GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,969
1 members and 1,968 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Awesome...I've never seen that before!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-25-2011, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzieAlum View Post
To go along with the thread on rec policies, what is your sorority's legacy policy?

Alpha Xi Delta's is:

A legacy is the granddaughter, daughter or sister of an Alpha Xi Delta member. This includes half-sisters or step relations. Alpha Xi Delta college chapters are not required to pledge every legacy, but they are obligated to give each legacy special attention and careful consideration during recruitment.

A legacy may be released during recruitment only with the permission of the chapter's Area Facilitator. If the chapter has received a reference on a legacy, and that legacy is released, the mother, grandmother or sister is called and told of the decision.

An Alpha Xi Delta legacy should be a qualified potential member who meets Alpha Xi Delta's grade requirements, is compatible with chapter members, and is involved in campus/community activities.
I may be wrong, but it has been my understanding that Alpha Xi considers nieces to be legacies, too. I seem to recall that nieces were added in the relatively recent past, but IDK the exact date. See

http://www.alphaxidelta.org/index.ph...&category=Main

"Alpha Xi Delta's Legacy Policy: Is your daughter, granddaughter, sister or niece going through recruitment (this includes half-sisters and step relatives)? If so, then she is a legacy!"

(Underlining added)

Last edited by exlurker; 01-25-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
Gamma Phi Beta

Legacy information from Gamma Phi Beta:

"A legacy is a (step) sister, (step) daughter, granddaughter or great granddaughter of a member of Gamma Phi Beta. Gamma Phi Beta chapters should pay special attention to legacies and get to know them well before a decision is made... Legacies should be actively recruited... Being a legacy does not guarantee a 'match'; the mutual selection process means the legacy- just like every potential new member- must find a group that appeals to her and vice-versa. We want a legacy to pledge Gamma Phi Beta as a result of a mutual attraction and then become a positive addition to the chapter through her added loyalty and inherent knowledge of the Sorority. It is important to remember that a legacy has a 'legacy maker' that is, a Gamma Phi Beta relative... She wants what is best for her legacy, and to her Gamma Phi Beta is the best. Not all legacies 'match' to Gamma Phi Beta for a variety of reasons; however, special care must be taken when dealing with legacies because of the respect owed to those sisters who are the 'legacy makers.' "
Also:
"Legacies should be extended an invitation to the first invitational [usually 2nd Round] of events. If a legacy is released, the chapter's regional coordinator, chapter advisor and recruitment advisor should be notified as soon as possible... Notification of relatives is left up to the discretion of the legacy if she is released. It's her responsibility to communicate with relatives about her recruitment status."

TEII
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 PM

Tri Sigma = sister, daughter, granddaughter.

The official policy is similar to other NPCs that have posted here.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind the original posting is quite old, and that policy does change.

With that in mind, as of right now, A Kappa Alpha Theta Legacy is as follows:

"A Theta legacy is defined as a daughter, granddaughter, great-granddaughter, or sister of a Kappa Alpha Theta. Stepdaughters, step granddaughters, step great-granddaughters, and stepsisters are considered legacies if their family considers them as such and if the family asks that they be considered as such on the legacy introduction form. These women deserve special consideration.

There is no such thing as an indirect legacy (i.e., cousin, niece, etc.), and such persons are not given special consideration. However, we recognize that they may have special knowledge of and interest in Kappa Alpha Theta and are warmly welcomed and recruited. "
Old 01-25-2011, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
Does anybody know Chi O's policies?
A legacy is a daughter or sister of an initiated Chi Omega member in good standing.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I find it interesting that Phi Mu and Theta are the only ones I've seen that mention great-granddaughters. Is it just that a lot of organizations are too young to even have great-granddaughters going through yet? I wonder if more will include them as time goes on.

