GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,568
0 members and 1,568 guests
No Members online

Old 03-08-2004, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

UM-Flint expels Greeks

New rule unmet, UM-Flint expels Greeks

FLINT

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

Monday, March 08, 2004

By Shena Abercrombie
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Flint - Two Greek student organizations have been expelled from the University of Michigan-Flint campus, shutting the groups out of most campus activities.

Kappa Delta Xi fraternity and Alpha Theta Chi sorority were informed last month that they no longer would be recognized as campus organizations after failing to comply with a new rule requiring fraternities and sororities to be affiliated with a national chapter.

The rule change is seen by some as an effort to crack down on hazing, recognized as a national crisis among college fraternities and sororities. While there have been no reported incidents of hazing at UM-Flint, any such activity could become a liability issue, according to a university official.

The ousted Greek organizations were started locally as independent chapters.

National Greek organizations generally take strong, anti-hazing stances.

"The organizations that are responsible to a national organization, their entire charter would be revoked if they were found (hazing)," said Kelli Hoppe, UM-Flint student activities coordinator.

In contrast, independent Greek outfits pose liability problems.

"The main reason for that (rule) is local organizations don't have liability insurance," Hoppe said. "It puts students as well as the university at risk. Hazing wasn't a major part of the discussion (here). To my knowledge we have not had a large hazing problem on campus."

Hoppe said the two organizations were notified of the rule in November and given a Feb. 9 deadline to comply.

"Both of them opted not to become national organizations," Hoppe said.

Other campuses have made similar moves to harness Greek activity.

UM-Ann Arbor came under fire from students when it unveiled a plan that would delay rushing and pledging among Greeks by a semester and require fraternities to have live-in advisers.

University officials announced the proposal in December, three months after a student suffered kidney damage following a hazing incident at a UM fraternity. The university called the move an effort to resolve problems facing freshman.

The new UM-Flint rule has some support on campus.

Jennifer Garcon is a member of Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority and sits on the Panhellenic board that serves as a campus umbrella for all Greek organizations.

"I think it's a good thing, it protects everybody from getting sued," said the junior business major. "Then there's no hazing whatsoever. Almost all national chapters are not allowed to haze."

But Alpha Theta Chi president Kellie Gilkes argues that the sorority was misled about the university's true intentions and initially was told the rule was only a possibility.

"I was angered and shocked because they kind of pulled this out of the blue," said Gilkes, 23, a junior business major.

"We're still looking into what we can do," Gilkes said of the 13-member sorority's future. "We've been researching student organization rights and looking into UM-Ann Arbor's policies. Hopefully we can talk with Chancellor (Juan) Mestas soon. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do."

Some students argue it's a control issue, and the expulsion will speed the demise of an already meager student life at the downtown commuter campus.

"My brothers are all pretty upset about the situation," said Tony R. Delgado, a junior business major and member of Kappa Delta Xi fraternity. The group has 10 members.

"They should check around. UM-Flint is not the only campus with local fraternities or sororities. One of the major campus events is Greek Week Challenge.

"With only two fraternities left that won't be much of a challenge. It's going to be the downfall of Greek life," he said.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Old 03-08-2004, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chideltjen
My thoughts exactly!!!!! I'm still working on things!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 08:33 PM

Unless the school provides you with million dollar on campus houses what are they really taking away from you? Now you don't have to follow any of their bullshit rules. You can recruit members regardless of credits, gpa. You don't have to follow total and quota. You can recruit as many members as you want whenever and wherever you want.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:42 PM

What a bitch!!! Did she even say that if you got insurance that would be fine? If not...then her statement is total BS and I would rake her over the coals for it.

This anti local bias by administrators is really beginning to piss me off. If you have that kind of attitude you shouldn't even be in a Greek Life job.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madmax
You can recruit members regardless of credits, gpa. You don't have to follow total and quota. You can recruit as many members as you want whenever and wherever you want.
We already do...
Old 03-08-2004, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
What a bitch!!! Did she even say that if you got insurance that would be fine? If not...then her statement is total BS and I would rake her over the coals for it.

This anti local bias by administrators is really beginning to piss me off. If you have that kind of attitude you shouldn't even be in a Greek Life job.
Will you come be our Greek Advisor?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I would seriously hire a lawyer.

