GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,446
1 members and 2,445 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2014, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Miss America kicked out of Alpha Phi for hazing

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...port_says.html

"When someone reported Kazantsev and her friend for "dirty pledging," Hofstra didn't turn a blind eye. After a months-long investigation into their actions, our source says, the pair was expelled from Alpha Phi in late 2013 and told they could no longer participate in any sorority activities, including the end-of-year formal."

Got to give her credit for chutzpah - she listed her position in Alpha Phi in her Miss New York information on the Miss America website.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...port_says.html

"When someone reported Kazantsev and her friend for "dirty pledging," Hofstra didn't turn a blind eye. After a months-long investigation into their actions, our source says, the pair was expelled from Alpha Phi in late 2013 and told they could no longer participate in any sorority activities, including the end-of-year formal."

Got to give her credit for chutzpah - she listed her position in Alpha Phi in her Miss New York information on the Miss America website.

Saw that last night on FB when one of my friends posted it from Jezabel. I'm not sure how much to believe but there is probably some truth to it.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

This is being talked about already in the Miss America thread.

Not trying to be snarky...just wanted you to know in case you wanted to join the discussion!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
How did Hofstra kick her out of Alpha Phi?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I think that Alpha Phi terminated her membership, according to the article. That sentence is misleading, IMO. And I know it wasn't written by SWTXBelle!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-23-2014, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
^^^ I think that Alpha Phi terminated her membership, according to the article. That sentence is misleading, IMO. And I know it wasn't written by SWTXBelle!
That's why I left the quotes. It's so super aggravating to me the people who think Universities play a part in membership decisions. I mean, far be it for the sorority to get any kind of acknowledgement in taking hazing seriously and taking steps to address it. The way these people are writing about it is like "Oh Hoftra's totally cracking down!" and it's like... no. The sororities are cracking down.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

No, I didn't write it!

Yes, it is misleading. I think that what may have happened was the University did an investigation (probably with Alpha Phi's cooperation) which lead to Alpha Phi pulling the badge.

And no, I don't think a badge is going to be pulled because you skipped a meeting. I have every confidence in Alpha Phi's due process. If she self-terminated I have to think she had good reason to, and if she were indeed innocent of any hazing she would not have had said good reason.

I'm really offended by the Miss America Organization's "Well, we should focus on her good grades" defense.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:08 PM

Why don't they make the crown large enough to fit a grown woman's head? That looks ridiculous.

Back to the hazing discussion...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

She stated on GMA this morning, "she was hazed as a Frosh, so thought it was alright". Dah, where has she been? Under a rock?
Just a thought.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Why don't they make the crown large enough to fit a grown woman's head? That looks ridiculous.

Back to the hazing discussion...
Bwah. Maybe she just has an extra big head.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Bwah. Maybe she just has an extra big head.
Well she did triple major...
Old 09-23-2014, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Crown

The dinky crown is a trademark of the Miss America pageant. My niece is an "Outstanding Teen" (Miss America's teen program) and has one. It does look rather silly, but distinctive.