GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,334
0 members and 2,334 guests
No Members online

Old 10-09-2003, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Within the next few days the Office of Greek Life should have the names othe New Members of Sororities and Pledges of Fraternities listed on their site.

here is the site.
http://www.greeks.olemiss.edu/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-12-2003, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: New Orleans. Or pure unpenetrable evil, depending on what I feel like at the moment.
Send a message via AIM to GPhiLlama Send a message via Yahoo to GPhiLlama
Speaking as a coastal Mississippian, there were a lot of people from my hight school who went to Ole Miss last year. A majority of them planned to join a sorority, but I think most of them either decided not to do it, dropped out during rush, or didn't get bidded.

From what I've heard, it would be a virtual impossibility to start a new NPC chapter there because the other ones have been there for such a long time. Southern tradition and all that.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
I'd have to agree with Sugar and Spice. Contrary to what was said early on, and even though we are increasing our base in the south, we are not strong in the south by any standards I would use. Now if you count all of our inactive southern chapters, you might have a case.

Sad, but true.......

And I'm nothing if not a realist.
I would agree...and I would not want to see us fail at a school like that. I think that maybe once we expand to a few "lesser" schools down there and become stronger where we already are, then we'd have a shot at it, but I would hate to see us spend all that money and then not succeed.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
Within the next few days the Office of Greek Life should have the names othe New Members of Sororities and Pledges of Fraternities listed on their site.

here is the site.
http://www.greeks.olemiss.edu/
I tried this site, and the first couple of days it said it was under construction. When I checked today, there was nothing about the bid list, no link or anything. The only thing there was something about registering your group for something.

Will they show the bid list at all? Where would it be if not at this site?
Old 10-14-2003, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MSKKG
I tried this site, and the first couple of days it said it was under construction. When I checked today, there was nothing about the bid list, no link or anything. The only thing there was something about registering your group for something.

Will they show the bid list at all? Where would it be if not at this site?
Gotta love Ole Miss Greek Life...yes they did have a link up last week but now they have their fundraiser there. I would think to just keep on checking back to see if they have the links up. I know some of us are still waiting on the ranks for the Spring 2003 grades to be posted!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2003, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Before it became the fundraising site, I did see the men's bid list. It only went through half of the fraternities before it showed an error message unfortunately. The list for the women wasn't up. Oh well.

Last edited by aopirose; 10-14-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Now the message is that the site is being updated. Maybe it takes a lot of time to type in all those names!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiLlama
From what I've heard, it would be a virtual impossibility to start a new NPC chapter there because the other ones have been there for such a long time. Southern tradition and all that.
Well, maybe not..... Kappa Alpha Theta was established at Ole Miss in 1979, just less than 25 years ago. We are far younger than most of the other groups on campus. For the first several years, we had no house on a campus with HUGE sorority houses. We rushed in the student union on hideous orange & brown carpet :-(

We were the first Theta chapter in the state, so we had precious few alums close by for support. Our charter members had Big Sisters from the University of Alabama. Because so many Mississippi girls stay in state for college, many PNMs knew very little about Theta. They are raised from birth to pledge ChiO or Tri Delt or DG!

It was a lot of work at the beginning, but it CAN be done successfully at Ole Miss! Our new house was built within the first 3 years, which was absolutely crucial. The Theta chapter is among the strongest on campus.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kayla0deegee
Ok for those of us who go to rather small schools can you imagine having 250+ sistesrs? Quota at Morehead is 60...60 girls... we only have like 100 girls go through recruitment. I cant even imagine recruitment.. i bet it is HARD!!!!!Im still just in complete shock that this is possible. You know its kinda bad for those of us who go to small schools...it seems so unbalanced!! Here they have way too many and we have way not enough. The smallest National sorority at Morehead is Tri-Sigma and until they meet quota we cant raise the amount of girls we can pick up!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Sorry I haven't jumped in on this one yet...been busy w/ school...
It would be suicide for ADPi or ZTA to try to come back on because they were not successful the first time and that would always be hanging over their heads...

I'm not sure that a new organization could survive...the others are sooo established and many girls are legacies.

