GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,936
4 members and 1,932 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

And there are many alumnae chapters in cities where there isn't a collegiate chapter nearby.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
for others, you can start seeing movements toward a more formalized AI program that might one day look more like NPHC alumnae intake.
If that occurs, then I look for that org to leave the NPC.

Touching on what baci said, there are good reasons for AI, but "we can't get our current alums involved and would rather just AI people" is most certainly not one of them. Don't have a baby to save your marriage - fix the marriage first.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Why should it want to leave the NPC? It wouldn't.

Everybody's AI is different in the first place, and it seems to me that at least some members of NPC organizations expressed a desire to tighten up the way AI's are selected for their orgs.

No NPHC organization "recruits" on the alumni level anyway.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Why should it want to leave the NPC? It wouldn't.

Everybody's AI is different in the first place, and it seems to me that at least some members of NPC organizations expressed a desire to tighten up the way AI's are selected for their orgs.

No NPHC organization "recruits" on the alumni level anyway.
Well then I have a question - are there NPHC alum chapters who can say "we aren't going to accept anyone at the graduate level" or is that bucking policy?

I think I might be responding to something different than I think it is.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well then I have a question - are there NPHC alum chapters who can say "we aren't going to accept anyone at the graduate level" or is that bucking policy?

I think I might be responding to something different than I think it is.
To answer it a *tad* differently, I have never heard of an NPHC alumni/grad chapter that was required to have intake at all.

I have heard of alumni chapters opting to wait years upon years before conducting intake, up to ten years in some cases, simply because that's their prerogative.

All I'm saying (back to my original point) is that those NPC orgs which have looser requirements for AI are not going to reverse their positions and view AI as an "honor" -- it's more likely that they will take an NPHC perspective of "invitation only" at the discretion of the alumni chapter, while instituting a better screening process.

(Only responding to what I've read on GC over the years)
Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I run the risk of seeming that I'm running down the NPC groups when I say this, but I think the missions and histories of the groups are so fundamentally different than NPHC groups that I don't ever seeing AI like graduate chapter intake.

It's possible that AI will expand to serve undergraduate chapters, but I don't really see AI expanding to serve the general mission of any NPC organization.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To answer it a *tad* differently, I have never heard of an NPHC alumni/grad chapter that was required to have intake at all.

I have heard of alumni chapters opting to wait years upon years before conducting intake, up to ten years in some cases, simply because that's their prerogative.
I'm a little unclear...sorry if I'm sounding nosy I have no knowledge at all about NPHC orgs and how they recruit, I only know that the alumnae/grad chapters are really different than the typical NPC alumnae chapter, mostly much larger. Do you mean that alumni/grad chapters have candidates that wait ten years to be initiated or that an alumnae group may or may not participate in recruitment for ten years?

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent&pearls View Post
I'm a little unclear...sorry if I'm sounding nosy I have no knowledge at all about NPHC orgs and how they recruit, I only know that the alumnae/grad chapters are really different than the typical NPC alumnae chapter, mostly much larger. Do you mean that alumni/grad chapters have candidates that wait ten years to be initiated or that an alumnae group may or may not participate in recruitment for ten years?
I know it's just semantics, but let's not call it "recruitment" and call it instead "the initiation of new alumni/ae members."

Depending on the rules of that particular NPHC group, I mean both.

Yes, somebody could be waiting ten years for the *chance* to be initiated.

AND

An alumni/ae chapter might indeed opt not to provide the chance of initiation for ten years.

There are 9 NPHC orgs and likely 9 different approaches to alumni intake, including residency requirements of the applicant. Some organizations conduct the initiation of new alumni/ae members by invitation only and you do not know you are being considered. For others, there may be a formal rush which is publicized in a local newspaper. For still others, you are responsible for securing one, two, three or more recommendations of your own.

ETA: What I do *not* mean is that someone is registered as an official candidate and just waits around for ten years. A chapter is either conducting intake or it isn't.

Last edited by Senusret I; 09-10-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent&pearls View Post
...that an alumnae group may or may not participate in recruitment for ten years?
This. Membership intake for every type of organization is based on need (and want). For example, graduate chapters that have low member turnover may not feel the need based on numbers, but may eventually desire some newness.

But we never do recruitment.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-10-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know it's just semantics, but let's not call it "recruitment" and call it instead "the initiation of new alumni/ae members."
It isn't semantics. I see a big difference in purpose and meaning.

Quote:
Depending on the rules of that particular NPHC group, I mean both.

Yes, somebody could be waiting ten years for the *chance* to be initiated.

