GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,422
3 members and 1,419 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Baylor University(TX) Panhellenic has began discussing the possibility of expansion.

http://baylorlariat.com/2018/03/19/p...inth-sorority/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Kappa Beta Gamma has to be getting close to the requirements to join the NPC nationally as the 27th...
I’m not entirely sure that they want to do that. It would probably seriously curtail their expansion.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I’m not entirely sure that they want to do that. It would probably seriously curtail their expansion.
True. And their average chapter size is much smaller than other panhellenic chapters on several campuses. Plus they don't tend to be housed. I'm super excited for their growth in the last several years, but don't know if NPC would necessarily be the best fit for them. I don't know what the benefits would be for their IHQ.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
True. And their average chapter size is much smaller than other panhellenic chapters on several campuses. Plus they don't tend to be housed. I'm super excited for their growth in the last several years, but don't know if NPC would necessarily be the best fit for them. I don't know what the benefits would be for their IHQ.
This^ I assume they can participate in NPC recruitment if they'd like. I know that other non NPC organizations are allowed to participate in NPC recruitment on their campuses if they wish. Unless there is some price break for liability insurance through the NPC, I don't see the advantage for them at this time.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

If they did want to join NPC, my guess is that one possible advantage of participating would be for the perceived prestige of being a part of an international NPC brand instead of being considered a campus outlier group by potential members. I'm not familiar enough with KBG to know if they have any of those kinds of perception issues at the local level.

Otherwise, what keeps a smaller NPC, such as TPA (57 chapters), from leaving NPC?

True and Constant
Old 03-21-2018, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
KBG only has 2 chapters that have existed for more than 9 years. That doesn't seem to bode well for joining the NPC if that's something they are even interested in.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
KBG only has 2 chapters that have existed for more than 9 years. That doesn't seem to bode well for joining the NPC if that's something they are even interested in.
Seconded.

Unless KBG knows they'll have a good deal of alum involvement and participation in any newer colony IDK how they'll manage to successfully grow as they have been attempting (read other GC threads).

There is also a thought in my mind as to whether KBG is contemplating future discussions with any NPC group(s) as to a possible merger should KBG become unable to grow in any meaningful way or if KBG somewhat successfully grows but remains smaller in chapter number.

The current KBG expansion attempt seems to be the placement of colonies at large and/or expensive colleges and universities. Some of the schools they have chosen have established greek systems that may not really be suited for KGB success. Time alone will tell.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

They will be colonizing at Texas next. They announced it on Facebook.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post

Otherwise, what keeps a smaller NPC, such as TPA (57 chapters), from leaving NPC?
Nothing. I won’t be at all shocked if this happens at some point (not TPA specifically) and think it will probably happen before KBG joins the NPC. No, I don’t have any secret info, this is entirely my personal opinion.

Re KBG, it seems their strategy is twofold: small schools with small Greek systems where the student body doesn’t really care if they’re NPC or not, and big schools as a purely social (as opposed to service/social or academic/social) alternative to the giant NPC rush and chapters. Southeast Missouri seems out of both those zones, but who knows.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Then who would be the best fit for the NPC? If not KBG, does anyone see another sorority ever joining?

Perhaps the reason they don't have houses and larger chapter sizes is because they aren't part of NPC. Let's be honest - being a part of this blanket organization offers many benefits. The recruitment system alone provides for a huge advantage.

Speaking for AST, we don't have a lot of big, fancy houses, and we generally have smaller chapters, but we currently have 90 chapters and our sorority is thriving. It's amazing to see how far we've come in the 14 years since I joined.

It's easy to be on the inside looking out and think that KBG just wouldn't cut it, but I'd never make that assumption simply based on the size of their chapters or how many houses they have.

That being said, any organization that attempts to join the NPC is going to face an uphill battle due to history, tradition, and the stronghold that the current NPC sororities have on college campuses across the country.

But as 33girl said, that very well may not be KBG's intention right now.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-23-2018, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Per Facebook, KBG will be colonizing at Penn State's main campus. And also (per FB), St. John's University in Staten Island. 6 colonies this spring.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Delta Theta reinstalled the Ontario Epsilon chapter at Carleton University this evening.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

ATO is no longer recognized by Belmont University due to an incident at Chili's Bar/Grill. Not sure if this was mentioned.

https://totalfratmove.com/belmont-at...lis-grill-bar/
Old 03-24-2018, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
ATO is no longer recognized by Belmont University due to an incident at Chili's Bar/Grill. Not sure if this was mentioned.

https://totalfratmove.com/belmont-at...lis-grill-bar/
Wait... what? Is this for real?

ETA: http://belmontvision.com/2017/11/ato...ted-to-appeal/

I don't even really know what to say. And after reading this article, I only have more questions.

And Belmont actually has a policy that essentially states: If there's only one fraternity on campus, that fraternity must admit 100 percent of applicants? Wtf?

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 03-24-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Wait... what? Is this for real?

ETA: http://belmontvision.com/2017/11/ato...ted-to-appeal/

I don't even really know what to say. And after reading this article, I only have more questions.

And Belmont actually has a policy that essentially states: If there's only one fraternity on campus, that fraternity must admit 100 percent of applicants? Wtf?

Indeed. LaneSig posted this thread last year. Belmont- Everyone Gets a Bid?
Also, ATO loss their appeal. However; I am not sure if ATO HQ closed the chapter.