There has got to be something in your schools bylaws that states an organization can be recognized without insurance.

I mean seriously, if she is going to bias greek orgs for not having insurance, then hell... EVERY ORGANIZATION on campus should have insurance or be cut. I know a small ballroom dance club on your campus doesn't have insurance. If they don't, well then they should be banned too.

Tell her that if she wants you all to go national... tell her to go find a national that will sponsor you and form a colony in that small given time frame. From hearing stories from past sisters of mine, and even reading on here... colonization can take a REALLY long time. And to find a group that really fits your values as a house can be even harder. But obviously you don't want to forgo your letters.

I mean they said you don't have a hazing problem so what's the big deal. Is the advisor THAT paranoid that everything is going to go to shit once she comes aboard that she has to eliminate any POTENTIAL problem she MAY encounter while in office???? Please...

If you had been on campus THAT long, I would think that would be insurance for itself. OBVIOUSLY you are a stable organization.

BAHHH. I'm pissed off for you.

LOCAL PRIDE!
Old 03-09-2004, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

The same thing happened on the campus of my first university.

The rule arised from a member of one of the local sororities who was attempting to file a suit against the local sorority (which didn't even have any assets or anything to sue for) and the school since the local sorority didn't have anything. Personally, she never even came *close* to having a real case but it was enough for the administration to get thinking.

Since then 2 NPC groups have colonized, and I believe 1 of the 2 have already chartered. There is one remaining local, but from what I hear they will more than likely affiliate with another NPC soon due to pressure from the administration.

All the fraternities on the campus are nationally-backed chapters as well.

They basically felt that if the groups are backed by a national organization with policies they must adhere to, there would be less chances of problems with hazing, there would be insurance if they needed it, and an organization to back them if things went wrong.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AOX81
Will you come be our Greek Advisor?
Sure, if you move the school to Pgh.

And like Jen said, if she can be MacGyver and find a national that will colonize in 2.5 seconds, tell her to do it up. You should definitely get a lawyer. They can't tell you "go national" and expect it to be done in 3 months. What sorority is this dingaling a member of?

Last edited by 33girl; 03-09-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I would like to see them prove that the nationals at our university dont actualy haze!! From all accounts I have personaly heard it is not the local sorority that is the problem
Old 03-09-2004, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by butterfly13
I would like to see them prove that the nationals at our university dont actualy haze!! From all accounts I have personaly heard it is not the local sorority that is the problem
That's just hearsay though.. you couldn't really know whethor or not it is actually true unless you are there yourself
Old 03-09-2004, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chideltjen
There has got to be something in your schools bylaws that states an organization can be recognized without insurance.

I mean seriously, if she is going to bias greek orgs for not having insurance, then hell... EVERY ORGANIZATION on campus should have insurance or be cut. I know a small ballroom dance club on your campus doesn't have insurance. If they don't, well then they should be banned too.

I mean they said you don't have a hazing problem so what's the big deal. Is the advisor THAT paranoid that everything is going to go to shit once she comes aboard that she has to eliminate any POTENTIAL problem she MAY encounter while in office???? Please...
True that, Jen!! You're right about every org not requiring insurance....that's a loophole that is working against the Greek system.

Also, sounds like the adviser could be trying to avoid having to deal with problems while she works there. I know it would scare me if I were a GA on a campus where hazing was a problem...it could cost me my job. However, she said that hazing isn't the issue on this campus...so what exactly is she worried about?

Go look at my very looooong post I put on your thread in the locals forum. It's got some good ideas....

PsychTau
Old 03-09-2004, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychTau
True that, Jen!! You're right about every org not requiring However, she said that hazing isn't the issue on this campus...so what exactly is she worried about?
She's obviously a stuck up snooty beeeeyotch who thinks (in the immortal words of an old Greek Source post) "if you ain't NPC, you ain't shit."
Old 03-09-2004, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTLuv21
I'm not going to give my exact opinion on the whole situation, but I'm a sweetheart for the Theta Chi's up at U of M Flint and that Kelli Hoopie (sp?) even gives the Theta Chi's shit at time for stupid stuff that goes on. And just so you guys know, Greek Life at U of M Flint is looked down upon. They have no support what so ever.