already and initiated member into a chapter and decided to affiliate. Those are the only reasons my campus allows you to be over chapter total. Hope this helps!

------------------
If your going to go greek, why not be a goddess?
Old 02-20-2001, 12:21 AM

I have heard of fraternities imposing membership caps on a chapter basis. Or I think sometimes it is from the national (don't know why, but it sticks in my head that Delta Phi does this). The reason the guys usually do this is because in their belief, the smaller numbers make for a better and tighter brotherhood.

I don't think a national sorority would ever dictate a member cap as a NATIONAL policy. You've probably heard people on here talk about "total" or "ceiling" which would be different than a cap. If a sorority is at ceiling of 40, they can only take quota. If a sorority has a CAP of 40 and they have 35 going into rush, they can only take 5 pledges, no matter what quota is. I hope this makes sense!

Old 02-20-2001, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a cap for all sororities on our campus, which is set up by the Panhellenic Council. It can be adjusted at any time, through a vote. Right now I think it's 80 girls per chapter.