GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,410
2 members and 1,408 guests
No Members online

Old 11-03-2011, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Switching from a Local Sorority to a National (National Panhellenic Conference)

Hey y'all,

Just wanted some advice on my situation. Currently, I go to a small school and Greek life isn't as prominent as it should be here. I am part of a local sorority here, and I am now an active for this semester. I didn't really have plans to transfer last year, but it seems like this is the case now. I will be transferring next semester to a bigger school, but they will not have my local organization. I plan to re-rush and hope to get into a NPC sorority, but I want to see what my chances were and if there were any bylaws against accepting someone who was in a local sorority.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as I know there is nothing that says a member from a local sorority cannot join a NPC sorority. Go ahead and rush at your new school but no one can tell you what your chances are
Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I think rules may vary from organization to organization. No harm in trying, though.

My understanding of Kappa's national bylaws is that a member may not be pledged to or a member of any similar organization, other than honorary or professional org.

Last edited by amIblue?; 11-03-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe the NPC rules say you can't leave one NPC group to join another after you've initiated. You've never joined an NPC sorority so it shouldn't make a difference. Whether that will help or hurt your chances in real life is something we can't know or help with. But best of luck to you! Hopefully you can find a home and enjoy it as much or more as your current group.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Our bylaws have the NPC and the "any similar group" spelled out.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
That may be a chapter bylaw as I just looked in the National bylaws and it says "She has not been initiated into any other member group of the National Panhellenic Conference."
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
That may be a chapter bylaw as I just looked in the National bylaws and it says "She has not been initiated into any other member group of the National Panhellenic Conference."
I'll PM you the page and reference.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Does it specify any similar on the same campus, or is the OP's type of situation included as well?

That seems kind of over the top, JMO. Unless something specific occasioned it (i.e. someone joined a local, transferred, joined KKG and all of a sudden her local were all wearing light & dark blue keys and adopted an owl).
Old 11-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Our bylaws only stipulate other NPCs. Women in locals may be considered.

It's worth a shot. Of course I don't know how having been in a local is viewed at the school you're going to.

Example: if you're transfering to a more competitive school, it may matter. But at a less competitive one, it might not.

Sidenote: be honest with your local sorority sisters about planning to rush at your new school. I wouldn't let them just log into FB and see your new XYZ NPC sorority bid day pics and feel blindsided because they didn't know. It avoids random hurt feelings.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone! It seems like you girls are saying that it doesn't really matter since I never joined an NPC; so it might as well be worth a shot.

@amIblue?: so is it for just your chapter specifically that says y'all don't accept people who have been in "similar organizations"?

@KSUViolet06: You bring up an excellent point about letting my sisters know, that would be terrible for them to just find out the FB way.

I wouldn't be violating any National Panhellenic Conference bylaws; therefore, I am still eligible to rush? But I might not be eligible in certain chapters - is that what I should be concerned about?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by haley36 View Post
Thanks everyone! It seems like you girls are saying that it doesn't really matter since I never joined an NPC; so it might as well be worth a shot.

@amIblue?: so is it for just your chapter specifically that says y'all don't accept people who have been in "similar organizations"?

@KSUViolet06: You bring up an excellent point about letting my sisters know, that would be terrible for them to just find out the FB way.

I wouldn't be violating any National Panhellenic Conference bylaws; therefore, I am still eligible to rush? But I might not be eligible in certain chapters - is that what I should be concerned about?
You are eligible to rush. Individual chapters have to decide if you meet their membership requirements.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley36 View Post
amIblue?: so is it for just your chapter specifically that says y'all don't accept people who have been in "similar organizations"?
amiblue? is telling Mevara (who is also a KKG) from another chapter where to find it in the national bylaws, so I would assume she's saying that this applies to KKG as a whole, not just for her chapter.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
amiblue? is telling Mevara (who is also a KKG) from another chapter where to find it in the national bylaws, so I would assume she's saying that this applies to KKG as a whole, not just for her chapter.
Yes, I was referring Mevara to our national bylaws. I'm not sure we agree on the interpretation. I could ask someone at HQ, but I've probably said too much anyway on a public message board.

To the original OP, what will your status be with your local when you transfer? As far as Kappa is concerned, when a collegiate member in good standing transfers to a new school where there is no chapter, we become alumnae. I think this is fairly standard for NPC groups.

I get that you'll miss sorority life at your new school (I had to transfer after my third year because of family issues, and it stunk seeing all the groups wearing their letters and having fun), but didn't you make a promise to your organization?

Anyway, you are definitely free to go through recruitment, and the chapters at your new school will figure out if they want you and if you are eligible for membership.

Last edited by amIblue?; 11-03-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 PM

It's worth a shot.

NPC doesn't have any rules stipulating that an initiate of a local sorority can't join an NPC sorority. There is a rule that, once initiated into one NPC sorority, you can never join another - but that isn't the case here. Some campus Panhellenics stipulate that if you join a local you cannot also join an NPC on the same campus - again, that isn't the case here.

So, if you choose, rush, and see what happens. Don't lie if asked whether you were in a local, but don't volunteer the information either.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes she sent me some clarification. It appears there is a bylaw that states as amIBlue said previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiblue?;
a member may not be pledged to or a member of any similar organization, other than honorary or professional org.