AND

An alumni/ae chapter might indeed opt not to provide the chance of initiation for ten years.
Well, yeah, it goes without saying that aspirants will have to wait if a chapter isn't having intake and the aspirants can't access/qualify for a chapter that is having intake.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is semantics depending on one's definition of recruitment. For example, I consider advertising for, inviting folx to, and holding a RUSH as recruitment. Both collegiate and alumnae chapter MUST have a RUSH. And to be perfectly honest many members do talk to non-members and encourage them to apply. And even in sponsorship processes, my guess is many of the candidates have been recruited by the sponsor.

What we DON"T do is give pospects a bid and wait for them to choose us.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

Right. I'm talking about the formal events called "recruitment." We don't do that, so it isn't a matter of semantics.

Pardon me if I poorly worded my reply to Senusret.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Thanks! That's really interesting. As a collegian, I was aware of the NPHC groups on my campus, but didn't ever know much about their membership activities.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 09-11-2009, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
I'm an AI and was initiated almost 9 years ago. I did not join to re-live my college years or to attend collegiate type socials or b/c I didn't have friends in college. Sororities did not exist on my campus when I was there. One of my co-workers is an alumna and we started talking about GPB one day - what it was all about, what alumnae did, what she gets out of it now, stuff like that.

I did some research to learn more about the sorority (didn't know at the time I could join) and we talked more about it and I found that the values and mission of the sorority were very similar to mine. I told my friend that it seemed like a great organization and something that I thought would be nice to be a part of, thinking that would never happen. That's when she told me about AI.

I attended some alumnae gatherings and met them and they ranged in age from about 10 years older than me to 50 years older (I was 24 at the time). They were such a fun and nice bunch of women to be around. They didn't care that I was younger and that they could be my mom or grandma. We got along and enjoyed being around each other.

It did not matter that I did not have a collegiate experience to relate to their's. We had families, hobbies and other things that we could talk about. Alumnae life does not exist solely to talk about what you did in college.

Why is AI beneficial? To bring women into the sisterhood that share the same ideals and values of the organization and are willing to advance it's mission in whatever way she is able to (advisor, philanthropy work, being a great sister). It's pretty much the same reason as collegiates recruit members, but doing those things with other alumnae and often on different levels. Not every woman who has the potential to be a great sister had the opportunity to start that journey in college, so why look down upon them if they are truly a good fit for the organization?

I do agree that AI is not a substitute for not getting a bid in college and it is not for everyone. The intent of the PAI must be determined before considering her for membership.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Like I know what it is and I understand in the rare cases where it's a woman who has done exceptional things for an organization.

What I don't understand is the desire for post-collegiate women to join an organization whose foundation starts in college. Maybe I just don't know enough because I'm still active and in college but part of me feels like alumni life is more volunteering at chapters, advising and such. Things that seem like it would help to have gone through active collegiate membership.

I guess my ultimate thought is there are so many other ways to volunteer if that's what you're looking for why AI.
Alumna membership in our organizations is so much more than just assisting collegiate chapters. I am MUCH closer to women from my alumnae club than I ever was to my chapter sisters. We have gotten married together, had babies together, become single moms (divorced) together, cared for our sick parents.. the support system is amazing. It was an alumna sister who found a care giver for my mom when she needed one. Several alumnae were there for me at my mother's funeral. I went on a vacation with an alumna sister from another state who I met through being on our volunteer services team this year, because we are both single moms and needed some time away without our children, but who do you do that with when you're a single mom? Most of my friends at work, from grade school, college and who I've met through my kids activities are married and cannot do things like that. I've got a corp group of women and know that I can shoot an email to the club saying "Hey, this band is playing at the city festival next weekend and I want to go, who's interested?" The friendships I've made with sisters from all over the country through volunteering as an alumna are some of the strongest I've ever had.

I was a collegian for 4 years, I am an alumna for life (22 years so far). My life as an alumna has been rich and rewarding. I think the NPC groups are lacking in this area because we are too focused on the collegiate experience. The majority of our members are alumnae, not collegians.

I agree with those who have said that those hoping to live a collegiate experience that didn't happen would be very disappointed with AI. AI is the exception and not the rule and there is definitely an expectation for involvement. However, there is nothing is in the Alpha Gamma Delta Purpose (or any other NPC creeds, symphonies, etc.) that allude to the collegiate experience only! These are lifelong value systems for which we strive to meet. Being involved as an alumna doesn't necessarily have anything to do with collegiate chapters. It IS about sisterhood, philanthropy and living up to the ideals of the organization. It IS about support, friendship, genuine caring and sharing the bond of our ritual as we live our lives, for a lifetime.
Closed Thread