Also, I'm glad my organization includes step-relations. I hope all will move in that direction, too.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

From the open part of Alpha Delta Pi's website:

"A legacy is a sister, daughter, or granddaughter of an initiated member of Alpha Delta Pi. We believe the initiation of these women strengthens family ties, giving the chapter increased support. ADPi members are welcome to introduce a potential member or legacy to a collegiate chapter using our Potential Member and Legacy Forms."
My little sister didn't fill these forms out for her daughters, but I have it on very good authority that several alumnae made sure that their status was known!

While great-granddaughters aren't mentioned, a tie to any Adelphean, Alpha Delta Phi, or Alpha Delta Pi prior to say, 1950, is going to be considered a legacy - especially an Adelphean!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

From Kappa's FAQ for PNM's:

What is a legacy? And what does that mean during Recruitment?
A legacy is the sister, daughter or granddaughter of an initiated Kappa. While we give careful consideration to legacies given their knowledge of and exposure to Kappa, there are often more legacies enrolled in Recruitment than quota space allows.

Last edited by Kappamd; 01-25-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, everyone. I was wondering if Chi O legacies are guaranteed first placement on the bid list if they pref. I haven't been able to find that info.

Ah. Here:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=90255&page=2

Last edited by Primrose; 01-25-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I find it interesting that Phi Mu and Theta are the only ones I've seen that mention great-granddaughters. Is it just that a lot of organizations are too young to even have great-granddaughters going through yet? I wonder if more will include them as time goes on.

Also, I'm glad my organization includes step-relations. I hope all will move in that direction, too.
Hmmm... I always thought DG was excluding great-granddaughters because our reasoning is similar to what Kappamd posted for Kappa, that exposure to DG growing up is what makes a legacy a unique contributor. Therefore, it is unlikely that a great-grandmother could give a lifetime of exposure to DG to her great-granddaughter unless she is alive and active to a very old age or all generations had children early.

I wish DG included great-granddaughters in the legacy definition -- I just like the tie to the past and tradition!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I also don't understand how a legacy could be guaranteed placement on the first bid list. Does that mean a chapter can't invite too many legacies to pref?

Phi Mu openly states that they are given preference in making the final bid list, but says nothing about guarantees (which matches my experience in preparing bid lists).
Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I also don't understand how a legacy could be guaranteed placement on the first bid list. Does that mean a chapter can't invite too many legacies to pref?

Phi Mu openly states that they are given preference in making the final bid list, but says nothing about guarantees (which matches my experience in preparing bid lists).
Yeah, that's exactly what it means. We never had a problem with it since we never had more than 5 legacies go through, but we definitely thought more about the legacies in MS since we knew we HAD to cut them before pref or not at all.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

At Kansas State U (of all places) Panhellenic's Fall 2011 Recruitment booklet has a nifty summary of the legacy relationships for each of the twelve chapters there. Sorry, it doesn't go into the notification question or getting permission to release a legacy.

Now if we only had a similar list for the remaining fourteen. . . . .

Anyway, FWIW:

http://www.k-state.edu/greek/documen...itment_002.pdf

“Below is what each chapter considers a legacy:
Alpha Chi Omega: sister, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother

Alpha Delta Pi: sister, mother, grandmother

Alpha Xi Delta: sister, mother, grandmother, aunts, step-relatives

Chi Omega: sister, mother

Delta Delta Delta: sister, mother, step-sister, step-mother

Gamma Phi Beta: sister, mother, grandmother, step-sister, step-mother

Kappa Alpha Theta: sister, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother

Kappa Delta: sister, mother, grandmother, step-sister, step-mother, half-relatives

Kappa Kappa Gamma: sister, mother, grandmother

Pi Beta Phi: sister, mother, grandmother

Sigma Kappa: sister, mother, grandmother, aunt, step-relatives

Zeta Tau Alpha: sister, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunts, step-relatives “

[QUOTE=FuzzieAlum;194770]To go along with the thread on rec policies, what is your sorority's legacy policy? . . .
QUOTE]
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi Alpha is "sister, daughter, stepdaughter, granddaughter, or great-granddaughter."

Θ Φ Α