Truthfully...most girls going through have a sorority in mind...now once they get in the rush process they often change their mind, but they are all well aware of the reputation of each group...and all of the current chapters are so strong that I'm not sure a new one could stand a fair chance.

I agree that there are way too many members in the sororities at Ole Miss. It is very difficult to learn everyone's name...most people don't know everyone's name in their sorority...let alone getting to know them. Living in the house helps...but then again most of the houses only hold up to 50 or 60.

The new way of doing rush this year helped more girls get in a house, but it also increased the numbers. They go up every year. When I pledged quota was 60, I think. And this year when I am graduating it was 86, I think -with most houses getting around 91 new pledges. Still even with the numbers I don't think a new house could make it. Even if it were to be one that is strong in the south.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Any sorority, including those who have recently failed at Ole Miss, can successfully colonize there. Its very simple. From reading this thread, Ole Miss has the most superficial greek system in the country. Don't fight it, go with it.

This is the plan; Sorority X starts recruitment the day after formal rush ends. They only pledge up women who are drop-dead gorgeous. Not cute, not nice, but beyond pretty. They don't go for high numbers. 10-20 will do. Sorority X also buys letters for these women. Lots and lots of letters. They wear them everywhere, and within a few months of men salivating, and women complaining, they now have the reputation as the prettiest. Two months after the first batch of women go through, they recruit a second pledge class. Two months later another, and two months later another. Sorority X also invests the money into a house, and there you have it. A new, and successful Ole Miss sorority.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:51 AM

It doesn't quite work that way. Many of those pretty girls already have a sorority in mind that they want to join. Why would they join a colony when they can be an XYZ which is already established and a top-tier sorority? Also, it's not just pretty girls that make a chapter great. You need a well-rounded chapter in order to survive. A bunch of pretty faces won't keep a chapter going. The idea is to recruit pretty faces, leaders, girls on the honor roll, and girls who are good at sports. This mix makes a good chapter. Unfortunately, girls who excel at these things are usually already in an established chapter. At very competitive, southern universities like Ole Miss, it is hard to recruit these top girls because these girls will usually only want a specific sorority and naturally it is not the one that is colonizing.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

What hottytoddy and ZTAngel said!!!!!!!

And that, my friends, is why it is so @#! hard for any new sorority to come on at a strongly Greek Southern campus.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
Any sorority, including those who have recently failed at Ole Miss, can successfully colonize there. Its very simple. From reading this thread, Ole Miss has the most superficial greek system in the country. Don't fight it, go with it.
Though your "plan" might work at FSU, I firmly believe it would fail at Ole Miss. Ole Miss greek system itself is not so superficial, it is based more on tradition and legacy. Most of the young ladies who attend Ole Miss are following in their mother or father's footsteps, and being a southern women, they happen to be naturally beautiful . Mother's want their daughter's to continue on with family tradition. PNMs want to join the chapters they grew-up seeing on campus on those fall Saturday afternoons. I am well aware at FSU recs do not play as large a role in recruitment, as does beauty and clothes labels. At Ole Miss, recs, family tradtion, legacy, high school, church and finance's come before beauty (not that it is not considerd).

As I mentioned earlier: This year 92% of the 889 PNM's particitpating in Formal Recruitment were placed in one of the nine chapters! Quota was set at 86, which all nine chapters met! However, more than half of the sororities on campus took a pledge class of 90+ NMs! I am hard pressed to find another campus that can match the University of Mississippi's placement rate this year (and I doubt anyone else could on a campus with 500+ PNM rushing). I think that it is more likely that the majority of the 8% were released by the "ONE" sorority they had to have, so they dropped out, as opposed to being released by all nine chapters.

Recruitment is in October, most of the young ladies that are interested in Greek Life rush at that time. If we were to use your formula, less than 80 girls would be interested in the New Chapter... hummm, all nine chapters at Ole Miss are close to, at or over 200 members. You also have to think about the cost of a house... It is a large committment.

I am sure it is possible, however it must be a chapter that bleeds southern tradition. One that the PNMs mother was possibly in at LSU, MSU, Southern Miss, UT, UA, UAL or AU. Most of those chapters are represented on campus already. You also have to think about the cost of a house... It is a large committment.